LED Replacement Lighting Thread

beerly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I might try the switchbacks too. I like the look but I'm concerned they may be too bright at night with the headlights.

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I might try the switchbacks too. I like the look but I'm concerned they may be too bright at night with the headlights.

That crossed my mind. It's more how the light scatters from these lenses. Because of the diffraction type lens, I don't think the light will throw too far. I guess I will find out in a week or two.

beerly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just ordered this Non-Polarized bulb from superbrightleds. V-LEDs did not carry any amber non-polarized bulbs in this size.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/more...ed-bulb-5-smd-led-wedge-base-tower/1127/2676/

I hope this does the trick. They make them with 9 and 13 LEDs as well, but i thought it might be too tall to fit in the housing.

I talked with the guys at V-LEDs and I think the non-polarized bulb should do it. Did you get them yet? If this does it. Then I think we have an answer for a complete kit, where all lights work correctly. Fingers crossed.

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I talked with the guys at V-LEDs and I think the non-polarized bulb should do it. Did you get them yet? If this does it. Then I think we have an answer for a complete kit, where all lights work correctly. Fingers crossed.

The non-polarized bulbs are coming Friday. I will test it out with my current switchbacks, and with 1.5, 3, and 6 ohms. 6 should be good as you and PeterMJ have proven. V-LEDs doesn't make a non-polarized bulb, so I went to superbrightleds for this one. I sure hope it works, believe me.

beerly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
V-LEDs has some they call "dual polarity" which superbrightleds said is the same thing. I ordered the ones you ordered, hopefully we are at the end of this journey

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
V-LEDs has some they call "dual polarity" which superbrightleds said is the same thing. I ordered the ones you ordered, hopefully we are at the end of this journey

Right, but I believe they were not available in Amber - at least that is what the V-LED salesguy told me. I am very anxious...

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My gen4 has glass fog lens.
Mine is all plastic for sure, same cheap junk like on other Chrysler vehicles. If you have a smooth lens, it is plastic, if is not smooth, it is gen 3 version which still has plastic housing.

noisy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Here's what you need, keeping in mind that I ordered everything from Super Bright LEDs:

For the dash lights, it takes 10 T1.5 size bulbs - 1 of those is for the odometer, so if you want the odometer to be a different color, keep that in mind. I went with white bulbs for the entire dash, so I ordered 10 of the T1.5-CWHP (Cool White) bulbs.

The HVAC takes 3 NEO5 bulbs, and again, I went with white. I ordered 3 of the NEO5-WHP (Cool White) bulbs.

If you want to do the key ring bulb, it takes a single NEO4 bulb. I went with red for that one to replace the green factory bulb (which you'll see is a standard incandescent bulb with a little blue rubber sock over it to turn the color green), so I ordered 1 of the NEO4-RHP bulbs.

The total price for everything with USPS Priority Mail shipping was about $40.

This is very very beautiful. Anyways, few questions though:

1. Which T1.5 can I get? There's 2 of them ( http://www.superbrightleds.com/sear...ds/filter/Cross_Reference_Number,T1.5,21,223: ). I was planning to get the brighter one. I'm not sure if it will work with my car. This is my same question for the NEO bulbs.
2. So this is just plug and play on our instrument clusters? Do we need to change some fuses or something? If we do need to add/change something, what is it?

beerly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got just the regular bulbs. Plug and play. Just remember they are polarized and only work one way. So when you install them and they don't work, reverse them. Just did mine and it took a little switching. These are easy.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is very very beautiful. Anyways, few questions though:

1. Which T1.5 can I get? There's 2 of them ( http://www.superbrightleds.com/sear...ds/filter/Cross_Reference_Number,T1.5,21,223: ). I was planning to get the brighter one. I'm not sure if it will work with my car. This is my same question for the NEO bulbs.
2. So this is just plug and play on our instrument clusters? Do we need to change some fuses or something? If we do need to add/change something, what is it?

1. The pics I posted were of the brighter of the two options (the ones with HP in the part number).
2. Plug and play, but as already stated, the bulbs are polarized, so before you go putting the dash back together, make sure you test them all to make sure they are all lighting. If they don't light up, just turn them 180* and try again.

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Beerly - the V3s, they come with their own wiring, right? I suppose then that if you use them, you can splice the resistor onto the V3 wiring, and not have to touch the factory harness at all, correct?

Waiting for my return to process before I order the V3s, so just thinking out loud.

beerly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Beerly - the V3s, they come with their own wiring, right? I suppose then that if you use them, you can splice the resistor onto the V3 wiring, and not have to touch the factory harness at all, correct?

Waiting for my return to process before I order the V3s, so just thinking out loud.

They do come with they're own wiring, but while I'm not 100%, the two wires in the harness that plug into the light will house three wires, won't they? Since the bulbs have the hi/lo capability for flashing? I guess you could cut open the shielding but who knows what you'll find. Don't you already have the factory harnesses spliced for the resistors? I would stick with that rather than messing with the V3 bases.

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They do come with they're own wiring, but while I'm not 100%, the two wires in the harness that plug into the light will house three wires, won't they? Since the bulbs have the hi/lo capability for flashing? I guess you could cut open the shielding but who knows what you'll find. Don't you already have the factory harnesses spliced for the resistors? I would stick with that rather than messing with the V3 bases.

Ah, so the 3 wires are concealed a bit in the V3... yeah, then I will leave it alone. If it was real obvious, then ok. I didn't splice the passenger side yet, I have just been playing with the driver side. Not a big deal, thought it might help those who are reluctant to splice into factory stuff.

beerly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same success with the non-polarized 194's from superbrightleds. Also installed my gauge cluster LED's. Everything works great.

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same success with the non-polarized 194's from superbrightleds. Also installed my gauge cluster LED's. Everything works great.

Awesome! Then its all figured out then.

You have (4) 6-ohm resistors then, one on each 3157?
I have (2) 6-ohm resistors on the front 3157s, and none on the back because I still have the LM470 flasher module that I didn't bother to return.

There is no way around the front resistors if one intends to use the 194 bulb. Without a resistor, the 3157 parking light does not work with the 194. If you remove the 194 bulb, the parking light will work as intended without a resistor.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone needs to post up the entire package needed to convert the interior and exterior lights with LEDs so that those of us who are searching challeged (me) can have the full list in one place...... I would greatly appreciate it for sure!

98intrigue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone needs to post up the entire package needed to convert the interior and exterior lights with LEDs so that those of us who are searching challeged (me) can have the full list in one place...... I would greatly appreciate it for sure!
This was my order from superbrightleds. This includes the 10 LEDs for the gauges, 3 LEDs for the climate control, 1 LED for the key ring, and 5 LEDs for the rearview mirror/trunk/licenese plate.

QTY DESCRIPTION PRICE AMOUNT
  • (10) T1.5-xHP:pC74 LED Bulb - High Power Instrument Panel LED - T1.5-CWHP:Cool White
  • 2.79/EA 27.90 total
  • (3) NEOx-xHP:NEOx LED Bulb - High Power Instrument Panel LED -NEO5-WHP:5mm NEO5-xHP Cool White
  • 2.29/EA 6.87 total
  • (1) NEOx-xHP:NEOx LED Bulb - High Power Instrument Panel LED -NEO4-WHP:4mm NEO4-xHP Cool White
  • 2.29/EA 2.29 total
  • (5) WLED-x5-CBT:194 CAN Bus LED Bulb - 5 SMD LED Wedge BaseTower - WLED-CW5-CBT:Cool White
  • 5.95/EA 29.75 total
THANK YOU FOR YOUR BUSINESS! SUBTOTAL: 66.81
SALES TAX: 0.00
SHIPPING: 2.99
TOTAL PAID: 69.80

This was my order from jdmtoy. This is for the 27-SMD LED lights for the fogs. I guess the price went up since I purchased these on 11/13.
  • Super Bright Xenon White 27-SMD 360-degree shine 9005/HB3/H10/9145 LED Bulbs for daytime running lights or fog lights
  • 36.99/EA 36.99 total
Order Summary:
Product Subtotal: $20.99
Tax:$0.00
Shipping & Handling: $4.39
Discounts: -$2.10
Grand Total:$23.28

I purchased some off brand 6k HID bulbs for the low beams on ebay. I had good luck with another off brand for $50 on my old Z, so I gave it another shot. The bulbs I got were only $28. I just can't justify spending a couple hundred dollars on some Phillips bulbs.

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Basically, exterior you need these: Note all 3157 bulbs are Standard Wiring (not CK)

(2) Rear Brake Light: 3157 RED LED
(2) Rear Turn Signal: 3157 AMBER LED
(2) Front Parking Light/Turn Signal: 3157 AMBER LED, or 3157 Switchback LED (White for Parking Light, turns Amber for turn signal)
(2) Front triangle turn signal: NON-Polarized Amber 5-LED 194 bulb
(4) 6-ohm Resistors
(2) H10 Fogs if you'd like (http://www.v-leds.com/5K-WHITE-28-LED-13W-DRLFOG-p8022474.html)

I can post example parts, but there are so many to choose from, at different price levels. 3 good sources:
www.v-leds.com
www.superbrightleds.com
www.ebay.com (like http://stores.ebay.com/kaizenmotor?_trksid=p2047675.l2563)

Last edited:

beerly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would avoid the ebay sellers. I did some business with kaizenmotor and was very disappointed. V-LEDs and superbrightleds.com are great to deal with and ship fast. They also have better quality products. As far as the type bulbs and resistors to use ohlarikd has it set out perfectly. the 194 bulbs I used are here http://www.superbrightleds.com/more...bus-led-bulb-5-smd-led-wedge-base-tower/1127/ - V-LED's says these will work too, http://www.v-leds.com/AMBER-HIGH-POWER-PARKING-p9454125-1-2.html
but I haven't tested them. for the interior, I used the same ones listed by 98intrigue. For the exterior, you have a lot of choices on the styles of bulbs, but the brighter, the better. that's what I like about V-LEDs, they have a brightness rating which is pretty accurate. I went with the V3 Tritons for all my 3157s (4 amber, 2 red). they are more expensive but I think they're well worth it. Good luck

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question on the rear turn signals - those are 3156 bulbs, correct? Single brightness, not dual?

beerly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are all 3157 bases, front and back, flashers and brake lights. I'm pretty sure they are all made for either front or rear use, so they are all dual brightness.

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, they all only make one-type. Dual Intensity 3157. Used as a turn, they appear very bright, so no worries there.

As for eBay, I agree, just giving the option. I actually didn't have an issue with Kaizen, as they fully refunded my purchase as well with little hassle when the adapters did not work for the Viper. BUT for everything I have, I only used V-LEDs and Superbrightleds. The best part about both companies is shipping is $1.99-$2.99, it comes in a few days, and they will accepts anything back as a return. I was calling their customer service all the time, and both companies are very friendly and helpful.

I just returned my Switchbacks to order some of the brand new V3s that beerly got. They do look brighter, and I ordered the switchbacks - the parking lights should look very nice, DRL like. We shall see!

JasonSSG

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ohlarikd...I have kinda a dumb question but is there an black light LED for the dash lights? Ive actually seen this done and it actually looks pretty good (not pimpy)..the white gauges glow with a hue that has a nice look to it. Just wanted your .02 cents

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ohlarikd...I have kinda a dumb question but is there an black light LED for the dash lights? Ive actually seen this done and it actually looks pretty good (not pimpy)..the white gauges glow with a hue that has a nice look to it. Just wanted your .02 cents

Yep! Most interior bulbs come in UV Blacklight, like these for example. Just choose from the color selector. Try it out, I would be very interested to see the outcome!

http://www.superbrightleds.com/more...led-bulb-high-power-instrument-panel-led/709/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte