Is it the g*damn clutch safety switch??

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was driving my Viper today, she was running real strong and I had been driving for about 45 minutes. I drive my car at least 2x/month, no reason for a dead battery. I stop by a friends house to have lunch, when I get in my car to leave...nothing. I push the start button and nothing happens. No click no nothing. The radio is still playing, the lights are all on, heater blowing, but the car will not start. I called Doug Levin and he said it is probably the clutch safety switch, but he said having that fail is rare on SRT 10's, and my car only has 5500 miles on it. I pressed the clutch all the way in several times, wiggled it side to side, nothing. I tried to find the switch down by the clutch to disconnect it, but I could not locate it. I ended up flatbedding my Viper to my house...I am just sick to my stomach. Anyone know what the hell this could be?

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The clutch switch is a plunger on the clutch actuator. basically, it's a slider on the metal plunger under the clutch. if you short the two wires together on it, you bypass the switch. for GenII's, they don't sell the switch separately which means you need to spend $125 on a clutch master cylinder. not sure about the SRT's though.

Joseph

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Joe, my buddy w/ a Gen 1 told me the same thing. I tried to locate the two wires, but I see several wires down there, and as I am not that qualified a Viper tech, I didnt want to take a chance and disconnect the wrong ones. Do you think the safety switch sounds like the culprit?

YellowViperSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The day i bought my viper, i stalled, I went to start it again, i had the same thing happen. the radio worked, but when i pushed the starter button nothing happened. I had it flatbeded to the dealer and it was there for a few days. I forgot what it was, i will need to find my papers, but it was some engine contol module or unit? something of that nature i think.

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The day i bought my viper, i stalled, I went to start it again, i had the same thing happen. the radio worked, but when i pushed the starter button nothing happened. I had it flatbeded to the dealer and it was there for a few days. I forgot what it was, i will need to find my papers, but it was some engine contol module or unit? something of that nature i think.
Yes, I am not convinced it is the clutch safety switch b/c that is very rare for SRT's, whatever you find out will be a big help. Thanks!

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone know how I can order the service manuel for the SRT 10?

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same problem with an intermittent clutch safety switch so I disconnected and jumped the clutch safety switch on my viper as it makes it easy to reach in and start the car so it can warm up before i drive it. If you go to my web page at http://www.members.aol.com/AtroRacingTeam/PRODUCTS/AtRoRacingsProductCatalog you can download the 2003 parts catalog where you can see the line drawing for this switch and get the part number. From a safety standpoint you really should have the switch replaced as it takes only 1/2 hr to do according to All-Data.

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Robbie this is a big help! Thanks! I was checking out the drawing of the clutch assembly on pg 30 of the parts catalog. It seems as if the safety switch is lable as no.10 on that drawing, w/ the wire going to and coming from that mechanism. If you have a minute to look at that page, let me know if that is the part I need to by pass.

Thanks again!

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check all the fuses in the pdc under the hood.There is a 20 or 25 amp mini fuse that if it is blown will give the same results.Chances of it being the clutch interlock switich are pretty slim.I have seen quite a few cars with the blown fuse.It gives no warning.

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check all the fuses in the pdc under the hood.There is a 20 or 25 amp mini fuse that if it is blown will give the same results.Chances of it being the clutch interlock switich are pretty slim.I have seen quite a few cars with the blown fuse.It gives no warning.
Thanks! I have the VEC 3, and I was wondering if I may have blown some kind of fuse due to this mod.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tom to the resue, It just happened to me about 3 weeks ago and it was a 15cent fuse under the hood. I bet you a $1 it's the same thing with yours.

I also thought it was the clutch but, the fact that nothing else was turning on, when I turned the key. Made the fuse much more probable.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
20 amp ASD fuse at tip of pensil.

DSC05687.JPG

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are the best! I will take a look at it this evening! Thanks!

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Tom and Andrew. That is great information about the fuse and it's location. To Black Mamba the disconnect switch is not available separately I believe. i can not tell if it comes with the pedal package or the clutch master cylinder. Does anyone here know if there is a separate part number for the switch?

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just checked that exact same fuse, AND IT WAS BLOWN! I will go the parts store in the morning to pick up some new ones...BUT THAT SEEMS TO DEFF BE THE CULPRIT!!

THANKS!

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Tom and Andrew. That is great information about the fuse and it's location. To Black Mamba the disconnect switch is not available separately I believe. i can not tell if it comes with the pedal package or the clutch master cylinder. Does anyone here know if there is a separate part number for the switch?

That's what I said. Look at my 1st reply waaaaaaay up top.

at least you are getting good at saying "that's good info".

But i'd still vote to ban you. i'd even make a donation to see that happen. can we start a fund?

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just checked that exact same fuse, AND IT WAS BLOWN! I will go the parts store in the morning to pick up some new ones...BUT THAT SEEMS TO DEFF BE THE CULPRIT!!

THANKS!

I bought some extras and keep them in my glove box now. That fuse also cost me a few hours and a tow truck ride as well and thanks too Tom Session, I was back on the road the next day in stead of having it towed to the dealer.

Tom Session the man.

p.s. Do you want my Paypal account for the $1 :D

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shouldn't this type of stuff go under a "Trouble shooting" page? There are many things like this that people ask and get solved but, down the road someone will again need the info.

Maybe about a booklet for the glove box.

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shouldn't this type of stuff go under a "Trouble shooting" page? There are many things like this that people ask and get solved but, down the road someone will again need the info.

Maybe about a booklet for the glove box.
I think this is an excellent idea. B/c I talked to two very reknown Viper techs and neither of them suspected this $.15 fuse to be the problem. I was about to spend several hundred dollars to have my Viper flatbedded across the entire state to a really good tech, when all it would have taken was 60 seconds to change a $.15 fuse. You guys on this site are really good, I am gonna have to send Andrew a very nice bottle of wine or something since he solved a problem that had many Viper guys stumped. All SRT 10 owners should definitely be aware of this issue. It can save hundreds of dollars and the potential damage to the car by having to flatbed it unnecessarily. I have only been in this site for about 2 months, it would be helpful if someone could tell how to transfer this info to the Trouble Shooting page; or do we just start another thread there to discuss this?

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks but, Tom Session disserves all the credit and I’m not sure he drinks. He beat me to the post, and he’s the one that taught it to me in the first place.
I’ll vote “Tom Session” as top Viper tech. Bar none. :2tu:

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TOM YOU ARE THE MAN!! I put in the fuse today and she crank right up and I have been stretching her out all day long!! Its 73 deg here in CT today and I am tempted to play hookie from work all day now that I have black beauty back! THANKS TOM!! I will p/m you later for your efforts.

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In reference to bypassing the clutch safety switch: Is there any harm done in doing this on a 2001 GTS? My legs are short and it takes a LONG stretch to get the pedal all the way to the trigger point for the start to occur.

Big Al

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I you have ever seen a powerful car start in gear I am sure you would not want to discontect it unless it is in an emergency. It is a great safety item.

hightest

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In reference to bypassing the clutch safety switch: Is there any harm done in doing this on a 2001 GTS? My legs are short and it takes a LONG stretch to get the pedal all the way to the trigger point for the start to occur.
Instead of bypassing the safety interlock switch, you could pull out the switch and attach an extension to the plunger. This will still provide you the safety, without having to press the pedal all the way down.
I did this to my wife's corvette a number of years ago.

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Instead of bypassing the safety interlock switch, you could pull out the switch and attach an extension to the plunger. This will still provide you the safety, without having to press the pedal all the way down.
I did this to my wife's corvette a number of years ago.

Thanks for the idea. I'll crawl under and see if I can rig one. Didn't even think of that, but it's a good idea.:2tu:

ASPIRATIONS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the idea. I'll crawl under and see if I can rig one. Didn't even think of that, but it's a good idea.:2tu:

Not trying to be a **** but you do know about the pedal adjustment knob under the dash.? What I dont know is if your clutch pedal travel will still be a bit long for you.:dunno: Kevin

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Did anyone ever figure out WHY that fuse blows out on any of these cars?

I've gone 54,000 miles since new without blowing a single fuse.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang