leaking GTS

NZGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi all,
got caught in rain yesterday for the first time and when I got home discovered that the carpet was wet in the right rear trunk and passanger floor.:omg:
I saw the lumbar tubes that drain the water from the rear windscreen well but they seem ok and cannot even see where the front passanger one came from.:dunno:
Has anyone has similar problems that could point me in the correct direction before I start pulling my car apart?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sound like you have 2 issues. In a dark setting have someone in the car and someone outside with a very bright flashlight. Have the person inside look for light penetrating through around seals.

And get cable TV. They have the weather channel.

OP
OP
N

NZGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
yeah hard to predict weather in NZ,:(
was on a 5 hour drive:drive: .
the leak in the rear is not coming from the window seal but I think the little drain is leaking further down. In behind the double skin.
but I will double check with the light in the garage.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah hard to predict weather in NZ,:(
was on a 5 hour drive:drive: .
the leak in the rear is not coming from the window seal but I think the little drain is leaking further down. In behind the double skin.
but I will double check with the light in the garage.

Don't know exactly how that drain tube on the rear finds its way out of the car, but just because it works does not mean the rear window seal is not leaking.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re-seat the rear seal. Sometimes it gets knocked out of place when placing stuff in the trunk.

Some GTSs had a problem with the front windshield seal. New seal, problem solved. Not saying you have that problem, but a wet floor after a drive in the rain is one of the symptoms.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it was raining heavily, your airbox (underneath the passenger side hood vent) might fill quickly enough that the duckbill drain can't let it out fast enough. If it overflows, it dumps the water in the passenger footwell.

I've also seen the duckbill material get "sticky" and not open at all. You can easily inspect it to verify. It's underneath the airbox between the box and the inner fender.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have someone or yourself inside and someone outside turn a garden hose on it.After its dried out of course and watch/feel for it. Could try a you squirt it car wash too. GTS Bruce

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it was raining heavily, your airbox (underneath the passenger side hood vent) might fill quickly enough that the duckbill drain can't let it out fast enough. If it overflows, it dumps the water in the passenger footwell.

I've also seen the duckbill material get "sticky" and not open at all. You can easily inspect it to verify. It's underneath the airbox between the box and the inner fender.

Bingo on the passenger footwell.
One other long shot issue not mentioned so far is the hidden air vents in the sides of the rear compartment. They exhaust air pressure from inside the car at speed, one of the things they prevent is the rear hatch glass window is not forced up by air pressure.
Don't know if you're the original owner but many times custom stereo speakers are installed in that area blocking these. Or enough stuff is packed tightly in the back compartment to partially seal them of. Enough unrelieved upward air pressure on the back glass at speed in very heavy rain can unseat the seal just enough to allow water in during heavy rain during an extended drive.

MADMAX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't know exactly how that drain tube on the rear finds its way out of the car, but just because it works does not mean the rear window seal is not leaking.

For trunk leaks, I agree - the real window seal is a prime culprit.

I’ve hopefully just resolved a trunk leak problem on my 96 GTS – the seal was not pressed firmly onto the body so rain water was seeping underneath. This was particularly a problem on the tight bends close to the drain tube holes.

I’ve re-affixed the seal and used a silicone compound to help adhesion.

Happy leak fixing. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razorwire