Low Mileage 94 - A few questions....

RonC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I finally talked the wife into letting me get one.....

I just bought a 94 RT/10 with 2500 miles on it. The guy how originally bought it new got sick soon after purchase. For the most part it was parked in a garage. I have checked the validity of the mileage, it is real. I am taking delivery on Wed. and have a few concerns.
1) I have to drive it about 170 miles to my home. I have no idea if the oil has been changed. Do you think it is wise to drive it home or should drive it the 50 miles to the nearest Dodge dealer in Phoenix and have the oil changed and checked out? Any thoughts?

Any other concerns I should have? This thing has for the most part been sitting since 96/97. Just about 200 miles in the last two months. I would hate to screw it up!

Thanks for any advice!

Ron

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't take a chance either change the oil or do one of those oil kit analysis. You can change the oil on the spot. It is not that difficult. Bring a small hydraulic floor jack, one floor stand and ten quarts of 10W30 mobile one. You can even drain into a couple of heavy duty garbage bags if you don't have a container.

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the oil level is full drive it home. If not, top it off. First of all it has synthetic oil that is superior to any other oils as far as longevity. I am sure it was changed over the course of six years. If not, it is still okay to run it home. Second, we are talking about a 2 1/2 hour trip...don't sweat it. When you get home, then change it...and forget that oil analysis that was mentioned. It is a brand new car for God's sake! You'll be fine...Frank

Roland L-Ocala FL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Ron,
I saw your post earlier and did not think of this till now. We have a '94 and you have to remember one thing, the '94's did not use Mobil 1 or a synthetic oil, it was not required by Dodge at that time. Synthetic oil (Mobil 1) only came along in 95 or 96. I would check to see if the owner switched to Mobil 1 at anytime during his care and maintenance of the car. If he did not, I would make an appointment at a local quick lube to change it before you take the trip home. It will be worth the time and money I think, but see what some of the others say on this too. I just would be a little suspect as to regular oil still being in good shape. If the previous owner went over to synthetic, then stay with synthetic. Hopefully, a Viper tech will see your post before tomorrow and reply. Maybe Jon B can reply to this one too. You might want to send him an e-mail regarding this question.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi.
Engine oil has a pretty long shelf life. It may darken, even without use, but it will still have the detergents, dispersants, and anti-wear performance. Anti-oxidants do deteriorate if the oil is darkening - a sign that oxidation is winning the time battle. Even so, since the oil hasn't been loaded with combustion byproducts or wear materials, there is enough cleanliness protection to easily go for the drive home. In fact, warm oil will help dissolve even more of the "Stuff" that may have settled or formed, and the engine will be cleaner after draining the warm oil than it would after draining cold oil. Obviously, change the filter, too.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Congrats on your entry into Viperdom, and the cooperative spouse! Welcome.

Tom is F+LGoR for a reason. Believe his (and some of FRANKs) advise. Drive it home and don't Fret: assuming the dipstick shows full of clean-looking oil. {FLGoR = "Fuel + Lube Guru of the Realm"...kinda like a knighthhood.)

Plan ahead: Buy 10 qts of Mobil 1 10-30, (0-30 if COLD climate) and a Mobil One or NAPA Gold Filter. Dodge Dealers/quick-lube unlikely to have the latter.

Make an appointment somewhere you trust, and get the oil changed the first week of ownership, (unless dark unchanged oil.)

FRANK: Mobil One did not become factory fill til 1996.5 (The Year Matters!)

Frankly, I would be 75% concerned about the COOLANT LEVEL and a technique called "Burping". E-me for a chat or see the archives/tech tips.

Then, worry more on your 170 mile drive home about COLD TIRES, heavy foot, and the desire to press too hard. Over 50 Vipers have been wrecked on the way home from purchase. Trust Me: Torque Bites. Your XGT-Z rubber is 7.5 years old. Treacherous when wet.

Good Luck. Be careful, Join VCA. (Want parts or "stuff" ?)

JonB PartsRack

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Regardless of what kind of oil it has in the crankcase, drive the car home. Chaneg the oil after it arrives in your garage. Please don't come down with "Viper paranoia" from now...for God's sake you don't even have the car in your possession yet!

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon B.

i think that i might have you on this one. "mobil 1 did not become factory fill until 1996.5" I have pictures of my old
lime green 1995 builit in april of the same year with mobil 1 stickers in the engine compartment..yes the year matters but i'm sure that mobil 1 was the oil of choice in 95, unless a tech decided to put a sticker on the car for no apparent reason.

frank

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frank,

Your signature is halirious! Thanks for the laugh... Now if I could just show the Vette guys your sign.. They'd really be jealous!

You need to put
"Future Mods" on there!!!

You must be registered for see images
)

Gerald