K&N Air Intake Kit

viperchick12

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is anyone using this type of K&N Air Intake Kit? I had smooth tubes w/ K&N filters at one time and they were sucking in so much hot air that I was losing power (but I did not have a heat shield like this set-up)... I was just wondering if it was worth the money... They are going on eBay for $250 or I would be interested in a used one if someone wants to sell...

You must be registered for see images

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe you have a 93. Go to K&N website and you'll see that they do NOT make this part for that year car. I bought one of these for my 01 when I was a newbie, and it did not fit. Of course, the vendor claimed it would fit, but the only way it would fit would be to force it, and then smash the hood to get it closed. I returned it, and stayed stock.

Knight Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
PBJ makes his air-box to extend past the radiator and pick up cold air from there also. Ilove this setup but can't remember the cost.
Diamondback_016.jpg

OP
OP
V

viperchick12

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I do have a 93, but this kit is for a 95-98 and if it will work on a 95 I cannot understand why it wouldn't fit on a 93.

To my benefit, my husband works at a Diesel Performance/Racing shop part-time and we have modified many parts to "fit" so that does not bother me as much as the performance gains.

Right now I have the stock set-up and it just seems as though its restricting the air flow... We are either going to have to fabricate a heat shield ourself or try to make this K&N system work... I just don't want to lose any power.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't get this one. The tubes have too much of a bend to them and I've heard nothing but bad reviews from people who have had these. If you notice that the PBJ has straighter tubes compared to the K&N so it flows better.

I also have the one from PBJ and it's perfect. Not sure if he makes one for Gen I but you could ask him.

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
....... had smooth tubes w/ K&N filters at one time and they were sucking in so much hot air that I was losing power (but I did not have a heat shield like this set-up).........

Just curious..... How much power were you losing? At What RPM? Did you dyno it or did you just "feel" the loss of power...?

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My understanding of the Gen1 airbox is that it is actually a very well designed piece and has the "ram air" affect. It draws air from in front of the radiator and therefore does not get any of the hot air produced by the motor. I think that the "loss of power" you are referring to is in your head as you could not possibly feel any loss power created by the airbox, if there is indeed any loss.

OP
OP
V

viperchick12

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It was on a dynojet dyno and I lost 18 rwhp

I couldn't "feel" a power loss, I was just going by the #'s the dyno put out. This was about 2 years ago (way before the supercharger install) and I can't remember the rpm's, etc... I went from 399 rwhp to 417 rwhp with the changing from smooth tubes to factory air box (sort of the opposite effect I was expecting)

The car "looked" much meaner with the smooth tubes, but I was also having a problem with overheating during that time and thought it could be related to the hot air being sucked in

I am going to check with PBJ and see if anything is available...

OP
OP
V

viperchick12

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys... I talked to Joe earlier today and we discussed my issues in depth...

If I decide to go this route, I will definitely use his set-up

Knight Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You wont be disappointed, you mentioned that you car was SC, I'm not sure what you're running but his crankcase catch can is a wonderful addition also.

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I recall, you have a ROE kit. If so, you can use a pressure gage to monitor the pressure in the ROE intake tubes feeding the SC with the airbox/tubes/filters/etc on and off the car. If you don't see any noticable drop in pressure on your intake tubes, the SC is getting all the air it can. Opening up the air intake side won't generate any noticable power increase.

As an example, on my Gen1 6.5lb ROE, I made 600RWHP. At max HP, there was a substantial drop in the intake tube pressure. I only have stock TB's and smooth tubes. I'll be upgrading in the future, and will post before/after dyno and tube pressure results. The 'guestimate' on HP loss was ~30RWHP.

Hot air vs cold air is a completely different scenario from restriction. I haven't talked to those 'in the know' about it, but I would suspect that the heat generated by the ROE SC in compressing the charge will far outweigh any increase in temp on the air into the tubes. A very cold intake air temp might make a small difference, but I would think anything else would be un-noticable. The SC is going to compress the air to a given pressure/heat capability based on the pulley.

I believe that on a NA car, colder air matters more, because that is the governing item related to total volume of air taken into the cylinder (heads, cam, intake port, etc. all being equal).

Silver_Snake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Viperchick,
If you don't mind me asking, what was the ball park price range of Joe's setup?

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it will fit a 93, but you may have to trim it. 5 years ago it was the only thing you could get, much better designs now as mentioned above.

OP
OP
V

viperchick12

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The cost of Joe's kit is around $550 (that included powdercoating, filters, clamps, etc)

After we discussed my situation, we concluded that the only performance gains with that kit would be if I changed hoods to a GTS Hood w/ the NACA Duct or had a NACA Duct installed in my current hood... I'm still thinking about getting it just because it looks a lot better than the factory set-up

ViperRed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have this on my 93 R/T10.

The only problem is that it wont work well if you don't have the naca duct in the hood! I have this problem, the heat shielding is actually blocking any other access for air intake!

D

DAMN YANKEE

The question I have about the PBJ set-up is "how does it handle a good hard rain at 80 mph?"

I can fill in the answer on this one having spoken to Joe today. Joe's system will provide for drainage and water re-direction fo all but the most torrential downpours.
Price is $455, but there are alot of options. Gorgeous unit!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte