LC-1, VEC, Open Loop

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This will take awhile so be patient and I shouldn't type this after a crappy day. I love my ROE system. I started tuning my ROE system with my LC-1 wired into my VEC. My gauge works great. Now to do data logging I need to configure my VEC to recognize the LC-1 input or program my LC-1 via LogWorks to dump the right signal to the VEC. I have the LC-1 feeding a 0-5v signal into Slave #2 which is OK..but a 0-5v signal in and of itself does nothing for me...I NEED IT TRANSLATED INTO AFR%. For the life of me I don't know why the VEC or LC-1 install guide doesn't highlight this solution right up front. From the LC-1 manual: 0V = 7.35 AFR and 5V = 22.39 so how do I tell the VEC this is the linear translation? I do not like bothering Sean with this simple stuff, but if that's what it take...so be it.
Also, I noticed my 5lb pully is boosting 8lbs +/-. My gauge and MAP data logs show this too. I boost right to 5 lb at WOT and then it creeps up to 7 lbs and then to 8 lbs at 4500+ RPM. Hang in there 'ol Creampuff!!!
Finally, when I was messing with my fuel load vs. RPM tables trying to dial in the AFR (via the gauge) , I was wondering when the transition from closed loop to open loop occurs in reference to the load (MAP) tables? I ASSUME at 0 MAP or somewhere near 0 since the PCM would think its at WOT regardless of the TPS. Obviously if the TPS is over 80% I'm into open loop, but that is easy to visualize. Yes, one can get 0 MAP at under 80% TPS with the blower. So the question comes to mind is what takes priority in determining closed vs. open loop...the Load tables/MAP or TPS...or am I just all gooned up about this? What I'm attempting to resolve are the fuel requirements from stop to cruise to mild accelleration under some boost but below 80% TPS. I suspect I'm into open loop at this point and the boost/RPM offsets are running things vice the adaptives. In my opinion, the adaptives would rarely be a factor unless you are just idiling or steady crusing at vacuum/decellerating. Anything invloving boost would be open loop. WOT is pretty straightforward. HELP

G

grcforce327

Call Sean Roe! I got that info from him in the beginning of the year,but have since sold it in favor of a different setup.I'm guessing its 5 & 18 ,but don't qoute me!:D

OP
OP
E

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I called Sean and he "E" mailed me the updated VEC Log default program. I can now select LC-1 from the default settings in my Slave #3 input where my LC-1 is wired. Not sure why my recently upgraded VEC-II didn't have the latest default_log files. At least that problem is solved. He also indicated that from around 6 in vacuum is where I need to start working the fuel load tables. Boost creep concerned him too. What a great guy...sorry I had to bother him with this, but I did ultimately need the latest version of the default files so I don't feel like an idiot asking him for help.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have seen over 10lbs with boost creep on my 6.5lb system.

As for your question about open loop, the TPS is what controls that as far as I can tell. After my Roe install, my car would not go into Open Loop and I evenually traced that to being the fact that my TPS was reading a little low because the the throttle wasn't opening quite all the way.

OP
OP
E

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ken,
I was thinking of developing a custom W/M system that works "post blower". I talked briefly with Sean on this. His only concern was ensuring distribution of the W/M vapor but understands my intent. Still, I'm going to do the R&D and see where it leads. I'm thinking four-six smaller jets located in the base plate or on in the lower plenum resulting in around 600-700cc of delivery.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like an interesting project. Not sure how much you could expect to gain over preblower, but it's always interesting to try something new. I agree that getting even cylinder coverage would seem to be the tough part. If you seriously attempt this, keep us posted.

If you are dorking around with that, you should see what it would take to put the AIT in there post blower as well - maybe squeeze in an intercooler while your in there :D

OP
OP
E

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean commented on my IAT idea as well. He isn't a big fan of that since the stock PCM will be all over the place...if I relocate the stock IAT in the manifold that is...
Right now, I'm messing with getting the closed-loop tune worked out. Seems real rich in closed loop and cylinder #10 is really sooty. I've trimmed it about as much as I can, but it is still a work in progress. I wish I was smarter on the timing stuff too. You can only mess with the fuel load and RMP tables so much without dealing with the timing piece too. Time to get my ODB-II logging software so I can "see" what the PCM is doing separate from the VEC.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456