LED Replacement Lighting Thread

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So is the list on page 10ish the final list? Looks like the V3 LEDs are the best bet?

Well, in MY opinion, the V3 are the brightest best LOOKING, and most complete LED system at this point. You do not need any resistors or flasher modules, everything is built in. It is all plug and play with automotive grade connectors and there is no cutting of anything needed. They are a little pricey, but you do get what you pay for in this case.

As for list, here it is. I haven't verified everything in a while, but I think the links are still valid. Anyway, once you get to the right page, you can change colors, color temps, etc. I don't think I have listed the Rear White Reverse lights, but they are the same V3 bulbs I beleive. I chose to save the money there since they are rarely used. Same with the red rear tailight marker light - LED doesn't really look any different than incandescent, so I just left it. If the bulb BLINKS, that is where I spent my money, since LED is highly noticeable there.

Superbrightleds.com
You will need ten of the following for the guages and odometer bulbs. Part number: T1.5-B
Quantity of three for the climate control. Part number: NEO5-BHP
Quantity of one for the keyring. Part number: NEO4-BHP
If you want 2 leds for the rearview mirror lights the part number is: WLED-NW5
I'm not sure if you can search these part numbers on the site, might have to look for them.
Links to SuperbrightLEDs will usually come up with a size and color choice, so choose carefully.
For front blinkers, you can choose the standard amber (for parking and blinkers), or go with switchbacks (amber turn signal, but white parking)
DescriptionPurposeQuantityLink
5K WHITE AMBER SWITCHBACK V3 TRITON LED SYSTEM | 1 PAIR 3157Choose either: Front Amber Blinker / White Parking1http://www.vleds.com/v3-triton/bulb-system/v3-wa-5k.html
AMBER V3 TRITON LED SYSTEM | 1 PAIR 3157OR: Front Amber Blinker / Amber Parking1http://www.vleds.com/v3-triton/bulb-system/v3-a.html
AMBER V3 TRITON LED SYSTEM | 1 PAIR 3157Rear Amber Blinkers1http://www.vleds.com/v3-triton/bulb-system/v3-a.html
RED V3 TRITON LED SYSTEM | 1 PAIR 3157Rear Red Brakes1http://www.vleds.com/v3-triton/bulb-system/v3-r.html
5K WHITE 10 LED DRL/FOG LIGHT BULBS HB3 9005 H10 9145 | 1 PAIRH10 Foglight Bulbs1http://www.vleds.com/bulb-type/drl-fog-lights/h10-9145/5k-white-10-led-drl-fog-light-bulbs-hb3-9005-h10-9145-1-pair.html
T1.5-CWHP: PC74 LED Bulb - High Power Instrument Panel LED : Cool WhiteInstrument Panel10http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/subminiature-bulbs/pc74-led-bulb-high-power-instrument-panel-led/709/
NEO5-WHP: LED Bulb - High Power Instrument Panel LED : 5mm Cool WhiteHVAC3http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/subminiature-bulbs/neox-led-bulb-high-power-instrument-panel-led/221/
NEO4-BHP: LED Bulb - High Power Instrument Panel LED : 4mm BlueKey Ring1http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/subminiature-bulbs/neox-led-bulb-high-power-instrument-panel-led/221/
WLED-WHP5: 194 LED Bulb - 5 SMD LED Wide Angle Wedge Base : Cool WhiteLicense Plate, Footwells, and Rearview Mirror6http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/wedge-bulbs/194-led-bulb-5-smd-led-wide-angle-wedge-base/206/
WLED-A5-CBT: 194 CAN Bus LED Bulb - 5 SMD LED Wedge Base Tower - AMBERFront Amber Side Markers in Headlight2http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/wedge-bulbs/194-can-bus-led-bulb-5-smd-led-wedge-base-tower/1127/

AgentXXX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried to put the license plate LEDs into the rear view mirror locations, but I can't get those bulbs out! They are deeply embedded. I will leave the interior alone for now until I get all the exterior ones right.

I also tried replacing the stock fog lights with Sylvania Silverstars. In the past, these have worked pretty well as headlights. As a fog light, at the lower wattage... they just don't make much difference for $22. I was trying to match the HIDs in color, but the HIDs are still a little higher on the Kelvin scale in color than these Silverstars. I might try to return them if they will take them back, not sure since they are bulbs.

Here is a pic, but ther was not way to take a pic that shows the color difference. Silverstars still a bit yellow. If anyone has any alternatives....

You must be registered for see images attach

Thanks for the great thread, I replaced most of my bulbs with the info here. I cannot get the rearview mirror bulbs out though...can anyone give me help on this? Thanks.

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the great thread, I replaced most of my bulbs with the info here. I cannot get the rearview mirror bulbs out though...can anyone give me help on this? Thanks.

Yes, I had a really hard time. If I recall, I eventually broke the glass bulb trying to use all kinds of tools. But with the broken glass, I was able to grab the metal part of the bulb base with either needle nose pliers or tweezers and get them out. Others report they just came out easily, but I was not so lucky.

TheOldViperMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another item from Superbright you might consider is their LED brake light replacement.
They have a built in 3 strobe flasher. When you hit the brake, all the bulbs flash 3 quick times, then go solid red.
Plug and play, with no control box, etc. I replaced all six brake/tail bulbs in my '09 and works great.
3157-R3W-FL
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/tail-brake-turn/filter/Color,0,3,104:

BillyC

AgentXXX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I had a really hard time. If I recall, I eventually broke the glass bulb trying to use all kinds of tools. But with the broken glass, I was able to grab the metal part of the bulb base with either needle nose pliers or tweezers and get them out. Others report they just came out easily, but I was not so lucky.

Thanks Ohlarikd,
I took the whole mirror down and it doesn't come apart....I was finally able to get them out with a pair of tweezers....what a pain. It looks great now though and worth the trouble.

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Ohlarikd,
I took the whole mirror down and it doesn't come apart....I was finally able to get them out with a pair of tweezers....what a pain. It looks great now though and worth the trouble.

Oh yeah... I did that too. Took mirror out but no way to open it... But at least with the mirror out of the car, the glass pieces didn't fall over my interior when I broke them.

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
has anyone figured out what size the window switch and mirror control LEDs are?

I never even considered those. I didn't even know they lit up! I suspect they are not twist in type bulbs, and may require soldering. Car is in hibernation at this point...

ROYMAN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper specialty offers them, but I'm not trying to buy the whole package or buy different LEDs than the ones I have already ordered

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper specialty offers them, but I'm not trying to buy the whole package or buy different LEDs than the ones I have already ordered

Yeah, I saw that, and because its a service, not a part, that led me to believe the bulbs need to be desoldered and LEDs soldered in. Like the RB1 radio I did. Next time I have my console apart, maybe I'll take a look at the windows switches. On the other hand, they are so subtle and dim, and I want them to stay that way. An LED may make those switches too bright. Hard to say.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Yes we do, though you may be incorrect as "how" we sell them. The Window/Mirror/Lock package is separate from everything else, as is the RB1/RBQ/MyGig radio package. Those two package types are installed items, not just LED's for end user installation. The Window/Mirror/Lock are PCB or SMD LED's, and are quite complicated to install. You REALLY need an SMD rework station to properly install them all, and get the housings apart.

Links:
Mirror/Lock/Window: http://viperspecialtyperformance.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=248
RB1/RBQ: http://viperspecialtyperformance.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=247
MyGig: http://viperspecialtyperformance.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=246

Please excuse the file photos, have been trying to get some really good pictures to update the website. Here are a few example shots:

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally replaced my HIDs (stock 4300K) with 5000K Sylvania Silverstars. This matches the 5000K LEDs in the markers and fogs, so everything looks nice now. Will try to take a picture at night, but my camera never seems to pick up the difference - but in person its clear. The old HIDs looked yellow in comparison (relatively).

ROYMAN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally replaced my HIDs (stock 4300K) with 5000K Sylvania Silverstars. This matches the 5000K LEDs in the markers and fogs, so everything looks nice now. Will try to take a picture at night, but my camera never seems to pick up the difference - but in person its clear. The old HIDs looked yellow in comparison (relatively).

I am looking to do the same with 6000k, and looking into the phillips ultinons.

Did you use the stock ballasts?

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking to do the same with 6000k, and looking into the phillips ultinons.

Did you use the stock ballasts?

I used Sylvania/OSRAM 66144CBI (Cool Blue Intense). Pretty much 5000K. They are plug and play replacements, so no need to change anything like ballasts. They also are 'supposed' to be the brightest.

I looked up Philips Ultinons, I have not heard of them. Looks like reports from users say they actually reduce light output over stock, and the market is flooded with fake ones. Also - I don't think they come in D1S, which is what my 05 Viper uses. I assumed all Vipers use D1S.

I actually don't see any 'name brand' 6000K bulbs. Not sure how to choose.

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back with a Fog Light update. The LED tower I had before was way too bright and scattered light everywhere. I never used them. The color was good though for me at 5K.

I found these single LED 'projector' bulbs. It really focuses light forward and not into the lens. I am just looking for a 'look', not actually any kind of usefulness.

Now, in the car. These bulbs are 6K. I actually wanted 5K, but they don't make them. So I figured I'd give them a whirl anyway out of curiosity. You can see the difference between the LED Tower and this LED Projector

Jury is still out if I like them. I mean they are better than the tower for sure. If had some old cheap fogs, I could paint the reflector black. But I don't. And they are expensive to buy.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have three different 5K foglight options at the moment, ranging from about 875 Lumens, to 2100, to 3000 for the brightest. Its also worth noting that even at the brightest, the bulb design dictates that the light pattern is rather "slit like" as is intentional on a fog light creating a sheet effect. They are definitely bright, but will not make most drivers want to strangle you.

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have three different 5K foglight options at the moment, ranging from about 875 Lumens, to 2100, to 3000 for the brightest. Its also worth noting that even at the brightest, the bulb design dictates that the light pattern is rather "slit like" as is intentional on a fog light creating a sheet effect. They are definitely bright, but will not make most drivers want to strangle you.

Hey Dan. What I REALLY want is a complete fog replacement. That is, a normal sized projector in that fog spot. I don't like the gigantic looking stock units. I know companies make projector fogs, but I've been too lazy to craft any kind of bracket, plus it probably would need a blacked out surround to fill the space. So instead of all that, I just bought these small pin-point type bulbs for now. Perhaps a fog embedded in the ACR cover plates, something like that...

Directlighting

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanking you for sharing the best threads related to led replacement lighting. If you are looking for the best supplier those provide whole sale LED lights now connect with Direct lighting Solutions. They offer a comprehensive range of lightings and products and our experienced team understands the need of clients.

BlackWidow

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Cap'n Hook

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Swapped out my ‘03 map lights this weekend. 2 mins tops. Pop off clear cover, wrap blue shop towel around knurled needle nose pliers, work out the bulb side to side. The bulb did take a lot of pressure to remove, but no broken glass. Seems that the chrome reflector also fell out of passenger map light making that bulb easier to remove.

Be sure to wear eye protection in case of broken glass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper