Michelin PS2 Tires in 18 inch Viper Sizes!!!!!!

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Michelin is finally manufacturing the PS2 in a 335/30/ZR18 size.

I've been wanting PS2's for quite a while now, but didn't want to go up to 20 inch wheels.

These new 18 inch tires should fit nicely on the SSR Comp wheels (which are the lightest wheels I've seen for Vipers) This seems like a perfect combination. Reduced unsprung weight from the SSR's, and extra grip from the PS2's.

I just ordered a full set of PS2's (and a new set of SSR wheels) from Jon B at Parts Rack.

I'm getting 295/30ZR18/XL fronts, and 335/30/ZR18 rears.

Only bad news is that there is no firm delivery date as of yet. But, they are definitely on their way to American shores.

Can't wait.

Specs here:

http://www.michelinman.com/specs/pilot_sport_ps2/2958.html

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yes, they are better performing tires than the regular Pilots. Now if they would only make them in 19's for the rear so we could run them on the street!

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We had dozens of threads on tire options for the SRT-10 and everybody has some ideas.

I’d go with the 345/30 – 18 Sport Cups any day over the PS2’s. My $0.02
http://michelinman.com/overview/pilot_sport_cup/1719.html

If you are going to change the rears to 335/30 – 18, I think the Kumho V700 has much better dry traction than PS2. And if you are after wet traction for some reason, the BFG KDW2 335/30-18 has much better wet traction than PS2.

I don’t think the PS2 excels in any category (dry or wet traction, cornering, etc) but then it does not **** in any category either.

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yes, the Kumho Ecsta V-700 is about the best "sticky" street tire that you can run that also offers some cornering capability. Also, it does well in the wet. I am currently running them on the rear of my beast. I hope they keep making them.

Most stock or mostly stock Vipers will do just fine with the PS2's, better than the stock Pilots. The ride is good and the feedback is excellent for the occasional trip to the track.

I have to disagree with Insomniac on the Cups. I ran them for a year on my SRT. They are very slippery when cold, improve a bit with some heat, get greasy if you push them and they're lousy in the wet. I would not recommend them to anyone.

I haven't run the BFG tire yet but don't really concern myself with wet as the car stays in the garage during wet weather and the regular pilots do pretty well in the wet.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put about 3000 miles on 2 sets of Sport Cups this summer. I also found them slick when cool. First couple accels created massive amounts of spin. Though the spin is very controllable. After that they stick pretty well. Cornering is quite good.

I have had them on the track and did not find them to become greasy at all. Handled hot laps very well.

They also were pretty good on wet roads. I have not tried them in the rain so cannot comment on that.

Overall they are a good tire for higher hp applications. If they ever offer PS2 in the oem size I will pick up a set as an alternative (I use the non run flat Pilots now on road trips).

OP
OP
Kai SRT10

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My interest in the PS2's is that they are likely the highest performing non-competition tire available. Clearly, they are not going to be as good at the track as the Ecstas or the Sport Cups, but for every day driving (and events such as the One Lap of America, which doesn't allow Ecstas or Sport Cups) they seem like a good option.

I will be using the 18 inch PS2's for my daily driving.

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ask Jon B about the Sport Cups and see what he says. If I remember right, they were his second favorite after the Kumhos.

Yes the Sport Cups want some heat in them but they have better traction than the PS2’s or Pirelli’s.

PS2’s are not bad either. [******] puts them on his 1000 HP TT SRT-C.
That aside, why don’t you want to go with the 335/30 – 20’s? Is there a specific reason why you want a shorter tire?

Good Luck.

OP
OP
Kai SRT10

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That aside, why don’t you want to go with the 335/30 – 20’s? Is there a specific reason why you want a shorter tire?

Good Luck.

Weight is the primary reason. The 18 inch SSRs weigh signficantly less than any 20 inch wheel I've seen. That's unsprung weight. Also, I'd just as soon not have the additional height of a 20 inch wheel. I have stock 3.07 gears on my car, and don't need bigger wheels to make the effective gear ratio even smaller.
Additionally, My track tires are 18s (I've used Sport Cups and Kumhos, currently have Kumhos.) So, my suspension and alignment is set up for 18 inch wheels. I'd just as soon have my street and track wheels/tires as close as possible to each other in size to minimize the differences in car set up when I switch between street and track wheels.

And, I like the price of the SSR's. High quality wheels in 20 inch sizes will cost more than twice as much.

OP
OP
Kai SRT10

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you going to mount the 335/30’s on 18x13’s or 18x12.5’s?

I don't know. I've got 13 inch SSR wheels now, and have mounted the Kumho 335/30/18s and the Sport Cup 345/30/18s on them with no issues.

If the 13 inch wheels won't fit the PS2's then I suppose I will need to go down to 12.5 inches.

I'm buying wheels and tires from the same source, and they are mounting and balancing them for me. I guess I will get whichever wheels fit the tires.

JWALK35

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had wear issues with the PS2. On the road course that is. Seems like ya need to run them 5 pounds higher otherwise the edge wears to quickly and then chuncks out ,kinda like thr run-flat . Have you guys had the issue? It seems like i was getting twice the wear out of a set of regular pilots.I do agree the grip is better than the regular pilot. Maybe thats the trade off ,grip for wear.

V10 ICBM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FWIW
If your run cups you a:
1. need absolute proper psi - keep them no higher than 36 hot - they will get greasy (temp is 180-220)
2. use proper alignment specs - Camber - cups min is I think neg 1.5.
I run 3 neg deg front and 2.7 neg rear.
Check your toe, esp rear.

I run this on Porsche, but these reccos are from Michelin for MPSC's.

A buddy of mine ran MPSc on his ACR - no front camber plates - he got terrible inner edge wear (I suspect toe) and they became very greasy - He admitted he had them 35 cold just like his pilots for the track - theres the problem, they likely went at least 44 hot - gotta drop it to 36 hot.

I would try 32 front hot andf 34 hot rear with you alignment checked.

These tires are almosr as good as hoosiers, and they heat cycle well. They are NOT for rain - many many many people have already proven this.

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
FWIW
If your run cups you a:
1. need absolute proper psi - keep them no higher than 36 hot - they will get greasy (temp is 180-220)
2. use proper alignment specs - Camber - cups min is I think neg 1.5.
I run 3 neg deg front and 2.7 neg rear.
Check your toe, esp rear.

I run this on Porsche, but these reccos are from Michelin for MPSC's.

A buddy of mine ran MPSc on his ACR - no front camber plates - he got terrible inner edge wear (I suspect toe) and they became very greasy - He admitted he had them 35 cold just like his pilots for the track - theres the problem, they likely went at least 44 hot - gotta drop it to 36 hot.

I would try 32 front hot andf 34 hot rear with you alignment checked.

These tires are almosr as good as hoosiers, and they heat cycle well. They are NOT for rain - many many many people have already proven this.

Good info V10 ICBM.

OP
OP
Kai SRT10

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update.

Thanks to Jon B at Parts Rack, I now have my new SSR wheels and PS2 tires.

I will post driving impressions when I get a chance to drive my car. (supposedly ready by October 18th.)

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Agreed, good info V10 ICBM.

I struggled with tire pressure and heat with the Cups. I probably had them over inflated for track useage, got tired of messing with them and sold them. Combine overinflation with a 750 rwhp Viper (heavy car) and an agressive driving style and the Cups got greasy fairly quickly.

The Kumhos work much better for me and are less costly too.