Mod, or not to mod....that is the questiion?

angleiron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Being a new Viper owner, I have a question regarding the “value” of the car…and that is not necessarily the monetary value that I mean.

I think it is cool that some of you guys are doing the mods and putting out the insane amount of HP and torque, even the addition of a supercharger sounds pretty cool. I was just wondering that with the limited number of the cars (I guess mine is something like 1 of maybe 360 between 2001-2002) what does the modifications of the car take away from its “value” as for being the car that it is in the same way as modifying say a 57’ Belair?

To what degree do certain mods start to degrade the car from its “value”? I intend to keep my car a long time, and I have changed out the cats, exhaust, and the smooth tubes as these made sense to resolve known heat problems, discoloration of rocker panels due to heat, and easier breathing. What is the threshold that one crosses to lose the “originality” of the car beyond being bone stock? I guess when does it lose its "classic" value?

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
May depend on the miles on your car though. I would think the value would increase over the years if it's a stock garage queen. Say like a 1,000 mile 93' with no mods... May have a little more value than a higher mileage 93' with alot of mods. Just my thought. Actually it would depend on the year too.

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know at what point the car loses it's value from modifications BUT in my eyes the more Mods the better IMO. I personally cannot stand to leave anything stock, hence all my mods! It's my car and i don't plan on selling it so i want it the way i like it and thats with MORE HP and TQ!
I'm sure in some people eyes, modifying ANYTHING on the car makes it lose value if your the type that wants 100% stock!
I say do what makes you happy, its your car!

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Value schmalue.........how about the guy that added a TT package to his brand new Ford GT!

I am not conerned what these cars will bring at B-J in 30 / 40 years I'll either be dead or wearing diapers and unable to even know what a Viper is!

Do what YOU want to do to the car and don't look back. The majority of owners do mods that can be removed at anytime any way so it is really not that part is not much of an issue.

Good luck with whatever direction you decide to go!

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am personally not planning to go heavy with engine mods on my RT/10. I need my license too badly for my job and actually prefer mine stock appearing anyway. I am considering getting a second GTS to mod for racing but that is still years away when time and money are more abundant.

As far as worrying about resale value, I don't. Enjoy your Viper in every way you want to while you have it. Sure, keep the OEM parts to switch back if selling but personally, I never plan on selling, just getting a bigger garage.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep the exhaust Stock!? What? :D
Someone got soft in their age! :smirk:

Mods depend on a lot of factors. My Heffner TT was an exception to the rule of "you don't get the money back"

Really depend on what mods, and of course, who's looking when you are selling!

I say MOD like mad, enjoy and worry about it later! :D

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To be honest, I was looking for a modded car when I bought mine. I didn't want to start from scratch with mods...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery