Mopar PCM failed to add power

ewave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK,

Just got back from doing 8 dyno runs, comparing a Stock PCM to the Mopar PCM. We used the same Mopar PCM on both cars being tested.

MY car, a 97GTS, with 1.7 rollers, polished/ported heads, high flow cats, 3" Borla style exhaust, Ballenger Headers, K&N's and Smooth tubes.

With the STOCK PCM: 488.5 HP, 522.0 TORQUE

With MOPAR PCM (PN5007313): 481.5 HP and 525.8 TORQUE

The FA on the Stock PCM ranged from 14 at 4000 to 13.2 at 6000 with stock PCM.

FA with the MOPAR ranged from 13 at 4000 to 11.9 at 6000.

In my opinion the FA was a little lean with the stock PCM and a little rich with the MOPAR PCM.

I was VERY disappointed with the MOPAR PCM. I really expected that my car would benefit from it because of all the changes.

And while the PEAK Torque was 3 higher (a whopping 0.6%), it was lower on the chart at all places past 4700 rpm. The car lost 7 hp (1.4%) with the Mopar PCM.

The second car this was tested on was a 2001 ARC (owned my Monnie). The car has been driven for several 1000 miles with the Mopar PCM installed. The car had 1.7 rollers, no cats, no rear muffler smooth tubes and K&N's.

I don't have the chart here in front of me, from memory:

Mopar PCM 402 HP
Stock PCM 416 HP

The FA with the Mopar was all over the place, starting very lean 17-18 from 2000-3500, and then it gets overly rich going down to 12 at 6000 rpm.

The FA with the Stock PCM looked normal, varying from about 15 at 2000 rpm done to about 13 at 6000 rpm. (These are from memory so Monnie may correct this slightly).

What gives with the Mopar PCM? Does anyone KNOW how the timing was changed in it? Did they only get rid of the emissions monitoring code? Why did it have such an inconsistent FA ratio dependent on the RPMs?

Now, on my car I think that the Mopar PCM my be a good safely enhancement because running slightly rich is a guard against detonation, even at the expense of HP.

So even though there was no HP gain with the Mopar PCM, because the FA was slightly richer, I think it would be a good idea to permanently install one of these on my car. Does anyone have one they want to sell for $400? Send me an email. Or Any other suggestions are welcome.

BTW, if anyone thinks that the Mopar PCM needs to "learn my car", this will be tested: I have the one that Monnie is lending me installed, and I will run it for a week or two and then re-dyno.

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doesn't surprise me. We dyno'd a GEN 1 RT/10 less than a month ago that had the performance ECM. We then switched back to stock and got a 6HP peak gain...

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those things are *****! I don't know that anyone has ever gained anything from them. All they do is kill the check engine lights.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cost me 16HP on the dyno. It did take out the MIL. My A/F dipped below 10 with the 'performance' module.

Steve

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul: Post dyno info. after your car learns the PCM. My 97 has one on it and I am very interested in your results. BTW the hood and headlight look good, I love this car, but I still need to sell the 95 RT-10. Mike :D