K&N Vavle Cover Crankcase Breather problem

2002_red_gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently bought a K&N crankcase breather that mount on my valve cover after reading some post about the pros of having one. Well I took the car out yesterday and road it pretty ******* my way to the gym. When I got there I notice some smoke coming from under the hood on the passenger side where the breather is. I open the hood and found what seems to be oil coming out of the filter portion of the breather and it seems to be running down on to the heat shield. Its not a lot but enough to make some smoke. The filter its self on the breather is starting to stain with oil and discolor. The valve covers do have a splash shield in them so what could cause this? Will just driving the car hard do this? Or should I just take it off?

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use the one Chuck recommended, no hassles at all. The problem with the one you have, I think, is that splashed oil actually reaches the breather element, soaks it, and then drips out. I solved the issue on another car by adding a longer, baffled, stem......it looks stupid but it works. I went with works-and-doesn't-look-stupid on the Viper.

OP
OP

2002_red_gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use the one Chuck recommended, no hassles at all. The problem with the one you have, I think, is that splashed oil actually reaches the breather element, soaks it, and then drips out. I solved the issue on another car by adding a longer, baffled, stem......it looks stupid but it works. I went with works-and-doesn't-look-stupid on the Viper.

Yep that is just what is happening its splashing on the element collecting then dripping on the exhaust. So I should just chunk it?

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would since I don't know of a solution with decent aesthetics other than the remote system described above. On a BB Chevy it takes an hour or so to soak the breather, if you're up for the hassle, you could have two and change it frequently.....PITA compared to the remote system.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale04SS