Locked out, Batteries Dead (HELP)

RockyTop

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back hatch requires no battery. Open it, reach in and trip the emergency (i.e., mechanical not elctrical) lever on the inner door post on either door to open the door. Hood should also open with no battery needed. Hook up a Battery Tender (T.M.) to the battery post there (covered by red plastic cover) and hook the negative to the small screw on upper surface of sidesill just below and to the left of the battery post. Using a battery tender should allow you to avoid this all too common occurrence.

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks,
I thought I had a latch pull inside the car for the hood , but that must be for my other car, where can I get a battery tender for my car?
thanks again
FLX

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Some places refer to them as automatic trickle chargers and not battery tenders.
Just thought I'd point that out
smile.gif

COOLASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Battery tenders.com you wire as to the preveous thread and there on sale for 49.95 just bought two for myself. Happy charging.
smile.gif

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to clarify Bigfoot's statement:

Trickle chargers are NOT the same as battery tenders. Battery tenders will shut off, whereas a trickle charger always puts current through to the battery.

You want a battery tender... that way, you can leave the Viper plugged in until next use
smile.gif

As for good buying spots, try Ebay! I just bought a battery tender Jr model (smaller) for $30 SHIPPED! If you prefer the standard unit, I believe you can get it for about $20 more (although I'm not sure why you'd want the bigger unit). Both come with the quick disconnects.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Pep-Boys, Autosport, Herrington ALL carry the Deltran Battery Tender...the latter two can be ordered by phone with overnight shipping...cost $54.95-59.95 plus shipping.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Achillies99,
Sorry bud, that's what I thought.
I have one hooked to my car right now as I type this, and the key is that it is AUTOMATIC. Which means, it turns it self on or off depending on weather or not your battery is completely charged or is drawing some amps.
The bonus to my trickle/tender if you will, is that I CAN also charge with it.
Ain't modern technology great.
I sell them for $59.99 Canadian $$, I think that's about $.20 US
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Seriously though, they are available, but read the box carefully to make sure it automatically shuts off when battery is fully charged

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know what I should do to get in my car now?
My batteries dead, doors won't open, can't get under the hood.
Do I have to open up my battery compartment and put juice in that way? any ideas?
thanks
FLX

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Uhm...why can't you get under your hood??? Nothing electric about opening the hood...

You can attach a charger under the hood, but it sounds like you are fairly dead...I'd remove the battery and charge it, or replace it, depending on how old the battery is...

You could charge it for a little while from under the hood, enough to get in the doors and roll the windows down, then pull the battery...

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No problem, Bigfoot. Just wanted to make sure that someone didn't make the same mistake as I (nothing like leaving a trickle charger on for too long... ask me how I know
frown.gif
).

You brought up a point that I don't know the answer to, though. You mentioned that your battery tender will also charge a battery. Wouldn't any batter tender also charge? Perhaps at a slower rate than a regular "charger", but eventually the battery (even one that was dead) would be full, right?

Don

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mopar4ever:
If any of you guys are stupid enough to let your battery go dead with the keys IN the car (with the doors locked) your Dodge dealer can make a new key from your VIN #.
Then you can go in through the hatch.
I learned this from experience (refer to first sentence).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's great, if there was a place to insert the key
smile.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine