Justin Bell no longer with Team Corvette

Tom Shapiro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The recent Autoweek had a small note about how Justin wasn't going to be driving for Corvette in 2001. Gave no reason for the split.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you notice the previous page? There was a short blurb about Lou Patane heading for retirement in the next few months. His likely replacement? Some guy named Ron Smith. I wonder how he feels about Vipers?
You must be registered for see images

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI, Bill Tracy was the first "Viper" Marketing person and the one that gave original "go" for first Viper event (Indy '91) IVR, the the club concept, and maybe even VOI.1 (?), which I believe Ron Smith oversaw. At the time, Ron worked for Bill. Bill appeared to be a "big-picture" hands off manager, so Ron was able to run with lots of neat stuff like VOI.1.

Ron was promoted into Bill's (Dodge Marketing) job when Bill went to the Motorsports position many moons ago.... so Bill will work for Ron now? Interesting.

Ron will have his hands full with Daimler.... maybe Daimler is why Lou is retiring (hay-day over?? I hope not!!). Remember, When Lou took over (by the way, Bob Lutz hired him), all Mopar did was Drag Race, Dirt Track, and Eagle Talons. He started the Neon SCCA, Viper Program(s), Nascar Truck, Nascar... plus a few programs that sanctioning bodies goofed up. Ron will do a good job since he's a bonified car guy, and died in the wool Chrysler nut, he can only help unify Mopar further.....

DCR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dean, you're kidding, right?

For those who don't know, Ron Smith is The O.G. Viper Prince -- he was Elaine Pearson before she was.

Ron Smith going to Mopar is only good for high performance in general, but he's a bona fide car guy who was at Ground Zero on the VCA with John Thompson, Maurice and the other VCA O.G.s.

FYi & review.
You must be registered for see images

best!
// DCR SENDS //

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by DCR on December 28, 2000 at 12:29</font>

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DCR:
Dean, you're kidding, right?

best!
// DCR SENDS //
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course I am. I met Ron the same night we "14" had dinner with Bob Lutz, Marty Levine and Herb Helbig in Troy. (the evening before we officially formed the VCA)

Dean Word - S. Texas VCA dead president #1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc