Looks like maybe a Fiat Viper.... or Ferrari Viper

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice. But regardless of who buys the Viper my concern is keeping the big V10, keeping the rawness and fighting off the nannies. Dodge seems to be the only ones with the balls to do that.

Oh, and no ***** paddle shifters!

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OP
OP
T

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is nothing in the article that suggests that Fiat would in any way be involved with the Viper. Furthermore, the article suggests that Fiat's interest in Chrysler may end up being relatively small. We should soon see the details.

Not being involved could be a good thing - it allows Chrysler execs to decide Viper's fate, not Fiat execs.

The article explicitly states Fiat would buy 35% of Chrysler with options to take 55% according to "people familiar with the matter". Then "a second London analyst " said maybe only 5%. C'mon, who do you believe, a London analyst, people familiar with the matter... or CNBC?

If nothing else, one has to applaud how Ferrari has done well since Fiat bought into them.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It sounds like a 35% stake with a possibility of using fiat technology in exchange for a stake in Chrysler ( approx. 5%). So 5% of their 35% may come from tech. If anyone remembers what happened to GM when they got their tech from Fiat. It ended up costing GM BILLIONS of dollars. Quite possibly the worst quality auto anufacturer left in existence, oh wait they're still around because they sucked the blood of GM's capital. They must have figured out a scheme to milk whatevers left out of Chrysler as well.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Official:

Auburn Hills, Mich., Jan 20, 2009 - Fiat S.p.A., Chrysler LLC (Chrysler) and Cerberus Capital Management L.P., the private investment majority owner of Chrysler LLC, announced today they have signed a non-binding term sheet to establish a global strategic alliance.

CajunViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ROME (AP) - Fiat and Chrysler have signed a nonbinding agreement for a strategic alliance that would give the Italian auto empire a 35-percent stake in the troubled U.S. carmaker. The two companies said in a joint statement Tuesday they would share technologies and vehicle platforms. Under the proposed alliance, Fiat would not invest cash in Chrysler but would provide access to its products and platforms.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as I know - Viper is not impacted by this deal. Herb will make sure that Viper remains true and he's coming out of retirement to do so. I see that as a good sign in that the future of Viper will be directly linked to the foundation and core beliefs of the original Grailkeeper.

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Herb will make sure that Viper remains true and he's coming out of retirement to do so. I see that as a good sign in that the future of Viper will be directly linked to the foundation and core beliefs of the original Grailkeeper.

Now THAT sound like good news!

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
None of this appears to have anything to do with Viper, so presumably it does not impact or involve Dodge's previously announced efforts on sale of the Viper line. But one may suppose that Fiat/Ferrari is not a proposed buyer of Viper (why bother if you are going to buy a stake in Chrysler in entirety, and/or presumably it would be included in this announcement).

Tripple-V

Viper Owner
Reaction score
FIAT's part in Chrysler generaly does not make me too much worries. Ferrari didn't do too bad...!

What has shocked me far more is that I read today in a very popular european car magazine (Auto, Motor & Sport....something in the size of the Car&Driver) that it is already decided,...that the days of the Dodge Viper are counted! Yes, they said: "...the desicion is made by Chrysler."...!? Can anyone cofirm this?:dunno:

Or is this just "headline hunting". Bad news sell better! This we all know, but please...not THAT bad..!:nono:

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think that this alliance is so bad for Chrysler.
Mercedes had high tech cars but didn't have experience to work with run down managers.
Contrary Fiat has financially viable products and a LOT OF experience to train old school folks
I would like to see Marchionne and Ralph Gilles work together.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's another article on it: Motor World: Chrysler's long walk on a short dock - Jan. 21, 2009

Interestingly, it notes "In addition, the Fiat linkup presumably eliminates the possibility of Chrysler selling off additional pieces of itself. That would mean taking the Dodge Viper and Chrysler PT Cruiser. Fiat won't want to maintain a partnership with a company that is getting rid of its most profitable assets."

Sounds like speculation on their part though, as the terms of the deal with Fiat could well have (and likely did) included an acknowledgement that certain assets were up for sale.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh John - quit making sense! You really think companies would do due diligence and exclude pending sales / negotiations when forming an alliance? ;-)

Honestly - it's not exactly been a secret that Viper was up for sale - so they would have been excluded in any alliances with FIAT. or not...... Maye they wanted it to stay?

We know that VIPER is profitable - so even if Viper stayed at Dodge / Chrysler - it has VALUE. It's in the plus column!

I don't understand why folks continue to say it's days are numbered????

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as I know - Viper is not impacted by this deal. Herb will make sure that Viper remains true and he's coming out of retirement to do so. I see that as a good sign in that the future of Viper will be directly linked to the foundation and core beliefs of the original Grailkeeper.

hey Janni,
I haven't heard that. :headbang:

Is there a post somewhere he mentioned that? I checked the Grail section..............:confused:

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Janni, good to see you online. Whats the word on Herb??? Coming out of retirement....back to Dodge or just consultant as discussed before??? What do you know.....spill.

06blueviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FIAT's part in Chrysler generaly does not make me too much worries. Ferrari didn't do too bad...!

What has shocked me far more is that I read today in a very popular european car magazine (Auto, Motor & Sport....something in the size of the Car&Driver) that it is already decided,...that the days of the Dodge Viper are counted! Yes, they said: "...the desicion is made by Chrysler."...!? Can anyone cofirm this?:dunno:

Or is this just "headline hunting". Bad news sell better! This we all know, but please...not THAT bad..!:nono:

I didn't see that article, but I did see this...

Automakers to Rid Lineup of Some Car Brands | Press Release
Automakers to Rid Lineup of Some Car Brands
2009-01-22 03:41:58 (GMT) (WiredPRNews.com - Business, News)

Some favorite consumer car models may be canceled out this year.

Wired PR News.com – Carmakers have resorted to significantly decreasing their product lineups in an effort to reduce costs and increase revenue. As reported in the U.S. News & World Report, six well-known vehicle models are expected to be canceled out this year as automakers try to reduce their inventory of cars that are not deemed as practical as others.

The cars included on the cancellation list include the Honda S2000, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Saturn Sky, Hummer H3, Lexus SC, and Dodge Viper. Some of the carmakers have yet to officially announce plans to remove certain brands from their line up or stop selling the vehicles all together. However, companies such as GM, have reportedly included in their applications submitted to the federal government for bailout assistance plans for closing brands that are underperforming. Saturn is one of those brands said to be at risk.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Any idiot that would cancel "favorite consumer cars" obviously would be committing finacial suicide and killing itself off. Many large corporations do that sort of thing to make bucks by getting tax credits.

Ferrari made an offer to Dodge during the Grand Prix race of VOI X. I would hazard a guess that maybe Fiat buying part ownership may give Ferrari some Viper leeway. Not only is the ACR the world's Fastest car, but Tommy Archer got pole position and won the GT race last weekend on Speed. So even with 30% RESTRICTOR plates and extra weight, Viper can still kill off every other car on the planet. Go figure? All I can think is that without restrictor plates what car could keep up to the heaviest race car on the track? NONE. I watched a Woodhouse Viper get hit and spun out twice. Shouldn't heavier car being the one causing the other cars to spin out?

Ted

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speculation of someone else's speculation. The lazy press just throws a *** of pasta on the wall and whatever sticks, they declare themselves a genius. :rolleyes:

I didn't see that article, but I did see this...

Automakers to Rid Lineup of Some Car Brands | Press Release
Automakers to Rid Lineup of Some Car Brands
2009-01-22 03:41:58 (GMT) (WiredPRNews.com - Business, News)

Some favorite consumer car models may be canceled out this year.

Wired PR News.com – Carmakers have resorted to significantly decreasing their product lineups in an effort to reduce costs and increase revenue. As reported in the U.S. News & World Report, six well-known vehicle models are expected to be canceled out this year as automakers try to reduce their inventory of cars that are not deemed as practical as others.

The cars included on the cancellation list include the Honda S2000, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Saturn Sky, Hummer H3, Lexus SC, and Dodge Viper. Some of the carmakers have yet to officially announce plans to remove certain brands from their line up or stop selling the vehicles all together. However, companies such as GM, have reportedly included in their applications submitted to the federal government for bailout assistance plans for closing brands that are underperforming. Saturn is one of those brands said to be at risk.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang