LED Replacement Lighting Thread

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
one of my 3157 did not work, it stayed on without flashing, took me a while to figure this out. If you swapped the bulbs, then you know for sure. Did you take a voltmeter and see if you get voltage in the socket when using LED bulb? Also, you cannot change the color of the marker lights anyway, leaving the incandenscent bulbs alone in markers may be a better way.

Yes, I could leave the incandescent to be legal. But I am not ready to give up, it has to work in some configuration. Driving season is over - just snowed, salt on roads, so now I have nothing but time to get this right. I will measure the voltage when its off, easy to get in the 198 socket since it is quite open. In the end, still doesn't work, so I will try to fool it with the 25 ohm load. If that doesn't work, well, I am sure we will think of something! I still need to put in the rear turn signals (still two week backorder), and that will further mess up the load possibly.

If I just leave out the little 198 bulbs, everything else works without resistors. Amazing how such a little thing can make such a giant mess.

beerly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I should be getting my V-LED V3's on Saturday. Can't wait to see if they are all they are hyped up to be.

98intrigue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My LEDS for the interior gauges and mirror/trunk/license plate arrived yesterday. I went with a 30 SMD LED bulb for the fogs and 6k headlight bulbs (both en route). Can't wait to do all the lighting swaps.

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My LEDS for the interior gauges and mirror/trunk/license plate arrived yesterday. I went with a 30 SMD LED bulb for the fogs and 6k headlight bulbs (both en route). Can't wait to do all the lighting swaps.

Let us know what you bought and how many for the interior. Many people are asking!

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you talking about for these?
You must be registered for see images attach

Yes sir! Wow that looks nice. Getting me motivated now! How many and are they 169/198 bulbs? 5-LED or more? I figure the ones I used in the license plate are plenty bright, or maybe TOO bright.

JohnnyH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes sir! Wow that looks nice. Getting me motivated now! How many and are they 169/198 bulbs? 5-LED or more? I figure the ones I used in the license plate are plenty bright, or maybe TOO bright.

IIRC the bulbs were T1.5 and I needed 10 bulbs total.

Last edited:

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Here's what you need, keeping in mind that I ordered everything from Super Bright LEDs:

For the dash lights, it takes 10 T1.5 size bulbs - 1 of those is for the odometer, so if you want the odometer to be a different color, keep that in mind. I went with white bulbs for the entire dash, so I ordered 10 of the T1.5-CWHP (Cool White) bulbs.

The HVAC takes 3 NEO5 bulbs, and again, I went with white. I ordered 3 of the NEO5-WHP (Cool White) bulbs.

If you want to do the key ring bulb, it takes a single NEO4 bulb. I went with red for that one to replace the green factory bulb (which you'll see is a standard incandescent bulb with a little blue rubber sock over it to turn the color green), so I ordered 1 of the NEO4-RHP bulbs.

The total price for everything with USPS Priority Mail shipping was about $40.

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Here's what you need, keeping in mind that I ordered everything from Super Bright LEDs:

For the dash lights, it takes 10 T1.5 size bulbs - 1 of those is for the odometer, so if you want the odometer to be a different color, keep that in mind. I went with white bulbs for the entire dash, so I ordered 10 of the T1.5-CWHP (Cool White) bulbs.

The HVAC takes 3 NEO5 bulbs, and again, I went with white. I ordered 3 of the NEO5-WHP (Cool White) bulbs.

If you want to do the key ring bulb, it takes a single NEO4 bulb. I went with red for that one to replace the green factory bulb (which you'll see is a standard incandescent bulb with a little blue rubber sock over it to turn the color green), so I ordered 1 of the NEO4-RHP bulbs.

The total price for everything with USPS Priority Mail shipping was about $40.

Looks really great - thanks for posting and providing the bulb numbers / quantities. I can just order them and not take the dash apart twice.

beerly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
V3's are installed and they look great. I used 4 - 6 ohm 50w resistors. Two in the rear and two up front wired into the main flasher. The flash speed seems right in line with stock speed. The only issue I noticed in front is the small side marker will only flash when the parking lights/headlights are on. I figure this is fine with me since these are on at night. During the day, having the side marker flash is not as big a deal. But the main flasher will illuminate the side lens anyway. Oddly enough, if I rotate the side marker bulb, they will flash without the parking lights/headlights on, but when you turn the parking/head lights on, they will not flash. :dunno:

I mounted the resistors right inside the compartment in the wheel wells where the front light harnesses are. In the rear, I mounted them right in the same compartment as the harnesses. There is a metal bracket in there that's perfect. These things get hot, but not scorching hot, and they have time to cool since they only heat up during flasher use. V-LED sends everything you need to install them along with detailed and illustrated instructions. All four corners, with resistors mounted and wired were in in about 2 hours. They are pricey but are brighter than anything I've tried and are solidly built. Worth every penny, if you ask me. For the side markers, I bought the 5 LED Amber 194 bulbs. I also got 4 of the 5K - 5 LED white 194's for the license plate light and driver and passenger footwells. All from V-LEDs. I just placed my order from superbrightleds.com for the gauge clusters.

Sorry about the grainy video. Took it with my phone. Really makes my lenses look crappy. But you can see the brightness and what I'm talking about with regard to the side marker issue.

https://vimeo.com/53762882
https://vimeo.com/53762883

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm glad you gave up trying to tell left from right and just started saying "this one". lol

The lights do look really bright. I tinted all my lights, so a brighter lights might be a good idea for me. I just don't want to deal with resistors and stuff. I want a plug and play. Did you get anything to brighten up the fogs or headlights?

beerly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing for headlights. I think those were the only lights I was happy with. I converted fog lights to HIDs last year. V-LED has the plug and play resistors for the V3 for preorder but the splice in ones are pretty easy. I almost gave up on the LED conversion because of the resistor need. But now that its all done it was pretty painless

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to crap on your parade but HID coversion for fogs is a bad idea. You should never do this with lights that use plastic housings and lenses.
Nothing for headlights. I think those were the only lights I was happy with. I converted fog lights to HIDs last year. V-LED has the plug and play resistors for the V3 for preorder but the splice in ones are pretty easy. I almost gave up on the LED conversion because of the resistor need. But now that its all done it was pretty painless

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd have to look at the housing again, but lenses on Gen III's are glass.
Sorry, talking about Gen4 here. If fogs on Gen3 have metal housing and glass lens, this should not be an issue.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both lenses and housings are plastic, I ditched mine a while ago since they both developed cracks in the lenses.
Are the lenses on the Gen IV plastic? I would have thought they were the exact same lights as on the Gen III.

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hazards... HAZARDS!! Made me laugh :)

The V3s do seem brighter than the ones I have, which are one step below, called Platinums. Looks really good!

I cannot get those side triangle markers to blink either when the fogs are off. I tried putting a 3, 6, and 25ohm on the side marker, but no change. I will have to try some other things later. Oddly, if you put the stock 168 bulb in the triangle, it will actually work perfectly fine in all modes. But with an LED... Super annoying, just because it is taunting me. The light is quite meaningless during the day. If you can think of something, give it a whirl, its the last thing.

As for headlights, I find the 4300K color temperature, which was standard back then, is now too yellow. Many cars nowadays have gone to around 5000K. I may switch out the HID headlight bulbs later.

Anyway - great job!

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hazards... HAZARDS!! Made me laugh :)

The V3s do seem brighter than the ones I have, which are one step below, called Platinums. Looks really good!

I cannot get those side triangle markers to blink either when the fogs are off. I tried putting a 3, 6, and 25ohm on the side marker, but no change. I will have to try some other things later. Oddly, if you put the stock 168 bulb in the triangle, it will actually work perfectly fine in all modes. But with an LED... Super annoying, just because it is taunting me. The light is quite meaningless during the day. If you can think of something, give it a whirl, its the last thing.

As for headlights, I find the 4300K color temperature, which was standard back then, is now too yellow. Many cars nowadays have gone to around 5000K. I may switch out the HID headlight bulbs later.

Anyway - great job!
6k HIDs work great

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm glad you gave up trying to tell left from right and just started saying "this one". lol

The lights do look really bright. I tinted all my lights, so a brighter lights might be a good idea for me. I just don't want to deal with resistors and stuff. I want a plug and play. Did you get anything to brighten up the fogs or headlights?

If you can do without those little amber side marker headlight bulbs (that don't seem to work yet anyway), you do not need any resistors at all. Just get the LM470 Lighting Control Module that I mentioned a few pages back. Plug it in and done. However - with the key ignition OFF, the hazards will not work (the manufacturer is now aware and working on a solution). With ignition on, hazards are fine.

I am messing with resistors to test combos to get the side marker to work in all modes, but seeing that beerly has the same issue with all resistors and stock relay, I am a little discouraged.

beerly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to be clear, the side markers will work correctly (even alternating flash) with the parking lights on. So you really only have to do without them during the day if you are running without any lights on. I didn't get switchbacks, but if I had, i'd probably use them as a DRL, in which case the side markers would work normally. I can do without them during the day and the main blinker actually illuminates that lens, so there is not much worry about your turn signal possibly going unnoticed from the side. But I agree, it is a little annoying that they work one way but not the other, especially since there's no apparent reason for it (at least none to me). I can get them to work right without running the parking lights by simply flipping the bulb. I'm content with it now and everthing's buttoned up. Next swap are the gauge lights. PeterMJ, I do agree that the stock HID's look a little yellow with the 5K HIDs fogs I have (I had 6Ks but those really made the headlights look incandescent). I may look into swapping these out too. Where did you get yours?

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oddly enough, if I rotate the side marker bulb, they will flash without the parking lights/headlights on, but when you turn the parking/head lights on, they will not flash. :dunno:

This is interesting. I need to try that. If true, then I don't think there is any way to resolve this. Seems like the polarity switches depending on parking lights are on or off. A regular bulb doesn't care, but an LED is a one-way diode. I will have to measure the voltage on those leads and see if it switches. Crap. Good catch!

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, deleted old comment here

I measured the voltage on the little triangle bulb, this time with the LED in place.

............................Parking Light ON..........Parking Light Off
Turn Signal On .........+12 ~ ...........................-12 ~
Turn Signal Off .........+12 Constant..................0 V

So it seems true, the turn signal will switch from positive to negative 12V if the parking light On of Off.

I guess we need a bulb where half the LEDs light in one direction (+12V), and the other half light in the other (-12V). Does that make sense?

Last edited:

98intrigue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone want to buy my white LEDs before I return them? The package from superbrightleds.com hasn't even been opened. This includes the 10 bulbs for the gaugues, 3 bulbs for the climate control, 1 bulb for the key ring, and 5 bulbs for the mirror/trunk/license plate lights.

My invoice:
T1.5-xHP:pC74 LED Bulb - High Power Instrument Panel LED - T1.5-
CWHP:Cool White
2.79 27.90
NEOx-xHP:NEOx LED Bulb - High Power Instrument Panel LED -
NEO5-WHP:5mm NEO5-xHP Cool White
2.29 6.87
NEOx-xHP:NEOx LED Bulb - High Power Instrument Panel LED -
NEO4-WHP:4mm NEO4-xHP Cool White
2.29 2.29
WLED-x5-CBT:194 CAN Bus LED Bulb - 5 SMD LED Wedge Base
Tower - WLED-CW5-CBT:Cool White
5.95 29.75
THANK YOU FOR YOUR BUSINESS! SUBTOTAL: 66.81
SALES TAX: 0.00
SHIPPING: 2.99
TOTAL PAID: 69.80

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jealous of beerly's V3s, I am ordering V3 switchbacks for the front turns signals / parking lights. They looked really good!

I may swap my 3 ohm resistors for 6 ohm resistors, as I think it will still work, and run cooler.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4