Is it wrong to ask a seller to bring his car to me for a PPI

112motorsports

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I have found a Viper that I want to purchas. I went and looked at it this past weekend and everything looks good, however I would like to have a shop check it out prior to purchasing it. So here is my problem, there isn't a Viper shop or tech near him, there is one here by me 100 miles from the seller. I have asked the seller to bring the car to me and does not want to spend 6 hours for the trip. Maybe it is just me but to make a deal I guess I would dive the car to the buyer if he is series by all means. What do you guys think buy it without having it checked out or move on. I am a mechanic so I know my way around cars, but just not everything about Vipers YET. Thanks again

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's asking too much imo. Way too much. Find a vca member local and if you know cars, go look at it. But you probably ****** the seller off by now so it migya not go well for ya.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, it is you. I would say if you are willing to pay for the mans time and gas for the day, that would be more acceptable. Figure at least $250 to get him to kill a day plus gas.

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's asking too much imo. Way too much. Find a vca member local and if you know cars, go look at it. But you probably ****** the seller off by now so it migya not go well for ya.

I agree 100%. No way I would drive the car to a "possible buyer". I wouldnt even drive the car to a buyer that has paid for the car in full unless I am getting paid to deliver it. Thats my way of looking at it but this seems to be the common opinion:dunno:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
6 hrs is unreasonable to me...for a potential sale. I'd be really upset if I got into an accident during the trip. Since you mentioned there's no dealership or Viper tech near the seller....who has been performing the maintenance work on the Viper? :dunno: I'm all for DIY BTW in capable hands.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If someone asked me to do that, I'd counter with asking them to hire a Viper tech to drive six hours round-trip to come to my place and check the car out. If they're that serious about buying the car, that shouldn't be a problem for them...

Is the seller a VCA member? If so, you can probably get someone to vouch for him. If the car is in good shape and represented properly, I'm sure the seller is looking at it from the perspective of "well, this car is in great shape and it would be a total waste of my time to drive six hours just for someone to verify what I already know."

If the car is in crappy shape, you can pretty much count on the seller not putting a six hour drive into this, either. Why drive six hours, put extra miles on the car, just to have a Viper tech point out flaws and kill the deal? Not gonna happen.

So, the best thing to do would be to figure out how to get someone you trust (if you don't trust the seller) to vouch for the car - and do it on your dime. It's cheap insurance, and if you're really serious about the car, it's a sign of good faith that you're not one of those buyers who tire-kicks forever and then thows a low-ball offer out there hoping that the seller is worn down...

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Martin got it right. If a buyer is serious and want it checked out by a viper mechanic they trust, then the possible buyer should pay the viper tech to travel to the viper:2tu: Best senario so far and keeps extra miles off the car

OP
OP

112motorsports

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I completely understand where everyone is comming from the car has been owned by him the entire life of the and it came from Florida and he just moved to where he is at now. I can do anything to a car that it might ever need as I have been on the winning team for past two 24 hours of Daytona wins. I don't doubt my ability at all, but I am sure there are things that I might miss but I will gather up some of my buddies and head up there and do it myself.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I completely understand where everyone is comming from the car has been owned by him the entire life of the and it came from Florida and he just moved to where he is at now. I can do anything to a car that it might ever need as I have been on the winning team for past two 24 hours of Daytona wins. I don't doubt my ability at all, but I am sure there are things that I might miss but I will gather up some of my buddies and head up there and do it myself.

you guys will do fine

OP
OP

112motorsports

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Headed there this Saturday and I WILL have a new toy in my "toy box" garage this weekend. Thanks for all of the help that I have recieved on this site as it is amazing. I can not wait to join the site to obtain access to everything that is has to offer.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are companies that will inspect the car for a fee, hire one of them and look at it yourself.

IF it is a rarer viper and what you are looking for it is worth your effort to go check it out. Nice Vipers are far and few apart especially if you are looking for a specific car. 6 hours is not bad at all. I was looking at cars as far away as Texas when looking for mine. Luckily I found one in Virginia which was about 5 or 6 hours away and did not need to fly anywhere to view a prospective Viper.

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What Martin said. Hire someone to go with you. If it were me though, and I knew I had a solid car, and I knew nobody would find anything wrong with it. I would do it :dunno: but only if I had a negotiated price. I will sell it to you at $$$ and you agree to buy it at $$$ if the car checks out mechanically. Yes. Deposit first and if it checks out and you decide not to buy it, I keep the deposit, agreed.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
All ideas are good. If you're a mechanic then you should be able to check the car out yourself. We assume that it has low miles and that should mean that there shouldn't be too much to check out anyway. Leakdown and compression test if you're worried, but a sparkplug check would normally suffice for an engine check. It's hot enough outside that any potential overheating problems should show up without too much time spent.

Ted

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang