Max muffler size in the sills?

Sneaky Pete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In another thread within the SRT section we are talking about how to quiet our Vipers down for use on tracks with stiff noise limits. I have some ideas (see the other thread), but I dont know what will fit w/o taking everything apart and measuring, which I'm sure some of you have already done...

Can anyone tell me what the max size would be for a muffler to fit inside the sills on a gen 2 with side exhaust? Looking for length and width. If I have to I can always use two separate units together to maximize the space available.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its not a one-size fits all in there, the bulge towards the rear of the sill accommodates for a lager exhaust component than the flat front portion that houses the cat.

6" OD will fit behind the bulge in the sills,

4" OD will definitely fit in-place of the cats
I think 5" will fit but i havnt verified

OP
OP
Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its not a one-size fits all in there, the bulge towards the rear of the sill accommodates for a lager exhaust component than the flat front portion that houses the cat.

6" OD will fit behind the bulge in the sills,

4" OD will definitely fit in-place of the cats
I think 5" will fit but i havnt verified
Thanks Dom, that's the info I was looking for. As I suspected, it appears I'll probably have to use two mufflers on each side.

Looking forward to your side exhaust writeup!

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Thanks Dom, that's the info I was looking for. As I suspected, it appears I'll probably have to use two mufflers on each side.

Looking forward to your side exhaust writeup!

That's exactly what I did. Used a bullet muffler in place of the cat running into the mopar/borla muffler and into an H-pipe right before another bullet muffler and finally out to the tips. I love the way the car sounds too....it's a straight through system with a nice DEEP rumble to it. When I get her fired up again I'll make a video.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I suggest buying an engineered system from Corsa. They make 2 sets (street an track) depending on the noise level you want. At VOI X the Corsa tech showed me a cutaway of their "muffler". A straight through pipe with 2 small (3/8" x 3/4") oval slots inside the pipe. The bulge that looks like a glass pack is a honeycomb of resonance chambers that removed the "nasty" harmonics that hurt our ears by sound cancellation technology. Absolutely NO restriction, unlike every actual muffler. They cost a lot, but they are worth the money. I used to build my own chambered mufflers and turbo style, but there is no chance I could build any sound cancellation technology systems, so I won't even try. It's not a muffler, it's a "sound tuner". Call jonB