Looked at a 65' Mustang, and also an SRT-10 and saw something suprising

Saleen-Explorer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looked at a 65\' Mustang, and also an SRT-10 and saw something suprising

I was driving home the other day and I was turning a car caught the corner of my eye. Came back up the other way, and it ended up being a beautiful 65' Mustang convertable. It was at one of the dealers here, Presedential Auto Leasing, who is now also getting into the older muscle car area (said they also had a Chevelle but I didn't see it) in addition to still having high end cars available. Anyways, the Mustang was gorgeous, deep blue w/ a slight purplish tint to it, white top, white interior, nice wheels and fully restored and had I think 61K miles on it and was an auto, (almost sure it was a k-code). Went inside and the guy got the keys and we started it up, mmmmm, sounded awsome. I've thought for awhile about getting one and doing a GT350 or Eleanor build up, but there is something beautiful about a clean and orginal looking Stang, they wanted 25K for it and I know I can find an even nicer one for less if I keep searching. We also almost bought a replica GT350 in April done up like the Hertz-Rent-A-Racer cars.

Funny though, when we started it up (and it wasn't really loud or anything, just a nice, deep mellow tone), people that were walking on the sidewalk and near the gas station came over to look at it also.

Anyways it was parked next to a nice silver SRT-10, which suprisingly being a Viper, nobody payed attention to it even though it was right next to the Mustang, they were parked facing each other too. So I checked out the SRT to, and I can't wait for a comp coup street version to come out. The guy got the key also, started it up and it had a nice rumble compared stock vs stock to a 1st or 2nd gen Viper (mostly b/c of the crossover I'm guessing). By this time the Mustang had already been turned off, and still people kept checking it out and didn't even bother with the Viper even though it was rumbling, only one guy came over to see the engine that was it. I liked the car, especially the seats, but damn it suprised me that all the people around there could care less about it.

Oh yeh, I'm 21 also, and the guys there were really cool about me checking out the SRT, I'm sure if I had walked into a Dodge Dealer and asked to look at a Viper they would laughed at me. This is why I like the private dealerships, their are a ton here like the other one up the street that has everything from an nice yellow ACR to Bentley's and Murcialgos and Ferrari's etc, and the people in those types of places are so laid back and cool, very polite even if your young whether they know you could afford it or not. I could walk in there and they'll treat me like any normal person that would actually be looking to buy. If walked into a specific Ferrari or Lamborghini dealer etc, they'd act like jack asses.

The only reason I wouldn't get one is I'd rather have a coup as I'm not a convertable type person, unless it's a 65' convertable Mustang your talking about :headbang: . http://www.prezauto1.com/ , their silver SRT should be on there if anybody is interested. They do keep the SRT and Mustang in front where cars go up and down the street though, makes for a beautful view lol, and I'm sure attracts a lot of people.

Also - One question as were most likely going to end up with an 02' GTS, is there anyway to fit the SRT seats into a 2nd gen Viper, they were extremely comfortable and very supportive?

Mopar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Looked at a 65\' Mustang, and also an SRT-10 and saw something suprising

Cool thing about classic Stangs is that they are so cheap to restore and find parts for, one of the few things going for them. We only owned one a '69 Shelby GT500 4speed vert., black w/ gold stripes. We sold it after 8 months, the car was sloooooooow in comparison to the Big Block Mopars and Big Block Chevys of the day, no two ways about it. Hell, a Max Wedge 413 or a 396 Camaro would eat it's lunch with less cubic inches. :D

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm not sure, but I don't think the SRT seats will bolt in an older Viper. The seats bolt to the floor. It's a pain to get loose change under the SRT seats, it was a breeze on the GTS, which I think were bolted to the sides.

OP
OP
S

Saleen-Explorer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm not sure, but I don't think the SRT seats will bolt in an older Viper. The seats bolt to the floor. It's a pain to get loose change under the SRT seats, it was a breeze on the GTS, which I think were bolted to the sides.
Oh well, thought it might have been an easy swap. I loved the shape of them, pretty much perfect, at least for me.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Pretty sure Gen I/II seats bolt straight to the floor. Not sure if they would be interchangeable though. Sounds like a question for Jon B.

Getting change is a ****** with my RT/10. It collects all year until the fall cleaning.

OP
OP
S

Saleen-Explorer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Pretty sure Gen I/II seats bolt straight to the floor. Not sure if they would be interchangeable though. Sounds like a question for Jon B.

Getting change is a ****** with my RT/10. It collects all year until the fall cleaning.
Jon B. from Parts Rack correct? It wouldn't be something I'd immedietley do, and I have no problem with the GTS seats, but those SRT seats were awsome. If it's going to be too much of pain in the **** I might as well get some nice Sparco's or such.

Those SRT-4 Neon guys gotta be loving those seats lol.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'd bet money that the Neon seats are fairly cheap. The SRT seats are probably $2K each. The SRT frame is exactly the same, so a re-upholestry might be the way to go.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte