Missouri Viper owners: Need advice on Inspections

0260in3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to buy my first Viper and am concerned about how to protect it during the emissions and safety inspection process. The last time I took my Stealth TT to an emissions testing place it came off the testing machine with the wheels spinning at high RPM's. Should I also be concerned about the front end clearance on the testing machine. In my experience, the workers at these places don't seem to take customers' best interests into account. Has anyone taken their Viper to one of these emission testing centers? I don't really have any alternatives since I need the inspection to get my plates. Also, should I take it to a Dodge (Viper) dealer to get the Safety inspection? I'm not sure who the good Viper Techs are in St. Louis. Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks
Terry

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The whole emissions testing concept is a farce to begin with. I've got a very bad story to tell about the one down in the Chesterfield Valley. You would have thought the kid had it on a dyno test rather than the damn Gateway Clean Air Program emission test. I complained to the manager and then to the B.B.B. I'm never one to complain as I work retail, but they really ticked me off. If the manager there had been nice and apologized for the kids treatment of my car I would have been satisfied. Instead, he acted like they treat all cars this way and went on to say they get much nicer cars like Ferrari's and Lambo's in here. I now go to the one on Manchester for emissions even thought it's twice as far for me to drive.

There are several good Viper techs in the area. The best IMO, especially if you want more than just an oil change, is Joe Donovan at King Dodge. He not only is a tech, but also DRIVES a 10 second Viper himself. Not sure what part of town your in, but I've also used Barry Hawn at Zeiser in St. Peters when I had my '93 and Royal Gate in Ellisville.

Good luck on the car and hope meet you at an event sometime. We have an awesome and active club here in town. Last cruise event we had 17 cars! SWEET!

Rich Detert

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There are alot of horror stories about cars damaged at the Emissions testing stations around St.Louis.

When I had my 94 Viper they didn't even run it on the rollers, they just did the test at idle.

My 97 they did run on the rollers (no problems).

The Gateway Clean Air program is a joke, on a busy day they'll have 30 or more cars backed up at a time idleing waiting 30 mins or more to be tested. Yeah right, that's really cleaning the air up. It's all about money.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960