Installing Mopar Spark Plug Wires

LQQK_OUT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi!
I just recently picked up a set of Mopar Spark Plug wires for my '97 GTS from the PartsRack. Last night I head out to the car to install them, and low and behold I'm not sure how I get to the coils. Can someone tell me the secret to getting easier access to them? I do not see how I can snake my hand in the back of the engine to reach them.

Thanks,

brett bartick

dblankenbaker

Viper Owner
Reaction score
One little warning:

Do not LEAN on your windshield when replacing the wires. One guy in our club did this and cracked his windshield (from the bottom center, up).

Dixter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can't get the wipers off of the car ( I couldn't )
then it is possible to change the wires without removing
the cowl. I did mine that way.

Just remove one wire at a time working on one side only and
from front to rear.

Take the plug end off and work towards the coil. Work your
hand up to the end at the coil and pull off. Now you just
reverse the process. Now move to the next wire until you
have a full bank done. Now move to the other bank and work
from front to back.

I started at the passenger side.

If you do this method make sure there aren't any little ones
around as there will be a few cuss words before its all over
and your arms will hurt for a couple days afterwards....
but it can be done dangit.

Oh, almost forgot.... some of the pain can be helped with
a few beers during this process. So depending on how fast
you drink beer it could take around 30 minutes or take over
3 hours and a couple of six packs. :)

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe, NOT SURE, that the information I posted above applies to all GEN II cars. I think Gen I's are different, as far as coil packs. Any experts know for sure?

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brett,

I just did it. You have to remove the windshield cowl (4 screws) and wipers (2 bolts). Gettting at the wiper bolts can be a pain. The little thingies at the bottom of the wipers need to pop up to access the bolt. Strong fingernails may do the trick, but I used the edge of a wooden spoon to pop them up. Maybe someone has a better technique for popping up these pesky things. Once you remove the windshield bolts, the wiper can be a battle to pull of. It takes a good pull to remove them. Again, there is probably some tool that would make this easy, but I just used good-ole-fashioned muscle. After removing the cowl, you will clearly see the coil. Oh yeah. You also have to disconnect the windshield wiper fluid line, to remove the wipers. Just follow the hose, and there should be a place near the firewall to disconnect the hose. When doing plugs, you also can remove the left side air intake (where round hole is). 3 bolts and 1 screw. It's off. Makes the passenger side much easier to access. Probably don't HAVE to do this for wires, but may make things easier and only takes a minute to remove. Here is a previous post from my recent experience. I've been waiting to pass this on to someone. Good luck, and take your time.

-------------------------------------------

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I had a Gen 1 Viper, I successfully changed the plugs and plug wires by removing the cowl as stated above. I did not remove the wipers (just let them sit on the cowl which was sitting on the windshield). Be sure to place a towel under the cowl before putting it on the windshield. Removing the air intake on the passenger side of the hood is also very helpful. Remember to re-assemble the wipers in the manner in which you found them (drivers side wiper lies above the passenger side wiper) Also, keep Jon B.'s number handy.