LPE 540cid Viper

shawalka

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone have the Lingenfelter 540cid Viper Package? Does it really make 725 flywheel HP? I heard stories of the TNT King Snake falling short of its 777hp mark. What kind of 1/4 mile times can be run with the LPE car? Thanks.

THEMASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i know one guy on here has that package, i think he made 620RWHP and 680RWTQ if i remember correctly.

LPEs kit "540" made 60 RWHP more then HMSs "VENOM 650" kit for the same amount of money "36K-37K"

in the magazines, he hit the 1/4 mile in 11 flat on street tires

TurboSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen stockers run 11.7's on street tires,so for 37 thousand bucks I can shave off 7 tenths,thats 5200 a tenth,I'll pass.

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys -

The current 650R is puting out between 560-600 at the tires. But it is only a top end package. The strokers get more to the tires.. that it now the 700R. It is comparable to the LPE product. The LPE car was as fast on street tires as the 650 was on slicks. Also, I would check with HMS on the price for the 650.

Regards,

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TurboSnake:
I've seen stockers run 11.7's on street tires,so for 37 thousand bucks I can shave off 7 tenths,thats 5200 a tenth,I'll pass.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You obviously know nothing about drag racing.

Anything below about 12.5 on street tires, traction becomes a major problem. MPH is where the power shows, not ET. I saw a guy run 11.6 the other day with a 115MPH time... so by that rationale, you would say his car is faster then a GTS that's running 12.5's at 122MPH?

An 11.0 is an AMAZING time on street tires. I bet his MPH was in the high 130's.. and I also bet he was spinning the tires halfway down the track.

I'll tell you what TurboSnake... bring me a stock performance car, and I will show you how to make it .4 seconds faster in the 1/4 - and I will only charge you $2000 for it, Ok? Of course, I'll just show you how to shift faster, and throw some drag radials on it, but by your rationale, the car has become "faster".

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys,

You are right! I believe the LPE car did get a higher trap speed than the 650R. I was refering to the Time to Speed. My bad for not making that clear.

Regards,

OP
OP
S

shawalka

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where is this road test of the LPE car. I guess I missed it in the magazines...If someone knows if it posted somewhere online, or knows the magazine and issue I'd like to know. I would really like to see this test. Thanks.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wayne,

You are 100% correct... Jamie's car puts out a LOT of power, and he knows how to use it to get a good time.

Martin,

I didn't mean to infer you were mistaken, I know you of all people can appreciate how much faster your car is than a stock Viper, even if it doesn't put up THAT much better times on stock tires.
You must be registered for see images

Albert,

I'm not sure who you asked at LPE or what you asked for, but in general they don't have "brochures" for their stuff. If you call, they will talk your ear off and give you all kinds of options for your car. They probably have the most consistent and best customer service out there, equalled only by folks like Levin, Sean Roe, and others who are respected here. LPE is not a small operation, or some guy operating out of his basement - they have a staff of people, so I'm sure they can get you whatever info you need if you're a prospective customer - try calling them again. They have been around for a LONG time, and they're not some startup, fly by night or hack-shop, they have a stellar reputation, and it's for a reason. Give 'em a chance.

Folks,

Lingenfelter may charge a fair amount for his work, but I've dealt with him before and I know he is a first class guy. He doesn't put out junk - you would be hard pressed to find anyone who has purchased his products and has something bad to say about them. One of my friends still has a 383 Vette - he bought the motor from John Lingenfelter a long time ago. The car has over FIVE THOUSAND 1/4 passes.... and a lot of them were using nitrous. The car still runs perfectly. It's broken just about everything, EXCEPT the engine. And it's not babied.. it does wheels up launches, and shifts at redline just about all the time.

TurboSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Brunton:
You obviously know nothing about drag racing.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
BTW there was no mention of MPH in the earlier post,I'm quite sure everyone here knows MPH is a indicator of HP,next time try getting your point across with a little tact.

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by TurboSnake on June 09, 2001 at 21:10</font>

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe I am a little predujice, but how do you beat that 10 second emissions legal performance of the Heffener package?
At bargain at almost any price but at $12,500 a true deal.
Have any of you seen a street viper run 10's on a regular radial or even slicks for that matter? In good air with slicks my car runs 10.4's 10.5's at about 135 and thats with the stock exhaust.
Maybe I am a little predjudice or maybe I'm more realistic.

Reaction score
Mark, i want to say the guys name was Chris. Not really sure it was about 6 months ago. I wanted info on some parts, specs and prices. I was thinking at the time about building up another car and wanted some info on some of their packages. They took my address and said it was on the way, but nothing. Tried to call back several times but didnt work out. It seems like most of these tuners think they have the only game in town. I know several people who have had similar experiences and I have tried to guide new viper owners in the right direction with their modifications. I just thought it was odd that they wouldnt give me more info on thier stuff. I know some of the other tuners get money from you before they stop dealing with you and returning phone calls.

VEETENN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sports Car International Aug/Sept 2000

1998 Lingenfelter Viper GTS:
510CID 580hp @ 5800rpm, 580lbs.ft.@4700rpm

Stock Michelin tires; 0-60 3.9sec. 1/4 11.4sec 130.8mph
M/T street slicks; 0-60 2.9sec. 1/4 10.5sec 133.5mph
(Catalytic converters and mufflers in place)

CAR and Driver January 2001

Lingenfelter Viper GTS:
542CID 725hp @ 5500rpm, 740lbs.ft.@4800rpm
Michelin Pilot Sport tires; 0-60 3.3sec. 1/4 11.0sec 134mph

TNT's King Snake; 0-60 3.6sec 1/4 11.4sec. 131mph

Hennessey Venom 650R; 0-60 3.4sec. 1/4 11.4sec. 129mph

Hennessey ran without catalysts and with grippy Hoosier DOT-legal racing rubber.

Both the TNT and Lingenfelter cars ran cats.

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One disadvantage to Lingenfelter -- they refuse to do work on California-registered cars
You must be registered for see images
They're the only tuner I know of with this policy.

Luetic

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still cannot understand why so many people want to make a drag car out of a road course car. You can buy a 9 sec. engine for 15k and put it in anything you want. Why spend 30k to try to change an 80k car?

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Luetic,

Your point is the most sensible of all, what you forget is that we can't take anything with us when we depart this planet...so we do these crazy things because (like the dog that licks his own balls) WE CAN!!

Jamie,

I believe that my viper with only 2 grand in mods was the first in the tens on street tires(stock Michelin Pilots)over 2 years ago, and there is a video clip of it on my website for anyone to see.

When I look for performance upgrades for any of my toys, I do a simple math formula.....dollars spent divided by horsepower gained = performance per dollar.

Using this simple formula lets take a (biased..heheehee)look at a few mods.....then you folks do the math on LPE and others.

Viper Exhaust $ 3395 BTR a 50 rwhp gain
Viper Nitrous $ 1749 BTR a 170 rwhp gain
TOTAL $ 5144 total rwhp gain of 230 RWHP

$5144 divided by 230 RWHP = $ 22.36 per horsepower gained

Anyways, just a different twist on the same ole conversation.

Take care,

Tom
Http://btrviper.com

TurboSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Brunton:

A friend of mine just got a LPE Twin Turbo Vette... it makes 620hp at the WHEELS. At the track, he's running 11.4's,
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So how much did it cost your friend to acheive 620 rwhp with the LPE twin turbo,which is a Incon Systems kit BTW?
I would say between 20-30,000 bucks,my Cobra was the prototype for Incon Systems when they were located in Berea,Ohio,I paid 3 grand and drove home,my car has made 533 rwhp and that was with the stock block 5 liter engine on pump gas,when I pick up my RT/10 I'm going straight to Welch for some affordable HP!

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by TurboSnake on June 10, 2001 at 23:49</font>

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TurboSnake,

I'm not trying to be rude or condescending, but I have a lot of experience with Lingenfelter and their products, and they are absolutely top notch.

For you to criticize Lingenfelter because it costs $5000+ per tenth shows that you do not understand drag racing. Regardless of whether MPH was given or not, the point is that high power cars generally don't show their true colors by ET alone - ESPECIALLY on street tires. With all due respect, to say what you did just makes it clear that you do not know what you are talking about in the slightest. In my mind, what lacks tact is to criticize someone or their product when you are totally wrong with your comments.

A friend of mine just got a LPE Twin Turbo Vette... it makes 620hp at the WHEELS. At the track, he's running 11.4's, and has run 11.7's in my car. So I guess he paid all that money to just pick up 3 tenths? Throw slicks on both of our cars, and he runs in the low low 10's at 136mph, put slicks on mine and I'd be lucky to hit 11.3-11.4 and my MPH would not change from 120.

If MPH was not given, then I feel you shouldn't have made your comments, rather than making comments that are completely wrong.

As always, just my 0.02

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala