Interior Door Handle Question

EA6BPilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the older version of the interior door handle (92-98), but I've always loved the look of the curvy brushed aluminum handle that came in 99 and laster. The plastic surround on my passenger side door handle has broken and I was wondering how hard it would be to swap out for the 99+ assembly. I know this can't be cheap, but does anyone know if its just an assembly swap or do I have to replace the entire door panel? The corner sections look interchangeable (with the exception of the handle itself), so I figure it would work. Anyone have any ideas if they can be found off a salvage vehicle? Also, any ideas on price? Thanks in advance.

Frank

jamesp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've done it. Got two full door panels from a wrecked 99 ACR and the handle assembly does come off. To fit it into a GenII Viper you have to make a few minor mods to the door panel and the door. If done correctly, you can even return the car to stock appearance/functionality using the original door handle. You cannot un-modify the door and panel but the modifications would be hidden under the stock handle bezel.

I contacted several Dodge dealers asking for part numbers for just the handle assembly but none had it. Through a friend I managed to get the number of the person at Chrysler who worked on the door panels and was able to get the part#'s. JonB looked them up and confirmed they are correct.

Here is what you'll have to do to use them: (sorry I don't have detailed pictures. I did the modification to see if it worked first, and thought I'd take pictures later but never did)

1. The hole in your door panel has to be much larger to accommodate the new handle. I just used a dremel tool for this.
2. A small section of the inner door needs to be ground down to clear room for the handle pocket. Again a dremel works fine.
3. The connector on the new handle is the opposite "sex" of the original. I basically had to take the connector from the stock handle off and splice it on to the new handle so that it would connect to the existing wire harness in the door.
4. I think there was also a bracket on the back side of the door that held the old door handle in place. That you can remove. On the passenger door, I think there was also a bracket or washer from the grab handle that was in the way. I think I either removed it or just reversed it. It did not compromise the use of the handle however.
5. Finally, the inner handle assemlby (the part that is behind the bezel) needs to be ground down. This really requires a picture but again I don't have one. You'll know what to do when you see it. If you tried to use it as is it would hit against a big part of the inner door. You can cut/grind that out of the door if you wish, but I found it better to remove the material from the door handle itself. This is probably the most difficult part of the procedure, but if you grind off a little at a time you'll get it right.
6. Once everything is clear you then screw the new bezel assembly to the door panel and install as a unit. This is tricky but not impossible.

I believe Dodge switched from the smoothe finish dash to the pebble grain in 98 and then used the new aluminum handles starting in 99. This means that if you order the new handles the bezel will have the pebble grain finish on it. On my 96 GTS the bezel no longer matches with my smoothe finish dash, but it does match the door so its not so obvious. Not having the handle from a Dodge Caravan (isn't that where the original handle came from?) anymore more than makes up for this.

Once you get the new handle/bezel its really pretty self explanatory what how to get it installed. I did this on my 96 GTS and I've been using them for a year or more now with no issues. I believe the new handles/bezels (which come as a unit) are around $250-300 each, so about $500-600 for a set.

Again since mine was an experiment to start with I used some from a wrecked Viper, so I haven't actually ordered the new parts so I can't verify that they are what they are supposed to be. I did however run the part numbers by JonB and he confirmed that is what they are listed as.

The part numbers I got were:
0SF94DX9AD (RIGHT)
0SF95DX9AD (LEFT)

Paul Scharf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If someone is interested in trying this conversion, I have "NEW" inner door handle assemblies in stock. I will figure out what I have in them and come up with a price.
These are the '99 up with the "brushed" finish pull handle.

Paul

DaytonaViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Did the conversion and it's not for the faint of heart. Actually not that hard if you don't mind grinding the crap out of things. Great updated look and have had no problems since installation 5 months ago. Thanks to jamesp(instructions) and Paul Scharf(parts). I've included some pics to help anyone who may be interested in attempting the conversion.

Cut_Door_Handle.jpg
Rear_view.jpg
Grinding.jpg
Handle.jpg
Cover.jpg
connector_swap.jpg
Back_view.jpg
Completed_3.jpg
Completed_1.jpg

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just for reference to see the amount that needs to be removed, in addition to the helpful pics above -
"old style" door handle opening (without bezel) followed by "new style opening (without bezel). My car came with one of each!
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

V

Venomiss

Did the conversion and it's not for the faint of heart. Actually not that hard if you don't mind grinding the crap out of things. Great updated look and have had no problems since installation 5 months ago. Thanks to jamesp(instructions) and Paul Scharf(parts). I've included some pics to help anyone who may be interested in attempting the conversion.

Very nice pictures of your steps. Thank you for sharing them.

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So, after seeing this last year I've put it on my long list of aesthetic mods. Now that the time is a little closer, does anyone know if the swap will work with a 1993? You guys with the newer cars have the solenoid that opens your doors, and my door opener is mechanical. Can this conversion be made mechanical, or is the swap for early Gen. II guys only?

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I might be wrong, but I don't believe it will work on any car from 1992-1996. Mainly because the 1997 and later cars uses an electrical door popper. The early cars have a mechanical opening device(metal rod).

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dammit. Anyone been inside both doors? Is there a way to rig it up? I'd be willing to experiment but I don't want to drop $400 on an experiment just to find out it won't work.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been inside both. I just don't see how it could be done. I installed an electric door popper on my old 96, but that was hooked thru the alarm box.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dammit. Anyone been inside both doors? Is there a way to rig it up? I'd be willing to experiment but I don't want to drop $400 on an experiment just to find out it won't work.

The gen. 2 latches have a provision for a metal rod. I would think it can be done.:2tu:

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But he wants to use the 99-02 latches. Do they have that same provision? I looked, but maybe I missed it :dunno:

Yup, they do. I just looked. A little rebend of the rod and maybe some clearancing on the door itself, (don't know about clearance on door panel,) should be good to go!!!!

I just made this mod on 97 doors.:2tu:

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been inside both. I just don't see how it could be done. I installed an electric door popper on my old 96, but that was hooked thru the alarm box.

Could just hook the door poppers to the door switch also if one already has poppers.

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, I may order them from Scharf and if I can't figure it out, send 'em back. If I can, then I'll post up about it.

Thanks to those with mo' knowledge and their willingness to share it!

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anything can be done if you have the time to play around......
Like said above, if you have door poppers can't see why you can't link the handle to the poppers

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I have not the poppers. Jalapeno poppers? Yes. Door poppers? No. I may give it a whirl and see if I can find some way to rig it all together. It can't be any worse than my ugly, broken bezel now.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I have not the poppers. Jalapeno poppers? Yes. Door poppers? No. I may give it a whirl and see if I can find some way to rig it all together. It can't be any worse than my ugly, broken bezel now.

It will work, you can do it!!!!
[media]http://gallery.viperclub.org/data/500/thumbs/DSC01172.JPG[/media]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery