Look for a 1996 RT/10 Factory Hard Top

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just as the title states, I am looking for a factory 1996 RT/10 Hard Top. My car originally was ordered with the optional Hard Top but it was lost along it's way to my ownership later on. Car has the factory slots in the targa bar top already. Was told the later 1998 to 2002 RT tops will not work. 1996 is that weird GEN 1.5 Can anyone help? Not interested in the Vipermania or any of the others other than the factory 1996 Hard Top. Already talked with a few trusted vendors with zero luck. Thanks for any help!

Last edited:

viper vince

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know that you want a factory top but have you looked at the 3 pc top from trunk master? I saw one last weekend and it looked great and the best part you can take it off with one person and keep it in the trunk.

OP
OP
C

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Vince, but not interested in a non-factory top. The 3 piece, autoform, etc. are all nice tops however I would like the factory one.

Can anyone verify if the 1996 RT/10 factory optioned hard top is unique to that year only or is it the same as the 1998-2002 RT/10 Hardtops. In pictures, they look identical though maybe pin placement is different or something. The 92-95 hardtops all requiere the rear sport bar pad to be removed; my 96' has the factory slots already on it so it doesn't.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

rpm9000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you will find that your 96 uses the same hard top as the 92-95. The top that I have on my 95 came off of a 96. You are correct in that you do have to remove the sports bar pad to install the hard top. The 92-95's also have the slots in the sports bar pad that are used to install the soft top. I don't know if a Gen.2 top will fit your car or not. I have always wondered that myself.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hard tops for '92-'95 vary slightly as the pins that attach the top to the windsheild header are different. I don't think a GEN II top will fit a GEN I without some modification. Maybe give Don Scharff a try?

impalassed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Agree. Parts/wrecked car contacts we have are your best bet. I bought a spoiler, hard top and wheel. Best part the top and spoiler were paint matched saving me time and money and I helped out a vendor here.

OP
OP
C

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Guys;

Understood on the sports bars being the same from 92-95 and 96. I think you are correct there. The 96 RT/10 Hardtop however must be a 96-Only unique hard-top piece as you do not have to remove the bar pad to install and use it. All the pictures I have seen of the 96 Hard Top on the car, the pad is still attached. What ***** is Old Mopar Parts had an NOS piece in primer for sale for some time prior. My Viper came quick in the trade for my Mach 1 which presetned itself and trade made in 24 hrs. 2 days later they sold their last 96 hard Top and I missed the opportunity. Someone must have a wrecked one out there? I will call Don as well!

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is interesting. My hardtop, which I always assumed to be factory, DOES have to have the sportspad removed to install it. The top has 2 bolts in the back of it that screw into the back of the sportscap. With the pad on, you cannot access the holes.

I sold a 96' RT/10 hardtop a couple years ago that was the same way.

Are you positive the pad can stay on when a factory hardtop is installed?

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is interesting. My hardtop, which I always assumed to be factory, DOES have to have the sportspad removed to install it. The top has 2 bolts in the back of it that screw into the back of the sportscap. With the pad on, you cannot access the holes.

I sold a 96' RT/10 hardtop a couple years ago that was the same way.

Are you positive the pad can stay on when a factory hardtop is installed?

This is the way i understand it as well Chad. I thought sportpad had to be removed.

dtvtech

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a beautiful black gen one top for sale. I bought a Lemke for me. I'm not sure If it fits yours or not pm me if you're interested.

OP
OP
C

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dtvtech; Thanks I will e-mail you this weekend. As far as the other aspects of the 96 hard top, I guess I could be wrong (would not be the first time). The one I saw was here in Colorado, now 5 years ago, the pad was still on, and the top was on, not unless he just set the top on there. It was just in the garage so maybe I am confused. As a factory optioned top, seems weird that they would have you remove the pad for a factory option top. Then again it was 1996! Sounds like dtvtech may be able to help me out.

Danconyes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen1 factory top requires removal of the sports bar pad. Since the 96 still used soft side windows, it is likely that it requires the Gen1 top. Not sure though.

OP
OP
C

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Dan;

Guess we will find out as dtvtech helped me out a ton with the purchase of his Black top which is on it's way to me now. I will not even have to paint it. :) Thank you dtvtech!

I will post some pictures once I get it on and hopefully it can answer the question for any other 1996 RT/10 owners questioning which top works for that year. Love it when the club comes together like this to help! It really makes up for the times the threads sink to the bottom of the ocean trolling.

OP
OP
C

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay so the update (finally);

Thank you so much DTVTECH for the help with the awesome GEN I Factory Hard Top in black, none the less. I guess we answered the question of what top fits a 1996 RT/10 as it is definitely a GEN I top.

It is in absolutely mint condition. Headliner is like brand new and the top fits the car like a glove. With the Vipermania Hard Windows another VCA member so graciously offered up, and the 01’ ACR BBS Factory Rims with new refinish another VCA member made available, my 96 RT/10 is starting to take shape the way I really wanted it to.

Enjoy the pictures:

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
C

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, had to remove the sports pad to mount the factory GEN I top, just as others had recommended. Because the factory top sits so low, it is the only way to actually mount it on there. Was 4 bolts total plus unscrewing the two soft top clamp pegs and the pad came off in about 2 minutes tops. Not a big issue! Absolutely love it and could not have made this happen without the help of great VCA members!

arizonajack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was 4 bolts total plus unscrewing the two soft top clamp pegs and the pad came off in about 2 minutes tops.

Do not lose those soft top clamp pegs. They are an odd sized thread and diameter and not cheap. The bolts that hold the pad can be replaced with hex head bolts that are easier to take out with an end wrench.

Matty

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks ArizonaJack: I have learned that one the hard way once already, I have a spot in my garage dedicated to Viper things.

DaJerseyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know that you want a factory top but have you looked at the 3 pc top from trunk master? I saw one last weekend and it looked great and the best part you can take it off with one person and keep it in the trunk.
Leaks like a *****...and Impossible to find, Just sold mine..

I saw a few factory hard tops on Ebay this week. Reasonable prices too..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456