Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Morning laugher - \"8AVIPER\" C5 on I-5

Don't know how to read that..
Could be

Ate a Viper
OR
Ain't a Viper

To each his own.... mighty tough to 'diss a Dodge Viper when out of the box they'll eat it for lunch. it's funny, when ppl have corvettes, then buy them because of performance, etc. With a plate like that, he's asking for it. But when a Viper is mentioned they quickly come back with "My C5 is more comfortable,has heated mirrors, automatic crotch scratching technology, etc" The corvetteforum board is notorious for it! LOL!! No disrespect, just an obvious observation.

Gerald

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>"My C5 is more comfortable,has heated mirrors, automatic crotch scratching technology, etc"
Gerald

[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hell, I'm buying a corvette! Automatic crotch scratching technology, yes!

BTW, does "8AVIPER" mean he got one once? Seems rather weak, compared to "C5EATER" or others, which indicate consistent performance....

David Jenkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've seen that cat cruisin' the 5 also. He had his dog in the passenger seat. Tried to give him the business in the Ram but he didn't want anything to do with me!!dj

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Kid,
I love it! Scramble the Viper -- LOL....
Chances are you would've roasted him unless he has some big-time mods. It is too bad that you didn't encounter him yourself!

Gerald,
Don't forget the famous argument that the Vette costs $40K less than a Viper, or whatever the latest fantasy numbers are.

OP
OP
G

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah, I know , I just got my 98, like new, 5k miles for just a LITTLE more than a new Vette..

Gerald

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Gerald, exactly. And your '98 will put down more power than a new Viper (no offense to new Viper owners...). Not that 15 extra hp stock matters when you're about to have Doug do some big-time mods....

Kid97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Morning laugher - \"8AVIPER\" C5 on I-5

Got a call from a buddy coming into the office this morning who saw a late model piss yellow C5 with the vanity tag "8AVIPER" on I-5 coming north in OC. Needless to say, I couldn't scramble the Viper soon enough to intercept. Silly tupperware driver
You must be registered for see images

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Venom Lover:
Gerald, exactly. And your '98 will put down more power than a new Viper (no offense to new Viper owners...). Not that 15 extra hp stock matters when you're about to have Doug do some big-time mods....

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why would the '98 put down more?

YellowSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Originally posted by Venom Lover:
"Gerald, exactly. And your '98 will put down more power than a new Viper (no offense to new Viper owners...). Not that 15 extra hp stock matters when you're about to have Doug do some big-time mods...."

I am thinking like "slaughterj"...
Why would it "put down more power?"

Is it because of more strict emissions regulations?

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The '98 will put down more power because it's broken in. Vipers seem to gain 10-20 HP over the first 10,000 miles.

Don't worry, your stock '01 car makes just as much power as previous years, in many cases slightly more. The pre-2000 cars typically make more power once you get into modifications because of their slightly more aggressive cam and (if you go to NOS or forced induction) forged pistons.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for the backup Yellowsnake, and thanks for the response treynor. I especially like it when I get more details, it's nice to get more than the 10K miles info, specifically that info on the mods for earlier vs later years.

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score

slaughterj and YellowSnake,
I'm just going by what I've observed from people posting dyno results. E.g., Kid97GTS and I both dyno'd pretty strong. I was at 425 rwhp totally stock with 7000 miles on the car. I think he was in that neighborhood as well. After 1998 (was it MY99 or MY00?) there was a redesign of the cam, as mentioned above. My understanding in reading JonB's article in the most recent VCA quarterly magazine is that this was done for emissions reasons.

Now we're seeing cars like Mumford's '00 ACR dynoing under 400 rwhp, and SoCal Rebell's '00 RT/10 at 425 rwhp after a bunch of mods (Arrow motor rebuild, headers, exhaust, high-flow cats, smooth tubes, filters, etc.). A subset of those mods were good for 30 rwhp for me (I don't have high-flow cats), and if roughly the same is true for SoCal, his car is around 400 rwhp or under stock.

This is just my observation based on limited data and knowledge. Let me know if there is some error in my facts or analysis....

I suppose it is possible that a more comprehensive look at people's dyno sheets would yield a different conclusion, since my sample size is limited. Also, as Ben suggests, perhaps mileage matters, though my 425 rwhp pull was with well under 10K miles on the car....

OP
OP
G

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mine is a 1998 and that cams really rumpity rumps when idling...
Also, I understand that the computer in '99's are less aggresive?

Gerald

YellowSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks, to everyone who shined some light on this subject.

slaughterj: No problem.