JUST RACED 2002 Z06

Butch The Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
11/17/01 IT WAS A BEAUTIFUL DAY SATURDAY 68 DEGREES AND SUNNY, GREAT LAKES DRAGWAY IN UNION GROVE WISCONSIN WAS OPEN PROBABLY FOR ONE OF THE LAST WEEKENDS OF THE YEAR. THERE WERE 8 VIPERS AND 4 Z06'S READY TO RACE, MY CAR WAS RUNNING STRONG. I TALKED TO CHRIS THE ONWER OF A 02 Z06 HE SAID THAT HIS CAR WAS RUNNING STRONG AND THEY WERE RUNNING 12.4'S ON THEIR FIRST PASS, SO I ASKED HIM IF HE WANTED TO LINE UP HE SAID YA SURE. WHEN WE GOT TO THE LINE IT WAS MY FIRST RUN HE GOT THE JUMP ON ME, I WAS PISSED THAT I LET HIM DO THAT BUT I REELED HIM IN BREAKING THE TRAP AT 12.3 WITH A SPEED OF 118 MPH CHRIS MY OPPONENT RAN 12.5 AT 114MPH. AFTER THE RUN CHRIS DIDN'T SAY MUCH, BUT THE DAY WASN'T OVER MY FASTEST E.T. WAS 11.9 AND MY BEST SPEED WAS 122 MPH I LOOKED FOR CHRIS BUT HE WAS GONE, I WONDER WHY?
---

TorQ Junkie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any idea how modified the Z06's were? It's great that you guys were there to show the true capability of the V10. Any drag racing novices like me would have let them gloat on by. 12.4 is tough!

OP
OP
B

Butch The Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TorQ ******:
Any idea how modified the Z06's were? It's great that you guys were there to show the true capability of the V10. Any drag racing novices like me would have let them gloat on by. 12.4 is tough!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
TorQ ****** WE DID NOT TALK ABOUT ANY MOD'S AT ALL, HE JUST TALKED ABOUT HOW WELL HIS Z06 RAN SO I JUST LISTENED AND ASKED HIM IF HE WANTED TO RUN.
--------------
2001 YELLOW
--------------

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Torqster were Dynoing on friday(12-5pm see main page post), and headed back to GLD on saturday.You've got some nice mods,com'on down and show off!Z06,Supra guys will be there shooting craps,Guess who's the dealer.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Darth,

I'm confused... and I don't mean this disrespectfully or sarcastically...

You have 2 sets of #'s listed.. are the upper #'s your estimated crank #'s calculated from your RWHP #'s? What do you run in the 1/4 N/A? Also, I thought your car was built by Hennessey, but you list House of Speed - who built the car/motor for you?

I'll run ya when I get my '03... I would have run you in the 98, but it's out of action right now. The entire story is not power to weight ratio, and it is not "torque at the wheels". The new M3 has more torque at the wheels than the Vettes do (even the Z06, if I remember right), in 1st and 2nd too I think, but is it faster? No... weight plays a role, but HP/weight ratios don't mean everything.

Nobody (in a slightly modified '01 Z06, or a slightly modded '02 Z06) has come close to my times in my slightly modded '98 GTS at my track)... and as you probably know, we have the quickest stock Z06's around this way (12.001).

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Slightly modded ZO6's (air box, pulleys and headers) are pulling 11.6's 11.7's here....

Come on! That's about as far from impossible as you can get!
laugh.gif

(and I know a lot of guys w/ Vettes - that can drive)

Are we actually supposed to believe that! Let's keep it real.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
Slightly modded Z06's (air box, pulleys and headers) are pulling 11.6's 11.7's here with a decent 60ft time.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then your alarm clock went off and you woke up
laugh.gif

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's so UNBELIEVABLE?? That Corvette can run that fast?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe if God himself drove the car he could get a 11.6 but so far no human has driven a Z06 to an 11.6 with just headers and airbox. Sorry to burst your bubble, POP but that's how it is.
smile.gif

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the course of ten trips to the track this year not one Z06 came close to the viper.
I'm sure its possible in a perfect world.
clown.gif

It's a challenging responsibility being the best.

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with SGC. The '02 Z06s seem to have picked up more in the 1/4 than their HP would suggest; possibly the anti-wheelhop ecu programming. At any rate, the gap's there, but it is narrow.

Next year will be a different story
smile.gif

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Were you at the Viper shootout in October?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, I had the only Blue car there. I seen your timeslip it was a very good run. Not only did you have the fastest STOCK car you were faster than most of us with basic bolt on's. Most of us with headers and exhaust were in the 12.3-12.5 there was one red GTS (Sean) that was running 12 flat. I was running 12.4-12.5's which is in Z06 territory, so they are close. I don't like things too close, so I keep my little blue friend in the trunk now
smile.gif

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SGC,

I've got to respectively disagree w/ you. I don't think the Viper runs away from the ZO6 (stock vs. stock). But I do think the Viper wins w/ ease. Come on...You honestly think there's just .1 - .2 sec. difference between the two cars? I'm no Jeff Gordon but I do OK & I've raced my buddies ZO6 plenty of times. Winning w/ ease everytime! He drives just as well as I do too. Where are you forming these opinions from? I know you own both cars but have you actually ever raced your ZO6 against another GTS?
confused.gif

Cory,

You articulate your points well but you can't tell me you've seen a ZO6 run 11.6 basically w/ a bolt on! I believe you actually heard that from one of your buddies but that's about it!!
And don't get me wrong, I'm not downing the ZO6! It's a nice car. I just know that's impossible under any circumstance. Do you own a ZO6? Have you done this in your car? I'm just wondering where all this is coming from because you don't hear Viper guys making outlandish claims like this. No disrepect intended, this just isn't my first Bar-B-Q.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. Let me know when you're heading out to Moroso again.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I may go next Friday I think it's the last race of the year, until mid January. I want to try some runs with the nitrous. I don't expect to do too great but we'll see. Bring the Z sometime and we'll try and line them up. Mike

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SGC,
No controversy...
smile.gif
The information you provided was useful to me. Thanks. When I raced my friends ZO6, I was completely stock. My car is at TNT right now for a long list of "Go Fast Goodies"
embarass.gif
embarass.gif
embarass.gif
I had 3 projects planned for my car, the last of which was TNT. 2 completed and this is the final one.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I think another point should be added. The Viper was designed to be a road course competitor, the amazing feature is that we STILL can dominate (stock vs stock) on the 1/4 mile. Two different directions, two different engineering focuses!

The Z06 tries to parallel this broad spectrum design, but if you look at the results of stock vs stock at BOTH venues, there is a much clearer Snake ********** factor!

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph Houss:
I think another point should be added. The Viper was designed to be a road course competitor, the amazing feature is that we STILL can dominate (stock vs stock) on the 1/4 mile. Two different directions, two different engineering focuses!

The Z06 tries to parallel this broad spectrum design, but if you look at the results of stock vs stock at BOTH venues, there is a much clearer Snake ********** factor!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was an excellent point! Couldn't have said it better!
cool.gif

John Myrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DARTH VETTER:
Road racing is exactly what the Z06 was designed for . A stock Z06 will out handle & FAR out brake the Viper. Both of which are also significant factors in a real "road race".

In the Jan 2002 issue of Car & Driver, C&D lists the Z06 as having three of calendar year 2001's best performances for all cars tested: (1) best 0 to 60 mph time; (2) best 60 to 0; and (3) best
1/4 mile time!
and....in case you were wondering....ahem....This includes the ACR which was listed further down under best top speed.

Is this going to ALWAYS be true against a Viper? Certainly NOT, but the car does deserve "some" respect, don't you think?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Darth,

Since you're a Car & Driver reader... Check out the Feb 2001 issue for a 2001 Z06 / Viper GTS ACR comparison.

After reading this article you will notice that C&D must have forgotten about this test...

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/comparisontests/2001/February/200102_comparisontest_yankeeboomers.xml

The Viper was a substantial amount quicker than the Z06 in all of the tests, including the road course.

The performance data is mixed in with the text, but I noticed the following:

Viper was 3.6 sec quicker to 150 mph...
Viper was 0.4 sec faster in 1/4 mile...
Viper was 1.4 sec per lap faster on the road course ...

That sounds like an a$$ whoopin' to me.

I'm not trying to flame the Z06, just sharing the article. Remember that this was stock vs. stock. No need to mention how different this could have been with your modified Z06 vs. my Viper.

Happy Holidays, JP... see you at the next Viper Club event...

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks John! That was a great piece of information - that I know I wouldn't have gotten unless you Posted it!
smile.gif

Awesome news!!!!!

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DARTH VETTER:
John, you should know by now that I just get a kick out of stirrin' the poop. hehehehe

John & Trey: Don't forget that we are having a New Year's Eve Party at my house for all the local Vette & Viper guys. It will be hosted by HOUSE OF SPEED & DILUSI MOTORSPORTS. Hope you guys can make it. Every time we have a get together, we have a BLAST.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll definitely be there!
cool.gif

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who do you think!?! It's Car and Driver Magazine! The one with the most cupholders won!
biggrin.gif

Seriously. Read their coments below and you can see
what they look for in a car....

ZO6:
Pros: Improved electronics are less nannylike, a Rolls-Royce inside compared with the others, fun-to-dollar ratio beats all.

Cons: Squirrelly rear end lengthens lap times, flabby seats lack support, reviled one-to-four skip shift" still with us.

Viper:
Pros: Sticky, stable, and more nimble with ACR upgrades; engine doesn't care what gear it's in; your arrival is an event.

Cons:Shoehorn would help cockpit accessibility; perimeters are far away and invisible; if it were ever a bargain, it ain't now.

opticzo6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
**** that was a bunch of reading now for my TWO cents. I saw the car and driver article and WOW I think that picked that zo6 up with a few less cylinders or something, my 2001 Z ran faster than that with just a Halltech intake "something like the smooth tubs on the viper". I think both cars are great cars serving different people and tastes. As for the real world performance it will be settled on the track or on the highway or street. In saying that some vipers will win and some z06’s will win as well. I have seen many vipers beat the zo6’s and I have seen the reverse as well.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21