limp mode on 08

vinny2

Viper Owner
Reaction score
08 with 2400 miles. A few weeks ago, after not being driven for awhile, and very cold temps, car went into limp mode while driving. I stopped, and cycled the ignition key a few times, and it cleared, and was fine after that. Yetsreday, also been a couple of weeks since driven, but not really cold temps, did the same thing. Cycled ignition a few times, it cleared, and was fine the rest of the day. Any ideas on cause? What should I have checked out, if anything?
Thanks in advance.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Cam sensor or an injector both come to mind.

No check ngine light or codes??

What color is your 08? (I have observed a loose correlation between color and some "troubles"...possibly since batches of colors were done during the build year).

OP
OP
V

vinny2

Viper Owner
Reaction score
yes, check engine light, and that symbol that looks like a lightning bolt. In the manual for that symbol, it just says "take to your dealer". When i cycle the ignition ( key) a few times, the check engine light, and symbol, go away. After first time, i put the code reader on it, but got no code.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same thing a while back. Mine was due to a low battery. Tried to start and didn't turn over as it should. Love to know if they were connected.

Isn't the lightning bolt, no charge from the alt.?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
vinny2, now that I'm on my laptop, I SEE your avitar...BLUE car...which cannot be seen from the PDA I used for first response. I would NOT suspect cam sensor "early batch" problem (ones that I have seen were on Venom Red and SSG cars)...though it's still in the running.

You might check serial number (next to part number) on your injectors as SOME of the "72xxxxxx" series had problems. That problem even went as late as a few "orange cars"...noting that these loose color associations are due to build date for various color batches.

copmagnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get it checked out by your dealer. I had this same problem(lightning bolt, CEL, limp mode), and I was stubborn about taking it in to get checked out. Long story short, I cycled my key also to get rid of the limp mode and drove to my destination that day. Only to find out later on when I wanted to start the car to return home...the ECU crapped out and I was stuck. Had to have roadside assitance flat bed me to the nearest dealership.
I believe my problem was the cam sensor. Although due to a "green" viper mechanic at the first dealership it was taken too, there were many avenues that could have been the fix. First they replaced my ECU. Then cam sensor. Then all ten injectors. Only to find out, that they forgot to recalibrate the new ECU to all the sensors like the throttle control module. This was a 2 month headache, strictly due to trial and error from this dealership's Viper mechanic. I finally took it to a well known Viper dealership and they took care of the problem immediatly.

So don't get stranded like me. I reset mine a couple times before all this happened. Your light is coming on for a reason, and it will come on again. Go get it checked out and let us know.

Reaction score
A lot of times the lightning bolt will indicate a problem with the plug on one of the throttle bodies. Check to make sure the plugs are all pushed on all the way, check also for excessive dielectric grease in them. If you are not getting a misfire code it will not be the injectors or the cam sensor. With 2800 miles I doubt the injectors are the problem.

Tabs1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Had the same problem last week. Exactly. It seems that a low battery causes some problems on this car. Same thing happens with the corvettes ( same problem with my C6). My car just barely cranked over due to the low battery before I took it out that night. I took the car out again on this last saturday during the day, no lights on, and got to charge the battery while driving her, no problems.

Did the problem happen while your lights were on as you drove?

Mine is a bright blue '08 from Woodhouse. 3100 miles.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have read dozens of posts about low batteries causing problems. Why is this? I understand the car might be hard to start but why does the car run poorly? Can't you disconnect the battery and have the engine continue running off of the alternator? I always thought this was the case.

Reaction score
I have read dozens of posts about low batteries causing problems. Why is this? I understand the car might be hard to start but why does the car run poorly? Can't you disconnect the battery and have the engine continue running off of the alternator? I always thought this was the case.

PCM HAS to have a specific and constant voltage to work or you will get a limp mode to protect it. If you keep doing this over and over you can ruin the PCM. Now if you take the battery out and re install without trying to start it it will be fine it is just when you try and run it with low voltage.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PCM HAS to have a specific and constant voltage to work or you will get a limp mode to protect it. If you keep doing this over and over you can ruin the PCM. Now if you take the battery out and re install without trying to start it it will be fine it is just when you try and run it with low voltage.

Mark, doesn't the PCM see constant voltage from the alternator when the engine is running? Why does it care about the state of the battery when the alternator should be providing the voltage to run the car and charge the battery? Seems odd to me.

Reaction score
Mark, doesn't the PCM see constant voltage from the alternator when the engine is running? Why does it care about the state of the battery when the alternator should be providing the voltage to run the car and charge the battery? Seems odd to me.

I don't believe the voltage is regulated that way and on the Gen4 cars the Venom controller is just THAT sensitive to every fluctuation. The electronics in the throttle bodies is also affected and that is a safety issue if there is a failure hence the limp mode.

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Similar problem with battery/starting. Dealer installed a 800 amp hour battery and no more problems...the factory installed a 600 amp battery which is too small!

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't believe the voltage is regulated that way and on the Gen4 cars the Venom controller is just THAT sensitive to every fluctuation. The electronics in the throttle bodies is also affected and that is a safety issue if there is a failure hence the limp mode.

Mark, that makes sense I guess on the Gen 4s but what about all the posts on this site about previous Gens running poorly because of low batteries. Is this the same issue? Their PCMs are also too sensitive to voltage? Curious if I could have the same issue on my Gen 3. I generally keep both my Gen 3 and Gen 4 on a tender but things happen.

OP
OP
V

vinny2

Viper Owner
Reaction score
so Mark- should I:
1. get an 800 amp battery?
2. put it on a tender while not being driven for extended periods?
3. take it to a dealer to check ECU, PCM, spark plugs, cam sensor, etc....?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
vinny2, I would encourage you to take your fine ride to a dealership who has a competent, experienced Viper Tech.

Many folks have changed out the OEM battery and they feel better off for it. (I'm one)

A tender is a must in my opinion...noting I have seven in use now.

Our collective "guessing" can occasionally help or point one in the right direction...none of which(certainly in my own case) should preclude the aforementioned professional evaluation!!!

Reaction score
Mark, that makes sense I guess on the Gen 4s but what about all the posts on this site about previous Gens running poorly because of low batteries. Is this the same issue? Their PCMs are also too sensitive to voltage? Curious if I could have the same issue on my Gen 3. I generally keep both my Gen 3 and Gen 4 on a tender but things happen.

When the battery is low the alternator is also trying to charge it because of the low condition, this will take away some of what it is providing would it not? So yes the bad battery will affect all cars, even race cars need batteries.

Reaction score
so Mark- should I:
1. get an 800 amp battery?
2. put it on a tender while not being driven for extended periods?
3. take it to a dealer to check ECU, PCM, spark plugs, cam sensor, etc....?

Yes take it in and have the codes retrieved to be sure. and every non daily driven Viper should have a tender in my opinion. Mine is plugged in to an on board tender each time I pull in the garage. getting ready for the all electric cars. :rolaugh:

The stock battery is fine as long as the charge is maintained, I have customers with 98's using the factory battery still!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Mark said: "When the battery is low the alternator is also trying to charge it because of the low condition, this will take away some of what it is providing would it not? So yes the bad battery will affect all cars, even race cars need batteries."

I would add that this is especially true with a faulty/failing battery !!!

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
vinny2, Had this same problem on my '09 coupe (guess it wasn't 'special' to the '08 cars). Car had 500 miles. Anyway the lightning bolt is for the electronic throttle bodies (don't you just love them). 1st- Had the ETB re-calibrated. picked up the car...good for another 500 miles. Then lightning bolt again. Brought it back to dealer and they replaced the entire VENOM controller (thank goodness for warranty..part was over $2,000:omg:...no problems since.

1st Strike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vinnie, I believe there is a recall on that problem. I had it on my 08 ACR and took it in been as good as new since. I believe it was the cam sensor.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When the battery is low the alternator is also trying to charge it because of the low condition, this will take away some of what it is providing would it not? So yes the bad battery will affect all cars, even race cars need batteries.

Ok, that makes sense but only if the alternator is inadequate for the job. Never heard of any other car that is as sensitive to a low battery. Any car I've had once started ran fine regardless of the state or condition of the battery. Do Vipers need bigger alternators?

VIPER R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, that makes sense but only if the alternator is inadequate for the job. Never heard of any other car that is as sensitive to a low battery. Any car I've had once started ran fine regardless of the state or condition of the battery. Do Vipers need bigger alternators?
Ford GT's are notorious for low battery problems. I keep mine on the charger all the time. Also bad ground wire connection problems. It may be worth your while to make sure the ground cable from the battery to frame is clean and tight.

Reaction score
Is the recall for all 2008 Vipers? Or is it a TB? Mark J., do you know anything about this recall? :confused:

There was a bulletin about the cam sensor, a flash upgrade to desensitize the cold start misfire code because of the cam sensor and one to check for injectors sticking on a few 08's. If you send me the VIN I can check and see what has been done if anything.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery