Low Pressure Tire Light, What does it effect?

orlandov10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did a search and read up on my low pressure tire light, after reading Kai's post it looks like I have to buy 4 new sensors, dismount and remount my tires to have the sensors installed, then take it to the dealer do they scan hook up a DRBIII scan tool and synconize the system with the new sensors... this to me is a big PITA, I can live with the light, I have no chime just a lo tire indicator idiot light. I've read this light will cause the car to go into a limp mode and pull power? Is this correct? I've also read it will only cause the radio to emit a lower volume... which is it? Anyone know?

Thanks for the help

Adam G

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It starts with a light, then the chime. With chime the radio does not work. At least that is my experience.

No engine control changes - That is a Z06 issue.

I thought that the system woul self learn for new sensors/wheels as well.

OP
OP
O

orlandov10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought the car with the HRE's on there, the HRE wheels have been on the car for over two years now so if there is no chime maybe someone bypassed it? What does it effect? I'm happy to hear there are no engine changes, what about radio? Am I sacrificing radio quality?

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe that as long as there is a light on, the radio will be reduced in volume. I don't have my shop manual with me, but I'm almost positive that it said that whenever an alert goes off, there is a single chime, and the radio volume is reduced (I guess so that you can hear the chime.)

I don't believe that the car goes into limp mode for a low pressure light.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My tire sensor is on since I installed HRE's as I am trying to find some time to have them reprogrammed. There is a single chime about 10 seconds after hitting the ignition but it has no affect on the radio.

Don

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It starts with a light, then the chime. With chime the radio does not work. At least that is my experience.

No engine control changes - That is a Z06 issue.

I thought that the system woul self learn for new sensors/wheels as well.

I had a flat tire in my rear left. To clarify, when the chime goes off, it will lower the volume on your radio so that you hear the chime. You can turn it back up, but it will lower it every time you start the vehicle.

Even after I had the tire replaced, it took a few miles before the car realized that the tire was in fact replaced. Just for grins, I did the turn key on/off 3 or so times and that may have been what reset it, but perhaps it was just the car making up it's mind that Oh yeah, the tire pressure is back to normal. I can stop bugging this guy...

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just love hi-tech. A lot more convenient than simply manually checking tire pressure every month or two.

I can't wait until we get TC and cruise.

Yes, I'm being sarcastic.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I really dont see what the big deal is?

The only reason people have problems is because they are MISINFORMED. Yeah, if you had a problem with mounting/dismounting tires to activate new sensors- BLAME THE GUY WHO SOLD YOU THE RIMS AND DIDNT TELL YOU THAT THE TIRE PRESSURE SENSORS COULDNT BE ACTIVATED WHEN NOT MOUNTED IN THEIR ORIGINAL POSITIONS! (LIKE HRE's)

Its VERY simple. Take your car with the new sensors to the dealer, program the NEW sensors while they are in your hands (make sure you mark which one is programmed for which corner) then drive over and have them mounted on your new rims and tires...the FIRST time. The only chime you will have to listen to will be the time it takes to get over and have the new rims and tires mounted and balanced, and thats because the new sensors are reading Zero PSI as they are not in a tire. (it will no longer recognize the sensors still in your old wheels)

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its VERY simple. Take your car with the new sensors to the dealer, when you mean new sensors, do you mean that when I buy new tire and rims, do I have to buy new sensors, or can I just take the old sendors out of my old tires and rims. That way I dont have to go to the dealer to have them programmed.

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
is there a way to buypass the tire sensors all together, Like a computer reprogram to ignore the tire sensors

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Its VERY simple. Take your car with the new sensors to the dealer, when you mean new sensors, do you mean that when I buy new tire and rims, do I have to buy new sensors, or can I just take the old sendors out of my old tires and rims. That way I dont have to go to the dealer to have them programmed.

You dont HAVE to buy new sensors, but they do have a certain battery life. it would be very advisable to change them out.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Daneil what if you purchased the rime and tires used? What then?

In that case, you have no choice- if they came with tires mounted that is. Realistically, I would dismount them anyway to check for damage and to make sure they had no plugs, little nails, etc stuck in them.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
is there a way to buypass the tire sensors all together, Like a computer reprogram to ignore the tire sensors

While I am sure it could be possible with the right equipment, I have not heard of this being done yet. The instrument cluster looks for each of the controllers on the bus, and if it doesnt see one, it will cause lights to illuminate. you cant just unplug the controller, you would either have to fool it with a signal generator that "pretends" to be the sensors, make the cluster stop looking for the TPS controller, or last and easiest, design an enclosure just big enough to fit the sensors which can be pressurized to 30 PSI- keep it in the trunk.

Personally, I like the idea of having an advance warning. with profiles so low, especially on + sizes wheels, by the time you could "feel" a fast leak, you would already have damage to that tire. If caught early, you would have time to save the tire...or yourself.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Daniel I am positive the tires and wheel are in fantastic shape as they only had 1000 miles on them and have full rubber and are like new.

Is there a way to calibrate the sensors with the tires mounted? I had Chuck try with the the diagnostic module the dealers use, but the car would not recognize or reset the sensors. We used a really strong magnet but that would not work either.

The only way to reset them it to remove the tires? If so, It doesnt bother me that much.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If they are OEM wheels, you should not have to dismount them. If they are HRE's, the tire pressure sensors could be damn near anywhere inside them, hence your problem trying to get the sensors to kick out a signal for the TPS module to recognise.

OP
OP
O

orlandov10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
(it will no longer recognize the sensors still in your old wheels)

From what I read this is innacurate, the module that moniters the tire pressure sensors can handle up to 8 sensors or two sets of wheels, per Kai's posts that I've read.

Also it should be easy to fool the ECU, in the Supra community we have many more techs that contribute, for example when we remove the EGR system it throws a check engine light and kicks out a code, we simply stick a .20 resistor in the plug tp the egr and the check engine light goes away, most sensors are only looking for a 0-5 volt reference, you just have to find the correct size resistor. Ssme goes for when we eliminate the sir flow meters on those cars.

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What happens if you change your wheels and throw away all the tire pressure sensors?

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well yes but the low tyre receiver is behind the dash and a PITA to get to.

Think yourself luck in the UK I can't even get them reset as there is not one sensor reset magnet tool in the UK.

Dan, I have changed the sensor but the problem still exists, we tried to rest the wheel with the DRB and a stick magnet but five minutes later the low tyre came up again....anyone got any ideas

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
(it will no longer recognize the sensors still in your old wheels)

From what I read this is innacurate, the module that moniters the tire pressure sensors can handle up to 8 sensors or two sets of wheels, per Kai's posts that I've read.

Also it should be easy to fool the ECU, in the Supra community we have many more techs that contribute, for example when we remove the EGR system it throws a check engine light and kicks out a code, we simply stick a .20 resistor in the plug tp the egr and the check engine light goes away, most sensors are only looking for a 0-5 volt reference, you just have to find the correct size resistor. Same goes for when we eliminate the sir flow meters on those cars.

Yes and no. I have been under the impression that only 4 were allowed, as it "appears" to be indicated that way by the manual. I have never looked at the DRB screen. However, if you planned on selling the original wheels like some people would, you would have taken those 4 codes out of the system, and would still probably get to listen to the chime.

However, your second comment is a little bit towards wishful thinking in this case. The SRT TPM and all other controllers do not communicate with an analog signal. They are all on a digital Bus, and that cannot be fooled by any simple means like a resistor.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Well yes but the low tyre receiver is behind the dash and a PITA to get to.

Think yourself luck in the UK I can't even get them reset as there is not one sensor reset magnet tool in the UK.

Dan, I have changed the sensor but the problem still exists, we tried to rest the wheel with the DRB and a stick magnet but five minutes later the low tyre came up again....anyone got any ideas

the DRB should immediately tell you if the new sensor was accepted successfully- it should even tell you the new tire pressure. If you have problems, my immediate suspiction was that someone didnt pay close enough attention to the DRB screen to realise the new sensor hadnt been set, and a magnet was used that mas not strong enough to trigger a transmission.

OP
OP
O

orlandov10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes and no. I have been under the impression that only 4 were allowed, as it "appears" to be indicated that way by the manual. I have never looked at the DRB screen. However, if you planned on selling the original wheels like some people would, you would have taken those 4 codes out of the system, and would still probably get to listen to the chime.

As per Kai's post, and he's been through allot with his tire pressure warning light. He already confirmed his system works with 8 wheels as the DRB allows for 8 seperate signals, however he had 10 wheels so he would still get the code with two of them.

However, your second comment is a little bit towards wishful thinking in this case. The SRT TPM and all other controllers do not communicate with an analog signal. They are all on a digital Bus, and that cannot be fooled by any simple means like a resistor.

ok, point taken... thats too bad.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had no problems with 8 wheels. My computer seemed able to store the codes for 8 wheels.

My problems started when I went to 10.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang