Key transmitter (fob) for 2001 GTS

Sittingbull101

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had to order a new one. First the dealership got me a key (I had one):mad:, now the transmitter has arrived ($95), and the want $76 + tax to program it at the dealership:mad:. Am I forced to give them my precious dough?

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
do a search, the info is somewhere here, :eater:

this is what i have (from this site i think:2tu:)

:dunno:for information purposes only, :nono:i assume no responsibility on how you use it, it worked for me (on my '02 - used step 2A):headbang: :

1. Ensure the alarm system is not armed.
2. (1996 ~ 1998 GEN II) Ground pin C13 loose green wire taped to harness of EEM connector, which is under dash mounted on the left side of trans tunnel, directly above accelerator. Easy access if you remove knee bolster and rubber bungee cord that holds EEM to tunnel.
2A. (1999 ~ 2000) As #2, but instead of C13 you're grounding Terminal 1 of the DLC. (9/30 update...Ron found out that DLC is the Data Link Connector, i.e. the under dash OBD2 connector which is above your left knee)
2B. (ALL GEN I) Ground green "Program" Wire located next to SAM and RKE modules. Is a green wire with a bullet connector on end. Is located under driver's side instrument panel.
Hint, Make sure you're connecting to a solid body ground by testing it with an ohm meter.
3. Turn ignition to run position while green wire is still grounded!
4. EEM acknowledges entry into programming mode by flashing the dash LED. If it doesn't flash, you either:
- Have the wrong wire
- Aren't solidly grounded
- You came off ground after the ignition switch was placed in the run position. Start over.
5. (All GEN II) Press BOTH buttons on the transmitter simultaneously and continuously for 10 seconds. You will hear a triple horn chirp when FOB is accepted by the EEM.
5B. (All GEN I) Press and release the arm or disarm button on either FOB, then same for the next.
Hint: Make sure your transmitter is working, i.e fresh CR2032 battery and good clean battery contacts. Many times your problem is an electrically weak connection within the FOB itself.
6. You MUST program all FOBS during the same programming process. You can program up to 4 on a GEN II and I think only 2 on a GEN I.
That's it. Turn the ignition off and remove green wire from ground, then test the arm and disarm functions.

NOTE: Program mode will time out if no valid transmitter code is recieved within 60 seconds. The timer resets after each successful transmitter programming.

syncronizing and programming are two different things

:usa: peace :usa:

Last edited:

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think brand new ones have to be done with the DRB don't they?

Or was yours brand new?

good question, mine were used, so were programed to another Electronic Entry Module (EEM). the posts i read did not diff. btw. new and used, so may be diff for new.:dunno:

it took me about 20 min, i could do it again in about 5 min now, so may be worth trying all the same :drive:

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wrote that procedure years ago based on a old Viper Tech manual that I have.

The FOB doesn't know how many EEM's it's programmed to as it a transmitter not a receiver.

The FOB being new or used is irrelevant to the procedure's success. A properly functioning FOB with fresh batteries is though.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a new FOB and was able to program it just by holding in the buttons until horn beeped (instructions on fob).

Look in the manual or give Chuck Tator a call, they can walk you through it.

Disclaimer: It may be different for older models but on my 01 ir was cake.

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Why did you get a new fob? Do you want a second set? Just curious as you can plunk the old circuitry into a new fob and it works fine. I did that to upgrade from the oldschool fobs to the newer roundish ones.

Otherwise, do a search. You can program your own, easy cheesy.

OP
OP
S

Sittingbull101

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a new FOB and was able to program it just by holding in the buttons until horn beeped (instructions on fob).

Look in the manual or give Chuck Tator a call, they can walk you through it.

Disclaimer: It may be different for older models but on my 01 ir was cake.
Just tried your method, nothing happened

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just tried your method, nothing happened

I bought a new one since I was unable to program my second fob and thought it was bad. I found out I needed a new alarm keyless entry module. The tell tale sign was the light on the inside door lock never went out. Once I had that module replace I was able to resynch the fobs just by holding in both buttons until the horn chirped 3 times. If it does not do that you may have an issue like I did. I hope this helps.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My question is: ground to where? I can't seem to get a good ground. Something is not working right... And, is terminal 1 directly below 9 or is it on the opposite side?