Is there a speed rating on the Viper RT/10 top ??

Yellow Fever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I was at the V-10 Nationals in San Antonio It appeared the roof's on some of the RT's lifted from the rear as they went down the track.

Is there a limit to how fast you can go in an RT before you risk loosing your roof ?

Cheers

Jeff

Dave's Big Brakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Is there a speed rating on the Viper RT Roof ??

Jeff, don't use the roof :eek: that's why you bought a RT/10 :eek: with those TT"s blazing you won't care about a roof :shocked:
My console should be here later this week, can't wait to see your monster :2tu: Yo Vinnie is getting his done now
SYA

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah Jeff, don't use your roof. I want you to create all the drag you can on your car so I can put a spankin on you. I'll buy us some beers afterward :2tu:

Oh, I have had my Gen I up to 165 MPH with the roof, no problem -- and that is way faster than what they hit at the drag strip. But then again, when we race, you need to make sure it will hold up to 180 :)

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The manual says top speed for an RT/10 is 175. (GTS is 180) I can't imagine an RT/10 reaching 175 without the hardtop on. I am unaware of any restriction for the hardtop, but there is one for the soft top.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've done 175mph for several miles with the softtop. I imagine the hardtop would survive.

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey ViperJohn: " I can't imagine an RT/10 reaching 175 without the hardtop on."

I did 176 on the NYS Thruway on a summer day with my top off. Only reason I did not go faster was cause I ran out of straight road, but had lots more to go...

Andrew

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for the info. If I went that fast with the roof off, I would have no hair left on the top of my head.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Its important that the latches are secure and properly adjusted. Aftermarket tops bolt through the sport bar. I have seen some guys use duct tape as a safety measure at the track.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Good way to check.......Go as fast as you can. When the roof does fly off look at the speedo and write down the speed. Then you will know for next time!!?? Seriously. I had my Viper at 155 and the roof was fine.

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

In the Uk they refused to replace roofs under warranty saying that they were only good for 70 mph.

Bit of a bummer really but thats the motor trade in the Uk any excuse to duck a problem!!!!!!

At present people are paying out of there pockets for the known h/gasket problem on the gen ones.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The top should be safe at high speeds as long as the latches are secure.

As for DoctorBob's story, that is just sooo wrong. That should never happen. I feel his pain! If that ever happened to me, I do not know what I would do. Anyone know if Dodge replaced it for him?

Dave Adkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have done Mach 0.24 without my soft top OFF, and I don't think I'd dare do it with the soft top ON.

Above 100 mph, I can see a small sliver of daylight between the middle of the windshield frame and the soft
top frame. At 140 mph (0.19 Mach) the gap is about 3/8 inch high, and wind is hoowwling through the gap.
I worry about the bending strength of the soft top frame at this point. I'm amazed people have gone 170+ mph
and had no problems. I should try lowering the windows down to see if I could equalize the ambient
pressure inside and outside the car a bit.

Do you folks see the same amount of seperation/lifting that I'm seeing? Is my top defective? Hmmmm....

Wild Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have driven over 125 several times with my softop on with no problems-it may help that I never have my rear glass in.

Bill

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Over 170 and only a flapping of the material due to looseness. No separation at the windshield. I prefer without the top though. Haven't had the top on since 2001.

Photo pro

Enthusiast
Reaction score

While were talking about the top....Does any one make a slip cover for the hard top for storage? I am talking to an upholstery shop about making a bag for me. Seems fairly easy to do.

If they can make one for me, would any of you be interested in buying one?

Just thought I would ask.

cosborn

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hello,

I have cruised at 150-165 with the hard top for 30-40 minutes without any problems many times, although duct(k) tape was covering the leading edge to the windshield, ensuring no air could travel underneath. Make sure the rear two latches are in tightly. The one problem I did have at around 150 was when one latch was not fully clicked. You can adjust the positioning using a small wrench. Checking to see if the latch is seated correctly can be done by reaching under and clicking the latch, as if releasing, and putting your finger in between, make sure it contacts the other side of the latch. In terms of top speed, I have gotten the hardtop(and car) up to 185,gps verified, but that was only for a minute or so. It did take a while to get there. (174 without the top....)

Your own mileage may vary.

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I will give you the rest of the story. Dodge ended up buying back the car and promised to make good on getting me a great deal on a new GTS in 1996 in exchange for problems I had with the original RT/10. Dodge was very professional and I got a call from a Dodge VP asking where I wanted the car delivered and quoted a price way below invoice. Our small town Dodge dealer was blown away when a Reliable truck showed up, dropped the car off with my name on it, and a bill from Dodge.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have done Mach 0.24 without my soft top OFF, and I don't think I'd dare do it with the soft top ON.

Above 100 mph, I can see a small sliver of daylight between the middle of the windshield frame and the soft
top frame. At 140 mph (0.19 Mach) the gap is about 3/8 inch high, and wind is hoowwling through the gap.
I worry about the bending strength of the soft top frame at this point. I'm amazed people have gone 170+ mph
and had no problems. I should try lowering the windows down to see if I could equalize the ambient
pressure inside and outside the car a bit.

Do you folks see the same amount of seperation/lifting that I'm seeing? Is my top defective? Hmmmm....

I hear noise, and feel wind, but don't recall seeing light particularly, between the windshield frame and soft top front.