1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this Stock?

Discussion in 'RT/10 and GTS Discussions' started by WSAYERS80, Nov 23, 2013.

1. WSAYERS80

WSAYERS80 Viper Owner

Car is being repainted, Rockers are off among other things and it looks like the previous owner used header wrap around the cats. I am assuming that's not stock. I noticed the pipes were in rough shape so Im thinking about having them redone when she is out of paint. Also it looks like there is 2 cats?

View attachment 29529

2. RT/ED

RT/ED Enthusiast

No way is the wrap stock. I would be concerned about fire, especially if these are stock cats. If you are looking to eliminate the heat issues, go with hi-flow cats or cat deletes (srtraight pipe.

3. WSAYERS80

WSAYERS80 Viper Owner

Header wrap is pretty much non flammable. However I have had it cause cracking on the headers I Had at the time. My guess was that the wrap was wet or became wet while I was driving. Anyways this set up here was the first time I saw whats under the rockers. I was told that the Viper was dynode at 706hp when I purchased it. However I immediatey called BS on that being that I saw absolutely zeorr engine mods. I saw 3'' Borla Duals and K&N intakes that's it. No way its 706.. Now I see header wrap that's showing its age. Just wasn't sure if it was Stock as an attempt to eleviate the heat issues.

4. Fatboy 18

Fatboy 18 Enthusiast

Stock cats and silencers by the look of it, the wrap is not stock.

5. Bugman Jeff

Bugman Jeff Enthusiast

Unless you're using 304 or 316 stainless, header wrap will rust your pipes away, even if it never gets wet. It traps too much heat in the pipes causing the metal to oxidize faster than normal. Stock pipes are 409 stainless, which will still rust(all be it slower than regular steel).

6. WSAYERS80

WSAYERS80 Viper Owner

Oh ya they are rusting away like crazy!

7. DrumrBoy

DrumrBoy Enthusiast

706 RW? I've never seen any N/A Gen 2 Viper that made those numbers.

8. WSAYERS80

WSAYERS80 Viper Owner

I know Drumr... I am totally with you. I agree.. Just telling you what the previous owner said.. I am almost positive its close to 500-525rwhp

9. WSAYERS80

WSAYERS80 Viper Owner

I called BS on him almost immediately lol

10. Jance GTS

Jance GTS Enthusiast

Picture of the rust?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  11. DrumrBoy

DrumrBoy Enthusiast

Maybe he had a couple of turbos on there, dynode and then took em off! ;-)

12. AZTVR

AZTVR Enthusiast

Unrelated thought when looking at the photo: Check the bottom of the overflow bottle in the fascia to ensure that it is not cracked or partially punctured over the years. When you replace the fascia, take the screw that is installed directly under the bottle and grind the sharp point off, maybe 0.125-0.25 inch. Save someone the possibility of a puncture in the future. (Happened to my car before I bought it and quite a few others posted here through the years.)

13. WSAYERS80

WSAYERS80 Viper Owner

I actually just replaced it with a brand new bottle. I'm thinking about stainless bolts with lock washers.