1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insurance for Viper as primary vehicle?

Discussion in 'New Owner Questions' started by Destructo, Apr 17, 2013.

1. plumcrazy

plumcrazy Enthusiast

allstate covered mine up till last year when i sold it.

2. herbbone

herbbone Viper Owner

I have had Erie for over 25yrs. Great company and rates. Hard to get in. No problem with any vehicles I have had to insure.

3. DrumrBoy

DrumrBoy Enthusiast

If the rates for the Viper as primary are terrible, get a $200 bomber, insure it without collision or comprehensive (or whatever provides the lowest rates) and then do the Viper as a second car. Might even be cheaper. Haven't tried it but you could check on the economics of it pretty easily in a phone call to Geico......

4. Hemotoxic

Hemotoxic Enthusiast

I've been with State Farm for over 25 years, the last seven with a sports car as my only vehicle. I asked today about a 2013 Viper being my only vehicle and they said sure, for $2,100 a year, which is about double the premium for my 2011 Corvette base coupe. Well now I know what's the worst that can happen.

It could be they're still basing it on the sticker price because when I asked about a Corvette 427 early in its production run they told me something like $2,000 a year but now it's down to only a tad above my base coupe.

5. johniew398

johniew398 Enthusiast

Interesting you say that about USAA. I have been with them since 1978. We have four vehicles insured with them,
    2008 Viper ACR, 2010 GMC Sierra 4/4, 2012 Fiat Abarth and 2013 SL550. Our insurance runs us around $3,000 annually, full coverage on all.

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  6. aqwut

aqwut Enthusiast

$1500 one year full coverage for convertible, $1000 6 month road voverage
    $2000 one year full for coupe, $1200 6 months road coverage.

Small town insurance company. 31 years old with 3 suspensions in the past.

7. Charlie C

Charlie C Viper Owner

State Farm here and the Viper is my daily driver. $140 a month in Houston TX.

8. NastyGTS

NastyGTS Viper Owner

Allstate declined me also.....said they did not have any underwriters for this type of vehicle.

So I used state farm, 118 a month, full coverage with multi car discount.

The only reason I have allstate is that SF would now insure an enclosed race trailer........what gives here LOL

9. ViperSmith

ViperSmith Enthusiast

State Farm, 2013 Viper was $120/m addition on top of my BMW335i and my wives 5yo Rav4, with no restrictions. Was able to drop it down $45 a month by getting rid of the rental need, so all in all - can't complain.