July 2010 Okanagan Cruise/Track Event

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some info has gone out to the members on the July event, I thought I'd post a brief summary up here as well.

July 16th, 17th and 18th, 2010.

Friday July 16th: Make your way to Kelowna. We'll meet on the patio at the Grand in the early evening, just a casual meet and greet as folks arrive. There is an alternate hotel, the Holiday Inn on Harvey Ave., the email sent out has all the links and details.

Saturday July 17th: We'll be meeting early and heading south throught the valley, hitting some great back roads with lots of twisting tarmac to cover on our way to some of the best wineries in the world at Oliver, Naramata, Summerland, Westbank and points in between. We'll be back in Kelowna in time to relax, refresh and make our dinner reservations at the local favourite Yamas Greek Restaurant for 7PM, those with Elton John tickets will need to dine and dash to make the concert, the rest of us can relax, enjoy a great meal and then head back to the lounge at the Grand for a cocktail.

Sunday July 18th: Making our way to Vernon, just north of Kelowna, we've go the track rented and will have an autocross set up for some friendly competition. We have the track from 11:00, so we will have time to fuel up and get some breakfast before. We are joined by the Porsche Club and the Viper honour is at stake, so bring your 'A' game! There will be lunch at the track and cool refreshments. The track rental and lunch costs are covered by your membership dues, so come make good use of both! Those who are not members are welcome, the Porsche club members included, there will be a nominal fee to cover costs.
After the autocross, we have one more winery to hit, where we have reservations for a memorable supper overlooking Lake Okanagan. This will be the final stop on the tour, those staying in Kelowna Sunday night can make their way back to town on #97.

Last year we had 25 Vipers from all over western Canada make it for the weekend. Come out and enjoy the beautiful surroundings, fun roads and great people that will be sure to make this the most memorable weekend cruise of the year!

Cheers!

PS If you haven't done so already, please let us know if you plan on attending. Thanks!

You must be registered for see images attach

This is in front of the Grand, it's right on the lake and they have always treated us very well. Underground parking with a place to wash your car is available.

There's lots of this sort of thing here in the Okanagan, getting there is at least half the fun!

Beautiful vistas, with vineyards and orchards all over make for great photo ops.

This is what it's all about; Vipers and friends, driving and having a great time. See you there!

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A little over 4 weeks to go and the response has been very good! If you're having trouble getting a room at one of the two on the itinerary, let me know I can suggest a few others in the area.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
PM Trevor Cameron (TNT) or Marcel (don't know his ID)as they was expecting to go from Edmonton. Hook up with Ron and his buds in Red Deer. Those guys are good company.

Ted

OP
OP
A

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PM Trevor Cameron (TNT) or Marcel (don't know his ID)as they was expecting to go from Edmonton. Hook up with Ron and his buds in Red Deer. Those guys are good company.

Ted

Good tip, Ted. Have yet to hear from either of those you mentioned if they're coming out or not. We do need to know for planning/reservations purposes etc., so if anyone out there is planning on joining us for a great weekend, and hasn't done so please take a moment to drop either Craig, Jim or myself an email, PM or just a note here.

Thanks!:)

OP
OP
A

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had a couple questions about the auto cross on the Sunday, and I thought I'd clarify it here; no helmets are required, the speeds you'll be at are quite low, you might get into second gear once in a lap.

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good tip, Ted. Have yet to hear from either of those you mentioned if they're coming out or not. We do need to know for planning/reservations purposes etc., so if anyone out there is planning on joining us for a great weekend, and hasn't done so please take a moment to drop either Craig, Jim or myself an email, PM or just a note here.

Thanks!:)

We have all been super busy this year.
We seem to be in the right side of the recession.
Fracturing of gas/oil wells has gone from 20-100 T fracs to 50-700 T fracs with the new technologies of horizontal drilling and up to 15 fracs per well at up to 100 T per frac. So HSSSSSS has more than enough work hauling frac sand to well sites.
Bread is one of the main staples in the food chain so Breadman will always have enough work.
Since the latest craze in house building/renovations is hardwood floors 1OF76RT/10 has no shortage of people begging him to take their money.
On this note we will not be sure until just before the cruise if we can make it or not. If we can we would just be there for the cruise and supper on Saturday, as last year. We would not be able to stay for the Sunday events.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We have all been super busy this year.
We seem to be in the right side of the recession.
Fracturing of gas/oil wells has gone from 20-100 T fracs to 50-700 T fracs with the new technologies of horizontal drilling and up to 15 fracs per well at up to 100 T per frac. So HSSSSSS has more than enough work hauling frac sand to well sites.
Bread is one of the main staples in the food chain so Breadman will always have enough work.
Since the latest craze in house building/renovations is hardwood floors 1OF76RT/10 has no shortage of people begging him to take their money.
On this note we will not be sure until just before the cruise if we can make it or not. If we can we would just be there for the cruise and supper on Saturday, as last year. We would not be able to stay for the Sunday events.

Well we're hoping you'll be there Ron and guys, even if you can't make it past Sunday lunch. You guys were a blast last year. It'll be sad if there are NO yellow cars this year. :rolleyes:

Ted

OP
OP
A

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Personally, I think that Deana's Belly dancing was better than mine.

The best the Prosche's could get was 3rd. The SL63 and the BMW M5 weren't very close I heard.

Ted

Viper ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fun event, excellent weather , great choice of roads , gorgeous scenery . Good to see some old friends and make some new ones . I had a lot of fun thanks for everyones work to put the event together .
I made a lot better time travelling home on Sunday . Road construction crew's were off duty. A lot of spirited driving on the way home to say the least ;) Radar detector paid for itself a few more times on the trip .

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Baked

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was an excellent weekend with great roads and people.
Thanks to Jim and Greg and anyone else that was involved in the planning.

Ted, thanks for the pic of my car, I finally can have a decent one as a screen saver now:2tu:.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Welcome, here's Deana bellydancer. Notice the money in her hand? No one was stuffing $5 in MY pants :(

You must be registered for see images

Yamas Greek Restaurant(?)

Andy's SSG with custom Graphics and a Venzano Interior. Andy picked this car up when we were at VOI X and drove it home. Since Andy allowed his car to be used as Venzano Interior's display car he didn't get to drive it until AFTER VOI X was over. He did ride my Pass seat at the AutoX. Didn't seem to be shaking or trembling when he got out either, :)

Andy left early Sunday so he didn't make the AutoX.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Our Winery Widow Hostess, Anna. Her husband died while working the winery and Anna explained that this property was covered in gabage before they made it into the beautiful property it is now. Lunch was served and Anna served a LOT of various wines while explaining that the "Passion" wines are best served with a dab behind the ear for partnership licking and enticement. It could be a bedroom wine. She explained that the Fire wine was not for the weak (she was definitely correct) and I tasted the so called "mild" wine, owwww.

Lunch in the shade of the Willow Trees was enjoyed by all and Anna's sharing of her history was appreciated. Everyone I talked to felt that Anna had exceeded what was expected of her.

The area had quite a few 'backroads' that we had to test out as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper