Misfire ?? Help Needed

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have seen ignition moduals on gm cars do this but very rare- but i have seen it a handfull of times,its hard to diognos these things on the phone or net sometimes,know anyone that has a modual you can stick on there

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
also try to think if at one time or other you had something apart,like a ground or power supply of some sort,after all the things you have tried,its probably something simple

OP
OP
M

madbrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a mechanic said there might be water or debris in the tank, would that cause more problems when you step on it rather than at low revs?

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a mechanic said there might be water or debris in the tank, would that cause more problems when you step on it rather than at low revs?

i would not be concerned about that,if it had that much water in the tank to run bad,it would pretty much run terrible all the time- but you do need to drive it with a fuel guage hooked up and rule the fuel pressure out,it will help put you in the next direction

twinkie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just outta curiosity how did you check for the vacuum leak. I'm still kinda stuck on a leak... in your original post you have changed out just about every sensor or part that controls fuel, spark and timing.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My car has some bucking issues. 95% at low speed (under 2,000rpm) and it's because of the 708 cam installed in my car. The 708 cam (96-99) idled rough and had a tendency to 'buck' often while attempting to drive easily. I have an aluminium flywheel which makes the budking worse. The 2000 Vipers got a cam change because of this. I drive 'around' the surge/bucking and seldom notice it as I drive in lower gears and with more throttle to try and stay away from the bucking.

You didn't say when this problem started to occur of if the car always had this problem?.

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No codes means NO MISFIRE. I have a '96 ECM installed in my car because that computer does not check misfires. My 01 ecu gives me misfire codes because of the intake runner length of the Roe supercharger system.

Ted

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car has some bucking issues. 95% at low speed (under 2,000rpm) and it's because of the 708 cam installed in my car. The 708 cam (96-99) idled rough and had a tendency to 'buck' often while attempting to drive easily. I have an aluminium flywheel which makes the budking worse. The 2000 Vipers got a cam change because of this. I drive 'around' the surge/bucking and seldom notice it as I drive in lower gears and with more throttle to try and stay away from the bucking.

You didn't say when this problem started to occur of if the car always had this problem?.

Ted

As a point of reference, I have a 97 and I have the same issue that you pointed out, however, when the car was stock it did not buck. My problem came when I installed larger injectors and the VEC. I have eliminated most of it with the SCT tuning software and hopefully I will eliminate the rest of it this spring.

OP
OP
M

madbrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just outta curiosity how did you check for the vacuum leak. I'm still kinda stuck on a leak... in your original post you have changed out just about every sensor or part that controls fuel, spark and timing.

i have checked for audible and visual signs of a leak.
is there an easy way to discover vaccum leaks?

OP
OP
M

madbrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No codes means NO MISFIRE. I have a '96 ECM installed in my car because that computer does not check misfires. My 01 ecu gives me misfire codes because of the intake runner length of the Roe supercharger system.

Ted

i replaced my 99 pcm for a brand new 98 pcm.
do you know if the 98 pcm checks for misfires etc?
thanks!

OP
OP
M

madbrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ted

the car has always had this problem since i owned it but i had it when it was 5 year old with 10,000 miles.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car bucks and stutters only when it's cold. But after it warms up it goes away.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score

A dangerous way is to spray EXPLOSIVE ether at all the vacuum lines and see if the idle changes (works around bottom of intake manifold too). The safer, although not as efficient way is to spray a water/soap mix on all vacuum lines and see if the idle slows (meaning that the water sealed the leak or watch for airbubbles (possible).

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i replaced my 99 pcm for a brand new 98 pcm.
do you know if the 98 pcm checks for misfires etc?
thanks!

Larry Macedo (M2 Motorsports) told me that I have a 96 ECU because it is the only one that doesn't record misfires. All other ECUs throw misfire codes.

Ted:headbang:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A good tuner (like Larry Macedo, Dan Cragin, Sean Roe and others could probably take a good OBD reader and watch the readings while the car was bucking on the dyno and tell you what the problem is (fuel, spark, etc.). Interesting that although fuel has been mentioned as suspect, you didn't write what readings you got from the spark plugs???

Most dyno shops will also have a spark illuminator that connects bewteen the the wire and the spark plug that lights when the plug fires. No spark, no light.

What tuner shops have tried testing your car?

Ted

OP
OP
M

madbrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A good tuner (like Larry Macedo, Dan Cragin, Sean Roe and others could probably take a good OBD reader and watch the readings while the car was bucking on the dyno and tell you what the problem is (fuel, spark, etc.). Interesting that although fuel has been mentioned as suspect, you didn't write what readings you got from the spark plugs???

Most dyno shops will also have a spark illuminator that connects bewteen the the wire and the spark plug that lights when the plug fires. No spark, no light.

What tuner shops have tried testing your car?

Ted

unfortunately i am in the UK and have no knowledge of any tuners with any experience of vipers so i am struggling to get it sorted.
thanks.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
[email protected], is Larry Macedo's email (M2 Motorsports) but it seems like you probably need a reader and someone with the experience to know what the readings mean. Chuck Tator does a lot of UK business so call Tator's Dodge and ask Chuck who you should take your car to over there. Chuck must send them a lot of parts. Another site sponsor that would send parts there and should know UK tuners is JonB at [email protected]

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good one Plum, that's hwo I was trying to think of ...

Or he could join the VCA and/or contact the president of the UK chapter and find out.

twinkie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

take a can of brake clean or parts cleaner and spray along and around the intake manifold where it meets the head(with the engine running). If there is a slight leak, the idle will change. It not uncommon that sometimes the intake gaskets leak without ever hearing a whistle. Also check to make sure that there isn't a pin hole in the rubber 90 degree boot that connect the MAP to the intake manifold. Another place to check is where the two emissions hoses connect to the front of the intake underneath where the throttle bodies sit.

The reason why im stuck on a vacuum is when you say you go WOT (wide open throttle) the problem goes away. Under WOT the MAP is reading -.8hg to -.4hg. At that point the vacuum leak isn't going to matter.

Also you state in your first post ( both cats ( 1 damaged through misfire ) ) The thing that kills the cats is when a car dumps fuel. If your cruising or moderately accelerating that's when a slight vacuum leak can have the most effect.

I'm horrible at explaining things in an efficient and thoroughly fashion, due to I have A.D.D. So if something doesn't make sense please tell me to re-explain :)

Last edited:

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
take a can of brake clean or parts cleaner and spray along and around the intake manifold where it meets the head(with the engine running). If there is a slight leak, the idle will change. It not uncommon that sometimes the intake gaskets leak without ever hearing a whistle. Also check to make sure that there isn't a pin hole in the rubber 90 degree boot that connect the MAP to the intake manifold. Another place to check is where the two emissions hoses connect to the front of the intake underneath where the throttle bodies sit.

The reason why im stuck on a vacuum is when you say you go WOT (wide open throttle) the problem goes away. Under WOT the MAP is reading -.8hg to -.4hg. At that point the vacuum leak isn't going to matter.

Also you state in your first post ( both cats ( 1 damaged through misfire ) ) The thing that kills the cats is when a car dumps fuel. If your cruising or moderately accelerating that's when a slight vacuum leak can have the most effect.

I'm horrible at explaining things in an efficient and thoroughly fashion, due to I have A.D.D. So if something doesn't make sense please tell me to re-explain :)

Another view: if you have a vacuum leak, the IAC will try to correct it by closing. At some point the IAC will close to a point where I believe it will set a soft code. You could also use a code reader to monitor the IAC position.

OP
OP
M

madbrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i just stripped all the visible vacuum pipes off the car, examined and replaced most with new ones in case including the map elbow and other elbows.
small diameter silicone hose worked well as elbow replacements.
i also re torqued the inlet down .
result-- still the same but the car seems more powerful when i give it gas.
if it was only 1 injector, would it make the car buck and miss badly up to 3000 revs?
also would it show a code?
thanks.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a vacume leak nor a map sensor will cause this bucking treatment,your running up the wrong tree.

OP
OP
M

madbrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Brian, So where are you roughly in the UK?

Are you the same Brian I met at Le mans last year? :)

Mark
:uk:

hi Mark, not me, i have never been to Le Mans.
i was living near Birmingham but had to move to west wales due to work

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets