multiple extended warranties questions

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Figured I'd get these in before being banned for not being a viper owner yet
You must be registered for see images

1. If the base warranty has run out, can an extended one be obtained somehow?

2. I remember someone saying something about not having an extended warranty transferred to them, but rather to have it "cashed in" instead, and buy your own? Can this be done? Why do this unless you want to transfer it yourself later? How big of a loss do you end up taking by doing this? Wouldn't this create a problem under #1 above (or would you get the new one before taking off the old one)?

RECOIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My very first Viper was a 93 Red RT. I sold it with an extended warranty and transferred it. I believe the transfer price was $50 bucks.

I did the same thing with the second Viper. <grin> I haven't heard any complaints to date.

Steve

PS - I think it's less expensive if you buy an extended warranty with your car already under warranty. Correct me if I'm wrong guys.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NC VCA works closely with a local Viper-friendly dealer to assist members / new owners with extended warranties for all Viper applications. Some out of state folks have purchased as well, and have been pleased. Better to get ext. warranty while under original 3/36. Other options available for cars out of original warranty period though - with proper coverage for a Viper. Email me and we can help. How's the search going?????

Janni

Mark F

Enthusiast
Reaction score
-This is my first post on the VCA forum, and I thought you may find this information of interest.

-Three weeks ago I purchased a '97 GTS (Blue w/white stripes) with 39,500 miles. I bought it from an exotic used car dealer (no connection to Damiler Chrysler), and the only warranty was of the Maryland state-mandated 30 days/1,000 mi variety.

-After contacting a number of Dodge dealers in the area, I found one (Cook Motors, Aberdeen, MD) which issues D-C extended warranties, even if the vehicle's original D-C warrenty has lapsed. D-C has four levels of "Plans & Benefits" coverage in their "Pre-Owned Vehicle Protection" program (see their somemwhat non-user friendly website below for specifics).

-For $1,500 I purchased a 4 year/48 month extended "Added Care" warranty (the 3d most extensive of the four coverage levels), and I specified the highest deductible ($200 per visit). "Added Care" covers "Powertrain and Major Assembly Component Coverage on your engine, transmission, rear-wheel drive, steering, air conditioning, engine cooling and fuel, front suspension, electrical, brakes, and power group".

-Note the 4/48 coverage begins now, so the extended warranty is good (in my case) until 87,500 mi or May 2006, whichever comes first (and this is so stated on the purchase contract).

-I guess I'll see over time how effective the warranty is.

PS - the GTS did not come with an Owner's Manual, so I purchased one for $6.00 on-line at the D-C website (I also bought a '97 GTS Service Manual).

http://www.servicecontracts.chrysler.com/contract_info/frameset.html?plans&used

Mark F

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Note the 4/48 coverage begins now, so the extended warranty is good (in my case) until 87,500 mi or May 2006, whichever comes first (and this is so stated on the purchase contract).

-Oops, I meant to say May 2005. mf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine