Modifying garage door for Double Park

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got an estimate today and the contractor is quoting BIG numbers to do this.I have a standard 7ft door and a 10ft garage ceiling.He says the lift motor is $1000 plus $500 to modify the door!!.Since the door just needs to clear the same opening, why the special motor??
Rick Ciotti Leesburg VA

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i'm running into the same problem almost. i have 15 ft high ceilings but my contractor installed the grage door tracks wrong. i have been quoted to just move the tracks, new springs of $ 600.00, but when i called another contractor (door company) to get another quote it shot up to $ 2,300.00 for same set up but with motor to raise the door. REASON: they are installing a commercial door opener in a residential garage...

frank

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a pure rip off. I am building a new home and the builder charged my an additional 150.00 to mount the tracks so the door is less than 12 inches from the ceiling. I have a 14-15 foot ceiling. no special motors, no special install. They just installed longer vertical tracks angled so the door clears the wall. I talked with the guy who did the install and he said its very cheap to do. Don't be fooled. All those guys see is "deep pockets"

OP
OP
M

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are great...one of the many features of the VCA.I read a previous post that stated the motor was mounted on the side for additional clearance.Does this require a special motor? Since the door is very light I don't see the need for commercial components. Rick Ciotti

BLS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had my garage door raised to 10 feet and the local contractor only charged me $310.00. He did a beautiful job on the install and replaced all of the track with new ones.

Check around... I called several other contractors before I found this one. Some quoted me as high as $1,000.00 to do the job.

If anyone in Central Florida is interested in having it done. Drop me an email and I will give you his contact info.

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You don't need a special track, opener, or door, and you can do it yourself. You need to buy the track extension through a supply place (look on internet), relocate your opener, build a new section of door on top of the existing door, buy the proper hinges for the door addition, weigh the door with a bathroom scale, buy springs that will BALANCE the door properly, and get to work. Most everything can be bought in Home Depot. Getting a catalog on garage door opener equipment helps you learn what you don't know. Takes less than half a day and costs about $200. If you don't feel you have the skills or time to do it yourself, it will cost at least twice that.

I've done it twice, moving one opener to the side, and left one in the middle. Both have been working great for a year.

grayman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cant believe this topic just came up. Just called friend who installs garage doors for a living and he told me $400-$500 to modify existing double wide door to hug ceiling. I currently have an 8' tall x 18' wide double door and about 20' garage ceilings. Door currently goes up and is horizontal about 8' fro the ground. Friend said he needed new springs, track and some extra door panels. But he said it was no big deal.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">I had 3 quotes to move 8x9 foot door tracks and opener to 12 foot ceiling in order to fully utilize my Nussbaum double scissor lift. $1,200, $800 & $375. As many have stated you'll need door section, possibly a new spring, track sections and relocate existing opener.

When they see a Viper in the garage, the $ get multiplied. </FONT f>