M-5 over SRT-10 ?

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm confused, why some people complain about the "plain" or "understated" styling of the SRT-10 and then praise the M-5?

I think the M-5 is a nice Sports Sedan with 400 hp, but compared to the SRT-10 Convertible 500/500/500 for around the same money -there is no comparison.

I know the M-5 is more refined and has fantastic engineering, but I wouldn't buy one. I'm not the biggest fan of the SRT-10 styling - I would prefer the coupe, but I have an SRT-10 ordered anyway.

I have a Z06, which I like a lot - I wouldn't have bought the FRC style in the previous model as the performance wasn't there.
I would have prefered the Z06 package in a convertible, but it wasn't availible that way.

I'll take the SRT-10 because of the performance and I'll be patiently waiting for the Coupe version if/when DC decides to build it!

Just my .02 worth, thanks for reading

2Charmed

OP
OP

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shey,

I'm not putting down the M-5 at all, just not my cup of beer.
I owned an M-3 which I liked a lot and ordered an 01 M-3 which I canceled once I saw one and I bought the Z06 instead.

I just don't understand why people bag on the SRT-10 and then the some of the same people praise the M-5 which is so understated and stealthy.

I know they don't compare, and again I realy like the retro styling of the current Viper and the GT-40 ( I'm not sold on the GT-40 yet, I'm waiting to see how it turnes out)

I won't be getting rid of my current Viper because the new one is so diferant and I like the current style so much.

Regards,

2Charmed

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well,

Let's put in another way:

* The M5 is 'one' of the best looking sedans, at any price.

* The Gen II RT10/GTS is 'one' of the best looking exotic sports cars, at any price.

* The Gen III SRT10 is an average to above average looking sports car, with incredible performance. This is why many of us are not thrilled. Were used to having one of the 'best' looking exotic sports cars, not just one in the crowd...

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Two different cars. M5 arguably best high performance sedan ever made. Srt as other Vipers a sports car. I've got an M5 and the GTS. Love 'em both. By the way, M5 is for sale as of today, just put in Washington Post online for Saturday posting 1 hour ago, dealer notified me new M is on the way. Car for sale is Carbon Black, which is an extremely deep blue, that appears black except under certain lights, and is only available on M car, black sport interior, wood, M audio sound system, sunshades, brand new tires due to tire recall, 16k miles, immaculate car. If you're from this board I'll sell it for significantly less than I've advertised. Which is $68.9.

SRTRICK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sheyster, you seem to be aware of what is happening with BMW. Have you heard that the M3 will be made available with the 400 HP V8 in the near future to allow race homologation? I might be tempted by one of those, If it were made available, although I would prefer a convertible & doubt they would make that combo.

I am really looking forward to my SRT but it isn't my idea of a daily driver.

FUSCUCLA1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRTRICK.... the M3 is available with the M5 engine but it costs 200-300,000

Lee00blacksilvergts..... How soon did the dealer say it will be available? BMW usually doesnt introduce the M version until 2-4 years into the model year. Besides usually the guy at the dealership doesnt know anything (V8 vipers, 1997 300zx, etc etc). I just want to know if your info is solid because I am thinking about an M5, if the wait for the new one is too long I will opt for something else, but if its a year or so then I will wait. I have heard of a turbo 5 series for 2003, then the new 5 series in 2004, which makes me think a new M5 will be 2006.

Anyone know if they produce the old M version concurrently with the new body non M. I cant remember if old style M3s were made in 1999-2001

SmokinV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would rather have an M5 than a SRT. IMO, the SRT no longer has the looks factor. If you want refinement, then go all the way. Get the leather wrapped stitched dashboard. Get the navigation. Get the built in telephone, alacantra headliner, 18 way adjustable seats. No one will call it a Stratus.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Smoke, all that stuff is standard except for the phone and the leather dash. Ironic in a two car comparison that you a leading standard bearer of the whining "it don't look amzing enough srt faction" would choose what is arguably a stealth sedan over a sports car, and I have heard BMW models referred to as all "sausages in different lengths" in terms of not having exciting styling. I would be interested in hearing what car you would pick the SRT over. How about this Smoke...In an imaginary situation you have won a contest and you have a choice...of sports cars only, would you take the SRT over a Corvette? Over a Jag XK8(not xkr)? Over a Supra? Over a RX8? Over a Porsche 911(non-turbocharged) Over M Coupe? YOU must assume in making these forced choices that this will be your only car, and not in addition to the beloved Gen 2 you have now. Is the SRT sooooo ugly that you would choose ANY sports car in the world over it as your only car? Interesting question, eh?

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fuscucla11..I did'nt mean to mislead you. Current model M5 ends with 2003 year, new 5 series 2004, next model M5 s "anticipated" to be 2005. I am lining up an early 2003 current model. Sorry for the confusion.

FUSCUCLA1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sheyster:
A little off topic but...

You guys who are interested in the M5 might want to wait for the Audi RS6 Quattro. 450 HP twin turbo 4.2L V8, AWD, 5-speed auto/steptronic. It should be here in less than a year and is supposedly an M5 killer. 0-60 is anticipated to be 4.5 or less and any monkey can launch the car hard due to the auto trani and AWD. This car would be truly awesome if they offer it as a 6-speed. Price is expected to be around 65k.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

New motor trend has a little write up..E55, M5, RS6. Its at the end of an article about the Jag type R. All numbers indicate the Audi is the best performer but how is resale/reliability on the Audi? Plus the RS6 isnt asthetically as nice as the E55 and M5. Only Audi experience I have is with the A4 and I must say I love it, would take it over a 3 series anyday.

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SmokinV10:
I would rather have an M5 than a SRT. IMO, the SRT no longer has the looks factor. If you want refinement, then go all the way. Get the leather wrapped stitched dashboard. Get the navigation. Get the built in telephone, alacantra headliner, 18 way adjustable seats. No one will call it a Stratus.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good. Get one. In fact, everyone who hates the SRT so much please go get some other brand of car.

I'll annihilate and embarass your little car when I see you--even if it's a stock GTS or R/T.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Michael, smoke made it personal with the stratus word, go back and read his post and see how much nicer it would have been without the last sentence. It was a nice discussion prior to that, and as you may note he did not respond to my question either. It was a typical driveby troll, drop the stratus word for maximum effect. I believe you will continue to see increasing firebacks from folks who have serious money already committed to these cars who are not willing to suffer trolls endlessly. IT IS ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENT THAN A SUPRA OR VETTE GUY COMING OVER TO RT10/GTS SAYING YOUR CAR IS UGLY, HOW WOULD YOU REACT IF A SOOPRA GUY CAME ON IN A DICUSSION OF BUYING AN M5 VS. A GTS AND SAID "BUY THE M5, RATHER THAN THE GTS, NO ONE WILL CALL IT A SEBRING THEN." One of the things I love about Trey Pullen "King GTS", is even if he's commenting about this very subject and some vette guy comes in and makes a comment negatively, he immediately closes ranks and fires back at the guy. He seems to remember that we are all Viper owners, indeed right now we all own the same car. We all know ENDLESSLY the identities of a VERY SMALL MINORITY of the guys who don't like the looks of the car and frankly we don't care to hear from them anymore, their prior posts have been so inflaming and PERSONAL, by the way, that they have created a bitterness on the board that even the sight of their sigs. reminds others of how insulting and PERSONAL they have been in the past. "What goes around comes around" You, for example don't like the car but have, in my view commented rather intelligently and not stooped to personal attacks and so when you post your sig. does not elicit that abrupt "gotta fire back at this guy, here he goes again response" that I am afraid smokes and 1bad's do.

---------------
"I think that if you are in the passing lane, and not passing, your license should be revoked, and you should be forced to ride the bus until you promise to never delay the rest of us again." .. George Carlin

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Lee00blacksilverGTS on 06-02-2002 at 02:29 PM</font>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi