LED Replacement Lighting Thread

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is the RB1, the bulb polarity marked. All bulbs are 5V. I will try to replace these with LEDs, although I am little worried about getting them to line up with the faceplate buttons as they have indents for the bulbs to fit into.

You must be registered for see images attach

98intrigue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tackled this project this weekend. I did the super white LEDs in the gauges/climate control/dome/trunk/license plate and also installed 6k HIDs with 30-LED fog lights. Can anyone tell me how to access the key ring light? That's the only one I wasn't able to figure out.

Yup...I need to order one more for the driver's footwell and then it will be complete

Comparison of aftermarket vs. OEM

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The top cover around the steering column directly behind the steering wheel comes off...I can't remember if it has a couple of screws or not (I think it does)...after you get that off, it should be right there.

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, as Steve M said, you need to remove the steering column cover. Two screws underneath, in the front. Then at the seam, near the back, it is a plastic clip. It is kind of hard to detach, you need to press in on the blue dot I marked, both sides, then the top will pop off.

Then by the key ring, you will see a + sign that is the bulb base. Replace that.

I also just replaced the footwell lights, I forgot the first time as well!

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Arg, one LED is too wide. 9 out of 10. I replaced it with a resistor, but then one other LED slowly fades out when I turn the lights off. Guess I need to find 1 smaller white LED...

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's going to look SO much better

Well, I am not so sure... It is almost TOO bright. Maybe I could have used some lower power LEDs, but these were pretty weak to begin with. They were 5mm, maybe I could use 3mm... will have to research.

Second - this is not easy, so I don't really recommend it.

And for all the trouble, I think its too bright. Its not as bad as this picture dictates.

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VLED is having a 20% off sale. I just ordered a pair of RED V3s for the rear brakes.

BOOM20 is the code.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are the new Generation 2 V3 LEDs. I had ordered the RED 3157 LEDs for my brakelights. Of all the lights that need to be the brightest, this is the one that is most important. I previously had a 'tower' type 90-LED bulb, but these V3s are brighter.

They now come in a slick box:

All connections are now water sealed automotive type connectors. Previous connectors were unreliable barrel connectors, and you needed to shrink wrap them. Huge improvement.

Here is one side all connected. Just plug in to the socket.

That V3 Triton control box is smaller than the old one, and in the rear, a snap to attach. I just zipped tied it to the existing bracket in the left of this finished picture:

I think the V3 system is now a very simple, reliable, plug and play set up. You could use them for rear amber blinkers as well.

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update on Unnecessary RB1 LED mod:

The previous 5mm LEDs were too big and too bright, so I ordered 3mm white LEDs. These are the same exact size as the original bulbs, so my mistake on the 5mm... These were also a little 'bluer' and matched the dash LEDs better. However, they still were mega-bright. The light pipe in the RB1 just wasn't made for these very bright LEDs. They create hotspots under certain keys.

So... I ended putting the little blue covers back on the white LEDs to reduce the brightness. Now they are blue. With the old yellowish bulbs, these turn green, which I can't stand. Anyway, it matches the blue HVAC controls perfectly, so that's a plus. Even with the covers, I had to apply tiny bits of blue electrical tape on the tips of 5 LEDs to make them even dimmer to match the others (then I put the blue cover back over the tape).

Again, this is due to the light piping inside, making things uneven. So after about 20 disassemblies, I think I have all the controls lit up evenly. I also had to move resistors a few times since they were interfering with the cover plate. What a pain. But I was in it too deep to go back.

So what is the lesson here? That I have too much time on my hands? That I should think things through first? I should weigh the pros and cons?

Well I am quite sure I have the first and last blue RB1.

ROYMAN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I am finally about to get into this and do the exterior LEDS, interior was all about figuring how to take stuff apart and wasn't that big of a deal... that being said I have two questions before I order the parts:

1. Has anyone done the v3 amber 3157s for the rear blinkers? Is it worth it, or should I stick with the cheaper option?
2. Are all the problems associated with needing resistors and what not now resolved with the V3 switchbacks and v3 setups, or do I need to purchase an additional part from VLEDs?

I want to get started on this soon, so if anyone has the answers, let me know!... Also, I opted to go for the 6k fogs (and soon V3 switchbacks), and I will be putting in a 6k McCulloch HID kit in my lows... will make for some interesting pics

Also.... has anyone tried these?
http://www.vleds.com/bulb-type/drl-fog-lights/h10-9145/cxa-led-headlights.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had sent email to VLEDs. They told me the new 'Gen2' V3 LEDs have built in resistors, so there is nothing else needed. Whatever you buy for whatever purpose, blinkers or brake lights, they will work without the need for any other parts. So there is no parts list anymore. Just buy the right color V3s. They are 3157 with normal wiring configuration, not 'CK'.

I haven't used the V3s for rear blinkers, although I have them in the front as the 'switchbacks'. LEDs can always be brighter, so I recently replaced my brake lights with V3s instead of the 92-LED Tower. I have the towers still for the rear blinkers, they seem bright enough. But if someone gave me V3s, I would use them.

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love seeing people get outside the box!!! Especially something as trivial yet time consuming as 2M work. I use to do this for the Scion owners since all of their dash lights were LED. One thing you can do is contact LEDMOD.com and ask if they have direct replacements for yours. They most likely will since they sell a lot of SME LED's. This is the kind of stuff I enjoy doing!

Hey can you post a comparison shot of your led brake lights from side to side? One side with your new led kit, one side without?

Here is an example of a SME LED Swap I did on my friends tC. Stock they are a horrible orange.

Update on Unnecessary RB1 LED mod:

So what is the lesson here? That I have too much time on my hands? That I should think things through first? I should weigh the pros and cons?

Well I am quite sure I have the first and last blue RB1.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love seeing people get outside the box!!! Especially something as trivial yet time consuming as 2M work. I use to do this for the Scion owners since all of their dash lights were LED. One thing you can do is contact LEDMOD.com and ask if they have direct replacements for yours. They most likely will since they sell a lot of SME LED's. This is the kind of stuff I enjoy doing!
Interesting - LEDMOD does have surface mount LEDs that may have worked in the RB1. I am not sure how to solder those on, is there enough metal exposed to get an iron on there? In the end, I think the surface mount would not work because it would produce the same hotspots in certain places that the regular LEDs did, but I wouldn't be able to use the cover and tape to reduce them selectively. But I certainly would have tried that first if I knew. Cheap too! The LEDs don't work too well in a light pipe designed for a incandescent bulb since light is not thrown off evenly in all directions. If you haven't purchased LED brake lights, I just plain recommend the V3s. Not only are they the brightest, which I think is important, but they LOOK great in terms of the glass dome they use. It looks very stock in the housing, unlike that giant LED tower which looks kind of cheap. I can take a pic of that - that was surprising to me, how good and professional it looks versus 92 LEDs.

jmbaileyniu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the Gen 2 V3 a direct replacement?

I've been following this thread for a while and really appreciate all of the effort by everyone involved. I was wondering if someone had a complete bulb list for the viper or if someone could point me in the right direction.

Also, one question. If I buy the gen 2 V3 bulbs, I can just take out my old OEM bulbs and put in a gen 2 V3 bulb with the same bulb style number and it will work perfectly regardless if it is a turn signal, brake light, fog light, etc? So nothing more to buy besides the bulb? That sounds great if that's true.

98intrigue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is interesting. I would be hesitant mainly because auto manufacturers have been having a really hard time getting LED headlights to work, and they are now large arrays of LEDs in Audi and Acura. This one bulb seems doubtful that it would work as well as the 5K or 6K HID. I plan to just buy 5K HIDs to match.
I bought some 30 SMD LEDs for the fogs and they are bluer than my 6k HID headlights. I don't use them now because they look "ricey" to me. I need to find a better matching set...

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought some 30 SMD LEDs for the fogs and they are bluer than my 6k HID headlights. I don't use them now because they look "ricey" to me. I need to find a better matching set...

VLED sold an H10 bulb in 5K that I have. Very slight blue, matches the V3 5K bulbs perfectly. In the end, I never turn on my fogs. I hate them because they are so d@mn big. I want to replace them with something more like a projector, but not sure what to due with that gigantic space.

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Is the Gen 2 V3 a direct replacement?

I've been following this thread for a while and really appreciate all of the effort by everyone involved. I was wondering if someone had a complete bulb list for the viper or if someone could point me in the right direction.

Also, one question. If I buy the gen 2 V3 bulbs, I can just take out my old OEM bulbs and put in a gen 2 V3 bulb with the same bulb style number and it will work perfectly regardless if it is a turn signal, brake light, fog light, etc? So nothing more to buy besides the bulb? That sounds great if that's true.

The Gen V3 bulbs can be used in the front signals, the read signals, and the brake lights. They are all 3157. There is no adapter to make them fit in the fog light, rear lights, or whatever is in that rear red housing in the back, which is like a steady marker light. I haven't replaced any of those because they are steady state bulbs that won't really benefit from an LED. For me, the ones that blink are the ones that count.

King_

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VLED sold an H10 bulb in 5K that I have. Very slight blue, matches the V3 5K bulbs perfectly. In the end, I never turn on my fogs. I hate them because they are so d@mn big. I want to replace them with something more like a projector, but not sure what to due with that gigantic space.

You could do a projector retrofit inside the factory fog hosings, make the inner housing black to match the OEM headlights ... It would be sweet!

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You could do a projector retrofit inside the factory fog hosings, make the inner housing black to match the OEM headlights ... It would be sweet!

You could. I am finishing up my headlight projector retrofit right now on the headlights. The original retrofit had the projector sit too far forward and the sun tried to melt spots in the bezel. Non issue though since I have a fix. Anyone have a spare set of fog light lenses around? I'm game for doing a fog light retrofit for ****s and giggles. :)

In regards to the SME LEDs, judging by that first picture, it comes with SME's on the RB1 already. Your best bet is to remove one and snap a photograph for LEDMOD. SME LEDs are just fine in their light distribution, they have come a long way. Also, yes they are able to be soldered, there is enough exposed metal. You have to be skilled at soldering to really go fast though, and a good iron is necessary.

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You could. I am finishing up my headlight projector retrofit right now on the headlights. The original retrofit had the projector sit too far forward and the sun tried to melt spots in the bezel. Non issue though since I have a fix. Anyone have a spare set of fog light lenses around? I'm game for doing a fog light retrofit for ****s and giggles. :)

In regards to the SME LEDs, judging by that first picture, it comes with SME's on the RB1 already. Your best bet is to remove one and snap a photograph for LEDMOD. SME LEDs are just fine in their light distribution, they have come a long way. Also, yes they are able to be soldered, there is enough exposed metal. You have to be skilled at soldering to really go fast though, and a good iron is necessary.

Now THAT is a good idea! I'd have to get a used set of fogs to mess with. I think the blacked out housing would look great with the small projector. I like it.

As for the SMEs, it may have worked. The original bulbs - they are oval tall bulbs that stick up into recesses in the light guide. The SME wouldn't do that, so not sure if they would get enough 'side light' into the guide to make for even light. Who knows - maybe someone will try it!

BUT - you would still need a resistor mounted inline somehow, so not sure how that would work??

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper