Kumho ECSTA V700

EA6BPilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone out there use the Kumho ECSTA V700 as a normal street tire? After I come back from my next deployment, I want to upgrade to 18" rims, but don't want to shell out the $$$ for a set of Pilots that I'll use for 2k miles. I figure a set of the cheapies would do for a few months. Anyone have any bad things to say about them? I know they are heralded for being very sticky on dry pavement, but I don't want to get caught in the rain with an unsafe tire. Thanks in advance!

Frank :usa:

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They are actually designed as a rain tire so being in the rain is not an issue. Now if you run them bald, then you have a problem. I would say the down side is the rock chips and the fact that they do not have a “rim protector” strip of rubber so they look a little odd.

ViperRichRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use them and love them. I have been in the rain and they were ok. I always am a little more careful with them in the rain however. In the dry, they grip like H#ll! :2tu:

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've been running the 17's on my 98 for over a year - they are wearing better than I expected (3K miles and two track weekends - tread is fine). I think they are the only way to go with my car (3.73 axle). I am very cautious in the rain, as they have very little grooving compared to the Pilot Sports, and have hydroplaned (rears) on me a couple of times at highway speeds. I keep it below 60 in heavy rain, and really watch the throttle at lower speeds.

Love my Kumhos in dry weather.

OP
OP
E

EA6BPilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the help! I figure I'd rather spend under $400 for 2 rears than $800 for Pilots, only to have to get rid of them when I change wheels. :)

Fishtail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been trying to buy the fronts and it seems everybody is out of stock on them. I'm not sure if they even make them anymore in smaller sizes :confused:

-lou

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lou,

I just ordered 17's from www.tirerack.com. They always seem to have some in stock. That's the reason I won't go to larger wheels... It's all abuot the Kuhmo's. I have been running them for nearly 3 years and wn't even CONSIDER over price, slick as ice Pilots with a car with 450 stock HP and now I'm over 800rwhp with a daily driver..... That's the reason lots of newbies crash their cars... :2tu: :usa: :headbang:

OP
OP
E

EA6BPilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Gerald. I have heard a lot of good things about these tires, but I have been weary since they are so cheap. I guess sometimes good things on this car CAN be inexpensive.

Reaction score
Gerald:

How many miles did you get to a set of rears?

I put Kumho 18 inchers on the rears and am very pleased with the way they hook up and handle.

Just wondering how long they last in real world street driving with increased HPs.

Thanks

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I usually get about 5-7k miles out of them. Even more if I want to , but driving with barely any tread makes driving a little less pleasureable as I OWN THE RUTS... :lol: I've probably honestly put about 8-9k miles on the set I have now. Been to two V10 Nationals and daily drove with them for nearly 1 1/2 years.

Sidewalls are stiff, hookup is unbeatable, buy them! ;)
EA6BPilot, you need to get these. Don't beleive that inexpensive tires aren't good. It's jut the Pilots are grossly overpriced at nearly....what are they.... $400 per tire (rear) now?? unreal. I just treaded my WHOLE viper with Khumos, for $750 (Fronts and REARS!!!!), DELIVERED.. www.tirerack.com

RobHook

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had these on my mostly stock GEN I for several years. I usually get about 5-7k miles out of them which is more than they're supposed to last. Then again, I haven't had any track days for quite a while. I will say that while they have tremendous grip when they're warmed up, they're almost dangerous when cold, especially in the wet. Get used to driving like grandma for the first 4 miles and you'll be fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32