Malfunction Indicator light ON ????

john2456

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the dash icon shaped like an engine. Manual says problem with emissions or loose gas cap. I checked gas cap and is fine. Has anyone had this problem ??? Car has not been driven for 3-4 weeks,so took it for 20 minute ride and light remains on. John

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need a code reader to check the more specific details of the check engine light. Some shops like Pep Boys will read it for you for free. Or you can buy a cheap code reader at places like Harbor Freight.
Some error codes are very trivial and will clear themselves after a number of starts. Others indicate hardware on the way out (such as oxygen sensors, a common failure). If the light stays on I would definitely get a code reader on there (hooks up under the dash near the steering column).

OP
OP
J

john2456

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great Thread, Thanks for advice. John PS, where can I buy a code reader ?

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Gas cap may be bad. I had the same code on my SRT8 last spring, and my gas cap was fine and seemed tight. Had it pressure checked, and yep, it was bad. You need to get it pressure checked.

OP
OP
J

john2456

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now that I think about it---- The last thing I did 3 weeks ago before I put Viper (2003 with 20,000 miles) in garage was fill tank. Suspect I may not have screwed cap tightly and threw a code. I am ordering OBD II reader and will check code and if just a gas cap I will reset it. If O2 sensor I will get it repaired. Thanks guys for excellent advice. I will keep you posted on what I find. John

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the dash icon shaped like an engine. Manual says problem with emissions or loose gas cap. I checked gas cap and is fine. Has anyone had this problem ??? Car has not been driven for 3-4 weeks,so took it for 20 minute ride and light remains on. John

driving through new mexico it was run out gas or put 90 in it, so i had to. It caused one of the O2 sensors to malfunction. It threw the light and I had it replaced. That is most likely the emissions problem a bad O2 sensor. But, if it's not emissions could be a host of things. Just take it in.

OP
OP
J

john2456

Enthusiast
Reaction score
UPDATE, I plugged in OBD II and code came up PO155 which is O2 sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction Bank2 sensor#1. Does this mean anything to anyone on forum?? I reset MIL engine light and it has remained off. I wonder if some bad gas or misfire caused sensor to fire ???? If sensor has failed or fails in future would this be an expensive fix ?? John

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oxygen sensors are one of the least reliable parts on a car. Why? They're hanging right in the hot exhaust stream, not the friendliest of environments. That hasn't stopped car manufacturers from liberally applying multiple O2 sensors all over the exhaust system (before and after cats on both (dual) exhausts), etc. Most performance cars have at least four O2 sensors, which makes your odds of a failure in the first 6 years or so fairly high. Add to that the fact that the wiring to the sensors is also at a high risk of being damaged.

Keep in mind the failure may only occur while driving and while the ECU runs a particular diagnostic test. It takes a variety of driving (steady state cruise, cold start, etc.) to get all the test run flags set in the car's ECU, which is why a smog test will fail if you clear all the codes and immediately go get it smogged. You need about 30 miles with some highway miles included to get all the diagnostic tests to run, although it can happen sooner if you know the conditions that will initiate a diagnostic test (these run undetected by the driver).

Four-wire heated sensors for my Gen III run $38-110 each in the aftermarket, more from the Dodge dealer. Plus figure about 30 minutes labor to install it.

OP
OP
J

john2456

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sonoman, Thanks for good common sense advice. I found new upstream O2 sensor for about 40$ and have Mopar tech friend who can install after hours for no charge. Yet, I am not going to buy the sensor or install until I get MIL light again as no threat of damage to motor and I agree,that the sensors are very sensitive and have known many who have replaced the sensor with OEM part and 2 days later get the same OBD code(PO155) on a Viper with all original exhaust system. Even the Mopar techs are driven crazy by the sensor codes which "fail" on 2011 Chargers etc... John

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VinhyVegas