LOST Power Steering Cap

LVB4UDI

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.
Somehow i lost my power Steering Reservoir Cap on my 95. Does anyone know where i can find only the cap for sale? Any help with this would be great, i have searched high and low and found nothing.
Thx all
JD :bonker:

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The cap may cross with a JEEP cap. You need to get Craig's (HIPO Engineering) PS cap mod when you get a new one. When I lost mine 6 years ago, I found the gas cap from an old Artic Cat snowmobile fit perfect till the new one came in. I paid the Viper tax for mine --$27 American back then. Someone told me later a JEEP cap would cross with it. Maybe the Wizard can verify such things?

Steve

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lucky your car didn't catch fire! Several vipers have burnt down due to that same thing. Everyone please go snug your PS caps down!

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lucky your car didn't catch fire! Several vipers have birnt down due to that same thing. Everyone please go snug your PS caps down!

After my cap came off, and until I bought the mod for it a couple years later, I checked / tightened that thing every time the hood was up. When I wanted to check the fluid....It took a pair of 440s to get the cap off. It was gute and tight.

Steve

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS fluid gets on the exhaust manifolds can = fire. I know of 3 vipers that completely burned down this way.

Maybe a dumb question but why would that cause the car to catch on fire? Is the PS fluid flammable?

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Included the HiPo link because he needs the cap too...

I dont think the cap is included in the Hipo kit either. From the website:

Kit includes:

· Steel .028 tubing plated in nickel or chrome
· Viton rubber seal fitting compatible with power steering fluid
· Stainless steel hose clamps

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The cap is not included. Try to cross it with a JEEP cap as $27 bucks for a $5 dollar cap is big time Viper tax!

Steve

harley56

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are going to laugh......
Go buy a big bottle of Rolaids, take a few and put the cap on the power steering reservoir. Saw it yesterday and the bright blue cap was a perfect fit and has been working fine. Not much for the long term, but....

OP
OP
L

LVB4UDI

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Holy Cow, i just drove the car today....thats not good...i didnt even think about the fluid leaking onto the exhaust. Man, i have to get a cap and the safety thing. You guys are awesome!!...this site is awesome.
I just got the car 1 month ago and to here that it could of caught fire...WOW!..that would totally stink. I have never had so much fun driving a car before....and the weather stinks here in MD. When I can take the top off i think it will be a totally different car.
CHAD, if you have an extra cap lying around, i will defintly take it! Just let me know what you want for it.

Do the caps really just fall off??? WHY??? - im guessing vibration...it seems weird that they have this problem.

STEVE - What kind of JEEP cap? Thx -

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry JD, no luck on finding the cap :( But give Tator a call tomorrow and see if it crosses to something non Viper-taxed. And yes, DEFINITLY get the p/s cap kit from HiPo. My cap was always tight when I checked it but I still ordered that kit as soon as I read about all the fires due to p/s caps coming loose/falling off. It only takes once for a cap to get loose and its bye bye Viper :eek:

TBarrow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have an SRT-10 and had heard of this problem on the RT-10's. My question is since have not thought to look at them side by side when given the chance is anything needed on the SRT? I did have some P/S fluid blow out through the hood vents and a lite spray on the drivers windshield. I am a new owner and just trying to better understand the Viper and how it has evolved. This is an awesome car and one that I am happy to add to the collection.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The cap from a 1988 Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0L engine will fit. I just tried it.

Good job Bill! I knew a JEEP cap figured in there somehow. Would it be a stretch to say that all 4.0 JEEP 6 cylinder caps would work?

Steve

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just did a search on Advance Auto parts website. It says this part will fit on the following vehicles:
1987 - 1990 CHEROKEE
1987 J10
1987 - 1990 COMANCHE
1987 - 1990 WAGONEER

NAPA has it for cheaper, and the image is different. NAPA Image below.

Item#: BK 7031473
Price: $10.69

Image snagged from NAPAs website...looks awfully familiar doesn't it? :2tu:

You must be registered for see images

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
here's the mopar part

cap.jpg

I've brought spares of the engine parts which has printed lettering on from the Wizard like the washer bottle cap, the cover for the positive terminal, etc. I figure these cheap parts wont be around for ever and since the lettering fades its away of keeping the engine bay looking good, ive already swapped them once

I've the hippo part too, it works great and looks pretty neat.

Its amazing there not more info out there from Dodge about this problem, over the years we've heard about a lot of fires on the various forums. We've had a couple of cars with smoke pouring out of the hood over here as well, but luckily caught before they turned into fires

OP
OP
L

LVB4UDI

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You guys are all a great help.
Thx a lot for all the help....im off to NAPA's to get that sucker so i can drive her this weekend. Its suppose to be in the 50's (that like spring when you deal with the 20's for 2 months now..LOL)...i may take the top off as well!!!!! LOL
Cheers
JD :headbang:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte