Let's hear your best "spinout" story

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took out the 2008 ACR to Willow Springs Raceway for Viperdays. On Sunday I corded the front Pilot Cups so I popped for new ones, the worn rears looked good for a couple of more track days. Anyone who's run WSIR knows turn #9 is a fast sweeper into a long front straight, you need to get on the gas early to get up to 155 mph at the end of the straight.

Well at the end of the sweeper I downshift into 3rd and gas it at about 90-100 mph, I gas it at my normat spot but the front tires bite, the worn rears break loose and I do a 1080, 3 perfect spins :D I never left the track surface though :rolleyes:

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Going into turn 13 @ Sebring. Got to wide on the entry and put the front left on the rumble strip. Upset the car and the rear came around. No harm done, stayed on concrete. Only time I've ever spun the car.

OP
OP
S

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Going into turn 13 @ Sebring. Got to wide on the entry and put the front left on the rumble strip. Upset the car and the rear came around. No harm done, stayed on concrete. Only time I've ever spun the car.

I'd love to run Sebring but never towed that far east being in Cali, the closest I've come is Texas World Speedway.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Toronto Motortsports park. Sweep right through turn 1 in 3rd gear while braking and downshifting from 4th. A nice fun smooth corner. EXCEPT! I had just finished adjusting the seat a little and it wasn't locked in place. So the seat started sliding back and forth under braking. Instead of shifting 4-3 I shifted 4-5 . PUlled it out of 5 and aimed for 3 and got 1st.......Ended up jammed against the steering wheel off the track and couldn't get on the pedals because I was jammed in too close. Managed to putter around in 4th pull into the pits and had to crawl out of the car because the seat locked in the full forward position. GTS Bruce

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Running for fun at VOI in Dallas if I remeber correctly. Stock tires, instructor on the right, running thru all the turns until a straight away. The instructor said to "hit it!". Un-aware that I just installed my Roe S/C putting down 640RWHP/740RWTQ.................................:eek:

Spun twice, while seeing all the cars behind me in the rear view hitting their brakes hard........... :rolaugh:

No damage, no foul.........:D

1994viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Toronto Motortsports park. Sweep right through turn 1 in 3rd gear while braking and downshifting from 4th. A nice fun smooth corner. EXCEPT! I had just finished adjusting the seat a little and it wasn't locked in place. So the seat started sliding back and forth under braking. Instead of shifting 4-3 I shifted 4-5 . PUlled it out of 5 and aimed for 3 and got 1st.......Ended up jammed against the steering wheel off the track and couldn't get on the pedals because I was jammed in too close. Managed to putter around in 4th pull into the pits and had to crawl out of the car because the seat locked in the full forward position. GTS Bruce

Hey, I spun out in turn 1 there as well. Mine wasn't as dramatic as yours.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Turn 16 at Sebring, in my 1996 RT/10.... I was trying to increase my top speed on that straight...and got on the "go pedal" incorrectly...... spun out.... I was fine after I realized I had passed the concrete retaining wall..........and wasn't going to hit it......

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just bought my GTS 3 days before. I took it to the Brian Angen Memorial Track Day preceding Viper Days at Buttonwillow. Just got out of the Miata from the previous session and jumped into the VIper. Going into Turn 3 "off ramp"in the clockwise direction, I downshifted to 2nd and did not match revs fast enough when I let out the clutch. Back end started around and off the track we went. 1st and only time I took both the Miata and the Viper to the track.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vegas Superspeedway (VOI-9), I don't remember which turn, but do remember going in to apex WAY too early. Shot right out the back, off the turn. Hit the gravel (felt like ice), started sliding sideways right to the concrete wall. All I could think of is "how in the heck am I gonna drive home to TN with a wrecked Viper?". Luckily I stopped about 10 ft from the wall. Wheels a bit dinged from the gravel, but other than that, no damage.

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My son was mowing the grass at my place of business in an industrial park on a corner lot. I drove the '93 to check up on him, downshifted to second, made a fast, left hand 90* turn, spun around 180*, and came to a perfect stop in the proper lane. Just like it was planned.....right! Anyway, he was impressed.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Watkins Glen turn 9 in the rain. Went around and ended up stopped cross wise at the apex. Had my R3 Neck support on (before I got the moving tethers). Couldn't turn my head to look at what traffic might be bearing down on me and was too afraid to disconnect the neck support in case some car t-boned me. Saw cars going around me front and rear. Scared the bejesus out of me. Couldn't see the corner worker so I gassed it and got the heck out of Dodge (parden the pun).

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
14 years ago at PHX international. Have new-used BFG KW's, gonna top my personal best by at least 2 seconds in my 94 RT/10. 3rd lap, flying down front straight, turn left to go on the road course, hit the transistion hard, car rotating right, (had seen folks go throught the wet grass on the right and it the wall), so I put 2 feet in, viper does a perfect 360 but nicks the inside wall on the right front corner. Kept it going all the way around the track off line, 4 deep flat spots. Thought I had sideswiped the whole passenger side, Pulled in and asked Eddie Martin from Bill Luke to tell me how it looked, turned out to be 2, 6" diameter circles on the bumper and a cracked headlight. On the front straight I passed a guy in a Camaro, he told me he couldn't see anything with all the tire smoke so he did the NACAR approach and went at the biggest plume of smoke and missed me. Sometimes I ***** that that doing that slowed me down forever, and sometimes I think it may have saved my life at future events.

Ron, you'll always be faster than me at turn 9 at Willow, don't want to meet that pit wall and saw a guy in a mini roll in the desert and .... This thread is another reminder to get a Hans. Be fast and safe! Mike

VJR3

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"The Kink" turn 11 at Nelson Ledges. 5 months after owning my Viper, my first track day, 2nd session of the day, and the brakes went out at 120mph. I over compensated turning while down shifting into 3rd and dropped the right front tire into the grass at the apex, it sucked me in spun the car 180, sent me backwards over the track, yes I said over, completely airborn, tires never touch the track, into the grass on the otherside. The landing was so soft and smooth. There was no damage to the car except for alot of grass and dirt everywhere. It was the talk of the lunch hour. We got the car fixed and I finished doing 2 of the 3 afternoon sessions. From then on I have been even more hook on racing then I was before. Nelson Ledges is a very fast punishing track and turn 11 "The Kink" gives me the jitters every time I enter it.

red heat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Watkins Glen turn 9 in the rain. Went around and ended up stopped cross wise at the apex. Had my R3 Neck support on (before I got the moving tethers). Couldn't turn my head to look at what traffic might be bearing down on me and was too afraid to disconnect the neck support in case some car t-boned me. Saw cars going around me front and rear. Scared the bejesus out of me. Couldn't see the corner worker so I gassed it and got the heck out of Dodge (parden the pun).

I just finished out the day at Watkins Glen. I registered in the advanced run group with my 09 ACR. Pouring rain. I took one lap around the track gooing about 50 MPH, getting basically run over by everyone. I pulled off thinking I have no business being out here. Well, the track dried out later in the day. Needless to say, I re-established who owned the track.:D

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greenwell Road, Knoxville, TN when I first got the car. Hit a rise in the road way too fast. Car went airborne, came down and slid perpendicular down the road but I finally pulled it back around before it went beyond the point of no return. Does that count?:D

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i know at the time it was not funny but your story made me laugh imagining the look on your face pressed up against the steering wheel and probably the windshield then jimmying your way out of your car after that experience. I personally would have kissed the ground. Glad there was no damage to you or your car!!!

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have video of the only time I spun out. Small local track. Drove too fast through the cones and this was the result. Nothing major but the fence was too close for comfort..haha.. Enjoy... [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SteDavHQn4[/media]

And before anybody blames the tires, the car, the track, the weather, the humidity, the moon's position that day, the pavement, the earth's gravitational pull or whatever other million excuses people seem to have for loosing it. This was MY FAULT. !!!!. I overdrove the car and this was the result. Had a great time learning what NOT to do again.

1994viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went with my other car (Lexus GS400) to TMP last weekend and did a whoopsie.

Trying to chase down some supercharged toyota baggy, I spun out @ about 5:35
Please discard the lingo

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Iw8Qg6IV9A[/media]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang