My 08 SRTC Impressions after 400 miles...

Joe Dozzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm still discovering those things I like (most!) - and dislike (a few) - in my new 08 SRTC.

Like - Shift Arrow... Yellow indicator - in 1st, wait until it goes OUT before shifting. No need for a Skip-shift, just keep in it a little. And I just learned that same Shift Arrow goes Red at the higher end of the rpm range. Nice feature. (Give me a little break, I only have 400 miles on it so far!).

Like - All that factory power! And as I get more miles on it, it impresses me even more. I'm positive this is putting down more than my either my 98 or 01 - even with the 5psi Roe SC's they each had. (New car does have the Belanger system, need all the help I can get at 6000 ft in Denver area - thanks Woodhouse.)

Like - Brakes! Still learning the cars capabilities, but it's so far superior to my 98 or 01 it's not funny. And my 98 had an ABS retrofit w/6 piston Baer/Alcons fr with stock 4 pistons on rear. (Perhaps not news to Gen III owners, but I didn't quite like the Gen III's enough to make the switch.)

Dislike - the seats (at least compared to my 98 or 01 GTS's). A bit too narrow (or I'm too big) in the seats and shoulders for me.

Fix - The guys at Woodhouse were able to widen both slightly - but certainly enough for me. Great improvement!

Dislike - Shifter Knob Height. Shifter has great feel, I just don't like the height - way too tall. The Woodhouse guys have a "fix". It's documented in another thread, but basically they can shorten the height of the stock shifter (and thus the travel). Another great improvement.

Dislike - Ride... Let me clarify... The 08 is much better than either the 98 or 01 GTS's but it falls fall short - in my opinion - to my 06 Ford GT.

Fix - Motons. Just got the car back from (you guessed it) Woodhouse with their Eibach / Moton setup. Very, VERY nice improvement. Still may need some minor tweaking to match the GT, but a huge improvement over stock. And making the SRTC competitive with a car costing substantially more is saying something about the setup.

All-in-all, the 08 is far, FAR superior performer compared to my earlier Vipers. I guess that's no surprise, people have been saying that since the Gen III's came out. (But I still think the Gen II's look better!) Thanks Bill and Mark at Woodhouse! (And Dodge /SRT too!)

Also, my modded SRTC is now a very close second to my 06 GT w/pulley and tune. I think both are definitely keepers!

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Joe.....If you would like, I could drive your 08 a few months and let you know what the differences (likes & dislikes) would be with my 05 S/C'd....3:55's Comm. Edition........well, it was a thought anyway.......on my 05.....I have to agree on the shifter knob height......I rectified that with an MGW short throw shifter, and the handling was completely changed with Eibachs.......obvisouly the power was totally altered with the S/C and the 3:55's. Thanks for your input.

Jeff Monheim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Joe I like your post! I have an SSG 08. I would like to know more about the ride. Suspension change Stock shocks and springs to motons. Smoother, stiffer, height change?
I agree with I like the looks of the Gen II better I also just sold my 2002 rt10. But I had to have the SSG and 600HP. I also went to the MGW shift knob, and painted the dash bezel around the radio and shifter to match the SSG exterior, it looks hot! I am putting on Eurotech 2 piece rotors also. I love this car but have never driven a Ford GT. Let me know. About the shocks if you would.

OP
OP
J

Joe Dozzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Jeff,

The ride quality is a real subjective thing... The Ford GT is a much more firm, but not harsh, incredibly stable ride - in my opinion - compared to a stock 08 SRTC. The GT feels incredibly precise and like it's absolutely glued to a set of rails. The SRTC - again, in my opinion - felt a little less stable, almost "bouncy" compared to the GT. Again, just by comparison... If i didn't have the GT, I'd have been pretty thrilled by the SRTC compared to my 98 or 01 Gen II GTS's.

I spoke with Mark Jorgensen at Woodhouse and he very quickly understood where I wanted the SRTC to be and recommended their Eibach / Moton setup. They did the install, re-alignment and initial bounce / rebound settings on the Motons. Setting are - if I remember them correctly - still a bit on the "softer" side of the Moton adjustment range.

New setup also lowers the car a little bit. I've not put a tape measure to it, but i believe mark mentioned ~1inch in front and ~3/4inch in the rear. Bit more aggressive look and still clears little "dip" in my driveway.

I wish I could have driven the SRTC a bit more before having to leave town on business... But I did notice immediately the sorta "bouncy" feeling was gone and the ride much more solid. Firm, solid and secure, just as I'd wanted, yet still quite comfortable. In my opinion, the Eibachs / Motons are a huge improvement over stock and well worth the cost. I might actually firm the Motons up a bit more when I get back and take the two cars to one of our local track days. or maybe just one of our local 'spirited" runs.

An SC 05 with 3.55's... Tempting to trade for a bit... But I gotta say thanks, but no thanks! I had 3.55's in my 98 with the Roe... traction was ok in Denver... At sea level (or closer to it), you must have good connections to a tire shop! And be having a great time!

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe;

Glad you like the base car and the mods.

Since I live down in Highlands Ranch, I would like to get together with you as I think it will help us both out. I have an 06' Coupe with a couple of mods on it that you would like to try for your car. I have the Woodhouse modified shifter assembly and a shortened factory shift knob for you to see if you like it. I had a factory shift knob shortened 2 inches and absolutely love it.

Now for my help, I have seriously been looking at the eibach moton set-up but want a stable ride right now and definitely need to remove the bounce on my car. You know the concrete roads here in Colorado and I have to carry around a **** bag in the car just in case. The factory bounce is beyond ridiculous. Anyway, I would like to see and most inportantly feel the ride with eibach/motons on a car.

I also have 3.55 gears, lightweight flywheel and full Bellanger exhaust system on, in case you want to look at a post gen 2 set-up. Just PM me and maybe we cna get hookedup sometime.

Rick

Vypr GT2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<<Dislike - the seats (at least compared to my 98 or 01 GTS's). A bit too narrow (or I'm too big) in the seats and shoulders for me.

Fix - The guys at Woodhouse were able to widen both slightly - but certainly enough for me. Great improvement!>>

The lack of room in these areas of the seats is my number one dislike on my new '08. How did Woodhouse widen them for you- some sort of cutting and restuffing/reshaping to the seats?

OP
OP
J

Joe Dozzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have the details of exactly how they widened the seat bottom and seat back AND still fit in the available space. Mark Jorgensen is often online and may want to chime in... Or you might want to contact him directly at Woodhouse.

I can say it is a big improvement and that you wouldn't know anything was done just looking at it...

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Joe......you would be very surprized with the way the car puts the power to the ground. Being an old drag racer from the 60's (yes I'm that old), we had a saying that the engine could "catch up to the gearing". What that meant is that the 3:55's seem to be the true match for the engine rpms, and with just a little throttle management, it's a real monster. When you can drive a car on street tires that easily runs into the mid 10's......well, enough said. I will be in Colorado for 8 days (early August) to help my brother-in-law get his new Chiropractic office set up. Maybe we can hook up while I'm there. I will be in Longmont......if you'd care to touch base, my cell phone # is 602-558-0333.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the comparisons - love to read comparisons. I would think it would be tough to match the Ford GT in suspension because it rides closer to the ground so it's going to be more stable (lower CG). What do you think?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth