K&N FIPK, Is this any good?

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our dyno testing has shown the good 'ol smooth tubes and K&N panels work the best, and even better, they are the least expensive alternative.
We tried the K&N box and lost power (probably due to the tight bends in the tubes), and most other systems didn't show any gain over the smooth tube/filter option. The downside I see of the cones is that it ***** hot air under the engine. If anyone has any monitoring software, plug it in and go for a ride while watching the IAT temperature. Our tests shows that it increased noticeably (hot air)without an airbox to minimize the air temps. This solution doesn't look nearly as nice as the others, but it seems to work well.

ewave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car currently has a set of K&N cones. It looks to me like these will be sucking in lots of hot air coming from the radiator.

You must be registered for see images

Does anyone have any experience with the K&N FIPK set up? The FIPK includes a box which seals with the hood to allow only fresh air in from the hood vent.

Paul
97 GTS, Belanger Headers and Ported heads

OP
OP
GTS Dean

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hard to beat the original air box with K&Ns, smooth tubes and the rain baffle cut out. Costs about $100 but you have to trash the cones.

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This thread closely resembles a more recent thread in this area. I suggest you check out both.

ewave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. I did search for K&N FIPK and the like but didn't find anything specific to the FIPK set up.

I'm trying to buy a used air box with smooth tubes and K&N's. I'll probably leave the rain baffle in because I plan to drive this car most of the time, and it actually rains sometimes in Texas!

Paul

PS Here's picture of my car on the way to have the lower frame rail pulled by the drivers door.

You must be registered for see images