Lighthearted fun...which car gets the most looks, Gen II or III/IV?

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not directly related to the subject but, I was out cruising around with my buddy and his '09 Challenger. No matter where we were, it was like my '09 Viper was invisible. People couldn't get enough of his Challenger. Good thing I didn't buy my car cause I wanted to get noticed!

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't owned both but have driven both and have put a reasonable amount of miles on a Gen III to get a pretty good idea and have to say I did not get the people honking, waving and yelling when I drove the Gen III and Gen IV cars like I do in my GTS.

That said I love both body styles and would love to have a SRT10 vert next to my GTS for those nice top down weather days.

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my ACR gets more attention than my 96 GTS these days.... but 9 years ago, my GTS got more attention than my ACR does now...

As the Viper line ages, there are more of them out there, and people are used to seeing them.... so the overall attention gradually declines....

My GT-R gets more attention than the GTS and ACR get combined, just because its a new car and there isn't that many of them out yet...

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One look is current, while the other is timeless. They will have Gen1/2's in museums in the future. The 08-09 ACR's will get a lot more looks for all of the aero stuff. Hate to say it, but the blandest Viper (and a bland Viper is better than most other cars out there) would be a gen3 vert stock.

Performance wise... gen4 tops them all!

Ouch! That hurts! My gen3 vert stock is giving me so much pleasure I can't believe everybody else doesn't love my car. But I agree with you Warfang. I want a gen 1/2 RT/10 and also a GTS because I think they are rolling art. And then I'd throw in a gen4 coupe to complete the set.

Maybe I should put some stripes on my red gen3 vert. Would that help?

Bob

viper k

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen Ii By Far Get More Looks Then Anyother Vipers Most People Ask Who Makes That Car And I Say Dodge They Say Really

PowerKraus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bdelass

snip <<But after all, the '08 is SSG in color with black stripes.....you know the color....."just give me the ticket already officer, green". And I thought the '97 was bad for drawing attention, but I've literally had 17 year old kids doing drive-by photo shoots at stop lights and gas stations with this thing! I'm sure this is no different than any other Viper owner's experiences though...just thought I'd share>>

As a middle age, midlife crisis, I like attention double AA personality male....I ESPECIALLY enjoy the occasional 'boobie flash' from the young gals. I need to start travelling with a camera !

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have found that my Copperhead gets a lot more attention than my GTS. Of coarse the GTS is solid black while the bright metallic burnt orange Copperhead says arrest me!!
I have also noticed that women like the Copperhead way more than the GTS, where men seem to like the GTS more.

So if the Copperhead is a chic magnet the GTS is a d$%k magnet, sounds bad but the truth is teenage boys seem to be the people that are into the GTS the most.

My fiance was just expounding on the same topic to me yesterday. I've always loved the GTS lines, but the hook was really set with me the first time I drove one for a few hours. Needless to say, once the wedding settles and we move, I am looking to put one in the garage.

She begs to differ. She hates the clownshoe appearance. Having never followed cars or Vipers, she coined that comment on her own without foreknowledge. Likewise, as you said above, she digs the hell out of the 08 and newer bodies in Venom Red and suggests I wait for the price to come down on THEM instead.

I found it interesting and tried to sound her out, saying the Gen IIs have a unique and classic styling whereas the Gen 4 is attractive, but muted. And sorry to say, but to my eye the newer ACRs, ZR1s and even the Z06s all look like poser rice material. It works if you actually track it more than twice a year. Otherwise, I don't get it. But I don't have to get why anyone else loves their car or not. To make a long story short, she really didn't have further commentary to offer. Just that the new ones are "prettier."

And sad to say, but she did say they looked like Corvettes and that was why she liked the Gen 4s.In the next breath she asked why we shouldn't just get a new Z06. At that point I did something I've never done to my wife-to-be... :slap::spank:

...and then the fight started :D

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can't blame her, the Vette is a girls car. Turn on the TC and you don't even have to know how to drive well.

Course, the Viper is nothing like that. Is SHE going to be driving it? If so, you might want to get the Gen2 and leave it stock wiht only 450hp. The Gen 4 has 600hp - way too much for most.

Ted

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Performance wise... gen4 tops them all!

I disagree, yes from the factory they are for sure the top dog, but...

If you are a gear head such as myself you can put a supercharger or turbo on any of the other generations and ***** slap a Gen4. We all know that you cant have that with the new car. Headers, exhaust and a little computer work is the limit on the Gen4, with the rest the sky is the limit.:2tu:

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't blame her, the Vette is a girls car. Turn on the TC and you don't even have to know how to drive well.

Course, the Viper is nothing like that. Is SHE going to be driving it? If so, you might want to get the Gen2 and leave it stock wiht only 450hp. The Gen 4 has 600hp - way too much for most.

Ted

Yes, she will. Whatever GTS I end up with will likely see some polished tubes from Roe Racing replace the twin intake tunnels. (Edit: in a perfect world, I'd love to build a rough twin of your own Sapphire GTS - just without the stripes on mine) Caroline is the only girl I have ever known who I would trust behind the wheel of anything with some power. Her last car was a 420hp turbo car. The only thing we'd need to go through is getting her to understand torque and how the Viper V10's power under the curve affects decisions when driving. It's not a point and stab car like hers have been.

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it's too bad that Gen II owners say Gen III's look like Vettes, when they above others should know that 03 Vipers came before 05 Vettes.

Doesn't make them wrong, just that it deserves pointing out that the Vette looks like the Viper, not the other way around.

Come to think of it, maybe that's why I like the look of the new Vettes.:lmao:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, she will. Whatever GTS I end up with will likely see some polished tubes from Roe Racing replace the twin intake tunnels. (Edit: in a perfect world, I'd love to build a rough twin of your own Sapphire GTS - just without the stripes on mine) Caroline is the only girl I have ever known who I would trust behind the wheel of anything with some power. Her last car was a 420hp turbo car. The only thing we'd need to go through is getting her to understand torque and how the Viper V10's power under the curve affects decisions when driving. It's not a point and stab car like hers have been.

That's what HP driving courses are all about. Not only are those courses worth the money, but they actually give you a feel for what these cars can do when pushed to the limits in corners. It's also a blast to do.

Thanks for the compliment :). I put 22,000 miles on my car in 1 1/2 years. I've driven across the continent 3 times in it.

If you're into modified Vipers then you need a GTS (like C-note said). Buying used also means that you can find a Viper already highly modified for only slightly higher than stock price. Lightweight aftermarket brakes are a good choice (especially if you uograde the fronts to Gen3). Superchargers, exhaust, Bluetooth Stereo, TPMS, Nav, Radar detector, lighweight wheels, PS2s and engine mods worth $60,000 can be bought for merely $5-15K more than stock price on a classic Viper. What I like the most is that MY car has all the mods that are important to ME. Although my striped Sapphire/Silver is 1 of about 17, it's 1 of 1 because of the mods.

If GTS wasn't my Fav. I would probably own a Gen4 coupe. Good luck to you, and Caroline.

Ted

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it's too bad that Gen II owners say Gen III's look like Vettes, when they above others should know that 03 Vipers came before 05 Vettes.

Doesn't make them wrong, just that it deserves pointing out that the Vette looks like the Viper, not the other way around.

If my niece looks like my nephew then logic dictates my nephew looks like my niece. Doesn't matter who came first. :)

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If my niece looks like my nephew then logic dictates my nephew looks like my niece. Doesn't matter who came first. :)
Exactly
nobody is saying that the SRT is a copy of the C6, just that they look alike from a distance
but I think that is the only real downfall of the SRT, otherwise it is an awesome car :D

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I own a gen 3 and I like the looks of all of them. But I have to admit the gen 1 and 2's definitely have a more radical look to them and catch the eye more than the gen 3/4's.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our club had a Sonic event last night and 2 kids could barely stand up when they saw my car. They were slurring their speech and fumbling what to say they were so excited. They did not even give the 07 Z06 parking next to me a 2nd look.

Bruce

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Gen 1 got toooooooooooo much attention. Back in the 90's (in Orlando) I was coming out of a Kmart with a plant in my hand. I was mobbed by a Brazilian tour bus of kids that wanted my autograph!

The gen 3 not so much. LOL.

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any Gen 4 ACR will get more attention hands down. A true race car look for the street and even the grannies would think that.

carmined

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Gen 3s are the best looking. Gen 1 and 2 are too much over the top. If Gen 3 didn't come out, I would have never bought one.

Also, love those Gen 1 tops, isn't that special. Would hate to get caught in the rain.

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen 3s are the best looking. Gen 1 and 2 are too much over the top. If Gen 3 didn't come out, I would have never bought one.

Also, love those Gen 1 tops, isn't that special. Would hate to get caught in the rain.

Opinions are like A-Holes, everybody has one.

carmined

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Ted

The Vette is a girl's car. My wife drives ours. I keep saying the Corvette club should schedule a bra and ***** day for the members with the logo on the front of the *******.

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I owned both Gens II & IV. It seems like the general public does not really know the dfference and they gawk as much at one as the other just because it is a Viper. I think stripes differentiate any confusion with a Vette, but I see where there is some special edition Vette now coning out with stripes. You know the old saying about iimitation is the best form of flattery.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang