locked out of my car HELP!!!

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Leaving Easter Sunday with the family, my key fob wasn't working. My wife is small enough to get threw the back window and couldn't start the car..battery dead. I forgot that the fob won't work when the battery is dead. She left the keys in the ignition and the window was shut! I am locked out and AAA can't do anything to open the door. What do I do? Please PM me ASAP. Its a 2000 ACR

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
*deleted*

TO ALL - this post was deleted, so we dont compromise the security of all our members cars.

please send *** instead, to VCA members needing information on to how to open locked vipers. (you never know who is reading this stuff.)

thank you for your understanding.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
*deleted*

TO ALL - this post was deleted, so we dont compromise the security of all our members cars.

please send *** instead, to VCA members needing information on to how to open locked vipers. (you never know who is reading this stuff.)

thank you for your understanding.

Last edited by a moderator:

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the rear hatch open you can reach around inside the back pillar and pull down on the emergency door latches which are on the inside of the door, to the rear of the door windows.

OP
OP
T

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ok..disassembled the bolt and took off the cable..waited and then reassembled and tried another jump...still dead. OkLONERANGER...the rear window is now shut though, as she came out and left the keys in the car. We are now trying to get into the trunk by going under the license plate....any other ideas please help!....

Last edited:

Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok..disassembled the bolt and took off the cable..waited and then reassembled and tried another jump...still dead. OkLONERANGER...the rear window is now shut though, as she came out and left the keys in the car. We are now trying to get into the trunk by going under the license plate....any other ideas please help!....

Why did you disassemble and disconnect anything? Open the hood and you'll find a stud to jump start the car. I beleive it has a Red cap over the stud with a large "+" symbol on it. Jump it as you would any other car, but hook the jumper cables to that stud instead of the battery itself.

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why did you disassemble and disconnect anything? Open the hood and you'll find a stud to jump start the car. I beleive it has a Red cap over the stud with a large "+" symbol on it. Jump it as you would any other car, but hook the jumper cables to that stud instead of the battery itself.

Keys are locked in the car. Was trying to trick the alarm module into unlocking the doors.

OP
OP
T

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well the car is sitting for the night. Do i have to tow the car to a dodge dealer to get a key made or can a locksmith do one on site with no key? I'd hate to just have the car towed to then make a key if a locksmith can do it. Tomorrow will be a fun day...It has been so long since bringing the car out of storage that I forgot to turn off the headlights....throw in my wife leaving the keys in the car when we opened the trunk......not a great end to a great Easter! Thanks for the replies everyone..

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom,

i saw that post and thought the same thing. GREAT tip for the honest, not so for the others. good move on removing it and thanks, i wont forget that one (i hope)

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Call or visit YOUR dealer with your VIN and they can cut a key for you that can be used to enter the hatch. If you are not knownto the nearest dealer, take your title as proof of ownership.

Good luck.

OP
OP
T

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I already went to the dealer today with my title and VIN and got a new key cut (and a new FOB on the way so this crap doesn't happen again). The bad news is the battery is toast. We have it on a charger now and hopefully i will get in action soon so I can get home. Thanks to everyone who helped. At least you learn some new stuff each time things go wrong (would not have known to try those tricks).

OP
OP
T

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
one more question. Since the car isn't starting with the jump from another car, it is on a battery charger which seems to be charging this slower. How long before I have enough juice to fully turn the car over and start? When I originally jumped the car, it started but died after 1 or 2 seconds. Then it seemed to flood and wouldn't turn over. That is when we decided to put it on a battery charger. 30 minutes have not given it enough juice to start though....should I be planning for a long day?

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tell me you didn't take the postive cable/stud apart.
You're going to need hours to re-charge the batt from dead, depending on the charge rate of the charger you've got it on, (2amp/hr, 10amp/hr?) and if or not you've damaged the power distribution center/fuse box stud.

vpower01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
GO get a better charger, most have an engine start switch that gets you going even if you have to let it sit 10 minuets.
Or you can wait until tomorrow if its a trickle charger. :crazy2:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope the stud on the stud is untouched.

Best bet is a new battery. Vipers are very sensitive to any slight discharges

OP
OP
T

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well decided to go with the jump from a car. It started after the host vehicle was idling for a few minutes. Was about to just pony up and call Dodge to bring out a flatbed and tow in for service. Car started and is home now. At least I learned something; "keep a few sets of keys and FOBS."

I guess the Dodge viper key is 125 dollars but it is only 15 if you get a generic dodge emblem and not the viper one. The FOB is 75. So I went generic and got an extra FOB...so I guess it was a good learning experience.