Looking for advice on buying a 2000 GTS.

xSaleen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I plan to purchase a 2000 GTS from Huntington Beach Dodge. So far they seem up front and willing to offer a good price. Has anyone had any experience with this dealer, good or bad? The car has about 1 year left on the warranty, and I cannot see any visual defects or anything to indicate that is has been in an accident. The carfax passes ok. It looks like it was registered as a commercial lease vehicle on 7-31-01, title issued first lien reported on 10-01-2002, then sold at an auction listed as a fleet vehicle on 1/29/2003. Any red flags there? Anything else I should look for when inspecting or driving the car? I appreciate any advice that is offered, thanks in advance!

Wild Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am also looking to buy a Viper and the advice I have heard most often is "get a Viper tech to go over the car"; it could well be the best $100.00 you ever spent!

Bill

SneakyPete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lets just assume there is nothing wrong with the car, how many miles on it and how much do they want to sell it to you for.

Cars that sell between $55,000 -$60,000 at the dealer, get bought at the auction between $40,000 and $45,000.

If you are a car guy or know enough people and auction broker will purchase a car for you for usually for only $500 fee. Why pay more if you dont have to, if you are not in a hurry. With the money you save, you can get some great upgrades.

Alternative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Commercial Lease", I hope it wasn't a rental.
I test drove a red RT10 a year ago at HB Dodge, but bought my car from a private owner. Their prices were on the high side of the norm...
I've also heard that the first 200 or so Vipers (year 2000) had a problem with the engine (burning oil).

Viper Tech's in the area:
Dave Jenkins - (949) 248-2440 (San Juan Capistrano)

Dodge Dealers with Viper Techs:
Neighborhood Service - (949) 450-1441 (Irvine area)
Click Dodge - (949) 597-3740 (Irvine area)

glenn hofstetter

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Huntington Beach Dodge is over priced and thy do not really know Vipers. I took a ride with one of their salesmen driving who promptly took a brand new, unwarmed GTS up to the red line. A cop pulled us over and he had to do a dance to get out of the ticket. They also had a Canadian Viper in that was a wreck.

In Orange county try Neighborhood Dodge in Irvine. BUT the best Teck here, maybe anywhere is Dan Cragin in West LA. E-mail me if you want the phone number.