lost driver side sill bolt any suggestions for size 02 GTS

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had my car out all day yesterday, after i washed it and put back on the lift i gave it a quick check over (that how i found a 3" screw three weeks ago stuck in the rear passenger tire right into the inside wall ouch, had to get a new tire asap)...so i noticed that the driver side sill bolt second from rear jack point is missing and the sill is sagging somewhat (has thermal insulation packed). any suggestions for size that i can probably get from hardware store? I realize its probably a really stupid question so please do not "rip me a new ass...le" for asking. Dennis:D

WDW MKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your best bet is to convert to machine screws through the installation of RivNuts. See the how-to section for details. I have a bunch of the stock screws in the garage that you're welcome to, but your hole is likely stripped and you'll need a slightly larger screw if sticking with the same type. You can pull on of the others and head to the hardware store for size comparison.

Given that you've already lost a tire, I highly recommend the machine screw conversion.

Bugman Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you don't want to go that route, or if you hole isn't stripped out, a #10 screw is the right size. That's what I'm using since mine were missing when I got my car. I also put a dab of blue locktite on them to help keep them secure. If/when I strip any out, I'll convert to machine screws.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used red loctite on the stock screws for years, but pulling the side sills off one too many times finally forced the change over to rivnuts. I think I have detailed pics in a post I did about it. The only downside to rivnuts is that the overhanging rivnut gets hung up on the side sill thermal insulation when reinstalling the sidesills.

OP
OP
denniskgb

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you don't want to go that route, or if you hole isn't stripped out, a #10 screw is the right size. That's what I'm using since mine were missing when I got my car. I also put a dab of blue locktite on them to help keep them secure. If/when I strip any out, I'll convert to machine screws.

Thank you Jeff I will try that first.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find a dab of silicone does as good a job given that the screws aren't under any real stress. Had one let loose early on and my rear tire picked it up. Expensive screw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi