My Avatar -

gringoray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gentlemen -

I would like to use a custom image as my avatar but it´s not working.

Please advise

Thanks

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to use a custom image as my avatar but it´s not working.
Alas, avatars are not offered to non-paying site visitors. Ready for the long version? Here you go!

We have basically three "classes" of members here: Enthusiast (no Viper and not a VCA member); Viper Owner (owns a Viper but not a VCA member); and VCA Member (top honors). We also have VCA officers, site sponsors, moderators, admins, web committee members, Comp Coupe owners, and more. Oh yeah, and Banned, but they don't post much. ;)

Now we manually check every VIN or VCA membership number submitted with a profile before we can change the titles. We do it when new users register on the site but previously registered users that were moved to this new software back in April may have lost their "designation". All you need to do is send me (Y2K5SRT) or Lee (Lee00blacksilverGTS) a PM and we will get you verified accordingly. What are the differences between these various titles? Lots:

Enthusiast (unpaid guests)
  • Posting privileges in general Viper forums only
  • Unable to view or post in VCA Member forum
  • Unable to post in the VCA Regional forums
  • Unable to post in VCA Viper Events and Gatherings forum
  • Unable to have an avatar
  • Unable to post a signature
  • Gallery privileges up to 3 MB of uploads
  • Up to 100 Private Messages allowed
  • Classified ad posting of $30 per ad
As a Viper owner your benefits are no more than an "Enthusiast" - not bad, but not NEARLY as much as a VCA Member:

Viper Owner (unpaid guests)
  • Posting privileges in general Viper forums only
  • Unable to view or post in VCA Member forum
  • Unable to post in the VCA Regional forums
  • Unable to post in VCA Viper Events and Gatherings forum
  • Unable to have an avatar
  • Unable to post a signature
  • Gallery privileges up to 3 MB of uploads
  • Up to 100 Private Messages allowed
  • Classified ad posting of $30 per ad
And if you are a Viper Owner and on the fence about VCA membership, don't be: Besides getting a VIPER magazine subscription, VCA Notes, invitations to all VCA events, $1,000,000 worth of liability insurance at those same Viper events, eligibility for all VCA raffles, etc. And here is what you get on this very website:

VCA Member (paid members)
  • Posting privileges in all general Viper Forums
  • Posting & viewing privileges in VCA Members forum
  • Posting privileges in VCA Regional forums
  • Posting privileges in VCA Viper Events and Gatherings forum
  • Ability to upload and display personal avatar (Vipers only please)
  • Ability to write and use personal signature for all posts
  • Gallery privileges up to 500 MB of uploads
  • Up to 5000 Private Messages allowed
  • FREE Classified ad posting
  • Access to exclusive SRT merchandise in VCA Members forum
  • Future exclusives such as VCA private auctions, online renewals, and much more!
As a Viper owner you are eligible to join the VCA with a VERIFIABLE Dodge Viper VIN. If you wish to join the VCA simply call VCA headquarters at 800-998-1110 with your credit card and VIN in hand. Just $100 for renewals and only $80 (second quarter promotion) for new members. As demonstrated above, if you are currently listed as an Enthusiast and want your status upgraded to Viper Owner, drop a PM to either Lee (Lee00blacksilverGTS) or Chris (Y2K5SRT) with your Viper VIN and we will get you set up as quickly as possible. Just remember that if you really want to get the very most from this site, VCA Membership is the King of the Hill - take your Viper ownership to the next level!

Thanks for visiting,

Chris

OP
OP
G

gringoray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris -

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I also thank you and all the hard working people behind this Board including all the Moderators for maintaining this Board with integrity and high moral. I admire and appreciate you and the Moderators for enforcing the rules and keeping the peace so that everyone feels welcomed. I for one have learned a great deal about Dodge Vipers on ViperClub.org and I think I speak for everyone - THANKS A LOT.

Chris, one more thing. I would like to make a generous cash donation to the Board to show my appreciation. How and where can I go about doing this?

Last edited:

Fastrrr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris,

I put my VCA Number (I am a current member)in and my vin number on my profile but it does not let me post an avatar? who do I contact to fix the problem? I don't see any contact information on the site?

Scott :usa:
CC-2 Comp Coupe

V

Venomiss

Chris,

I put my VCA Number (I am a current member)in and my vin number on my profile but it does not let me post an avatar? who do I contact to fix the problem? I don't see any contact information on the site?

CC-2 Comp Coupe

This is from the top of this thread-PM Lee or Chris:
As a Viper owner you are eligible to join the VCA with a VERIFIABLE Dodge Viper VIN. If you wish to join the VCA simply call VCA headquarters at 800-998-1110 with your credit card and VIN in hand. Just $100 for renewals and only $80 (second quarter promotion) for new members. As demonstrated above, if you are currently listed as an Enthusiast and want your status upgraded to Viper Owner, drop a PM to either Lee (Lee00blacksilverGTS) or Chris (Y2K5SRT) with your Viper VIN and we will get you set up as quickly as possible. Just remember that if you really want to get the very most from this site, VCA Membership is the King of the Hill - take your Viper ownership to the next level!

Please note that they will check you number manually so it may take a bit-hope this helps!

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris,

CC-2 Comp Coupe
Scott -

That "Venomiss" lady alerted me to your post so you can save your PM: The system does not automatically recognize VCA member numbers or VIN's, it has to be done manually. Now that we were alerted to verify yours we did just that - you should be all set!

Welcome to all the benefits being a VCA Member has to offer. Now go upload your avatar! :2tu:

Chris

Cobra4B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty stupid that this forum doesn't allow the use of at least an avatar so users who are not viper owners can still personalize their online appearance.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty stupid that this forum doesn't allow the use of at least an avatar so users who are not viper owners can still personalize their online appearance.

That's what this site is all about---VIPERS!~! :D Note the top 'o the page Viper Club of America~~for all to learn about and appreciate VIPERS, which you must if you are posting here~~we welcome everybody, but there have to be 'perks' for VCA members!~!
ENJOY....juli

Cobra4B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^ Yes... the site is dedicated to vipers... but this is the only forum I'm on that completely restricts avatar and signature usage in this manner.

Supraforums is dedicated to.. um.. Supras, but I still have an avatar and a sig on there. The cleanest way to do things is to allow an avatar, but restrict signatures to 4 lines of text only. Keeps things clean and streamlined while still allowing some personalization.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^ Yes... the site is dedicated to vipers... but this is the only forum I'm on that completely restricts avatar and signature usage in this manner.
Supraforums is dedicated to.. um.. Supras, but I still have an avatar and a sig on there. The cleanest way to do things is to allow an avatar, but restrict signatures to 4 lines of text only. Keeps things clean and streamlined while still allowing some personalization.

You have a good point...but I'm guessing the rules were made for a reason...guess the moderator would have to chime in here if he wishes! :cool: ~juli

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Apparently you aren't on very many forums then, and certainly none run by a national car club with dues-paying members. Nonetheless, I checked out supraforums.com and found the following:
  1. They have no galleries - VCA Members have a MAJOR amount of upload capacity and we even give "passerbys" like you some
  2. They have no Classifieds pages
  3. They have no Chat program
  4. They disabled the search function (which might explain why you don't use it here)
  5. They have no National event calendar - itself tied into the regional web sites
  6. They don't have a car club some 4,000 members strong to back them up
  7. And they certainly don't have the manufacturers support
  8. They don't spend five figures a year to keep everything current and functioning properly (we do)
  9. Oh yeah, and they aren't allowing ANY new registrations - at least not right now. Lot of good an avatar does you when you can't even have an account.
But here is what they do have (or say) as posted in their FAQ's and admin threads:
  1. This board is not your soap box, we don't hold hands, and we only sing Irish drinking songs (although certain poetry is also acceptable). Saying, "you guys are a bunch of big meanie heads" will be of no help as we don't care.
  2. Saying, "I'm going to take my ball and go home" will be of no help, as we are well stocked in balls and don't need your wussy pink ball cluttering up the place anyway.
  3. Anyone schooled in economics is familiar with Gresham's Law: bad money drives out good. Well, indifferent moderating invites a Gresham's Law of Online Interaction: idiotic postings drive away contributors who have something interesting to say.
  4. ABSOLUTELY no advertising a competing car forum of any kind in any place in your profile, signature, avatar, or user name.
  5. ABSOLUTELY NO EBAY LINKS allowed on the forums. You can show a part, discuss it, but DO NOT post a link to the auction or the person selling the item for sale.
  6. Before you post, be prepared to have your opinions questioned, ripped on, torn up, or worse.
  7. And one of my personal faves: Openly disagreeing or questioning a moderator or administrators decision will get you immediately and permanantly (sic) banned. No trying to "rally the troops" in support of your efforts to question a moderator or administrator. This has been recently done and is completely against the rules here.
You see Mr. Cobra4B, you come in here and troll for information, pointedly insult the car that most of us drive, and now you want to know why YOU, a non-Viper owner, non-VCA member, can't have an avatar or signature. Well, I don't think it really needs any explanation at this point, does it?

Buy a Viper, pony up the money to join the Viper Club (you know - the one that owns and operates this site), and we will give you your avatar and everything else that comes with it. Until then you are a visitor in our house and we would ask you to be polite and quit questioning the house rules. This isn't the Supra forum, but I suspect we could put a vote to our web committee to see about adding #6 if that would make you feel more at home.

TwinTurbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You see Mr. Cobra4B, you come in here and troll for information, pointedly insult the car that most of us drive, and now you want to know why YOU, a non-Viper owner, non-VCA member, can't have an avatar or signature. Well, I don't think it really needs any explanation at this point, does it?

Buy a Viper, pony up the money to join the Viper Club (you know - the one that owns and operates this site), and we will give you your avatar and everything else that comes with it. Until then you are a visitor in our house and we would ask you to be polite and quit questioning the house rules.

Thank Chris....
I couldn't have said it better myself!!
:clap2:

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey I'm an enthusiast! Yay! I guess that means the 2000 ACR and my current GT-1 racecar wasnt/isnt a Viper either! I guess I should probably call Grassroots Motorsports and tell them to make an edit to this month's magazine....what should I tell them my car is?

FWIW, I used to be in the VCA when I lived in North Carolina. There just isnt much goin' on here in terms of events etc. where I live now. It aint the money, cuz I have a few quarters in the couch cushions. I probably would join but am a little annoyed at the way ya'll just removed avatars and sigs from 6-year members! Maybe should have grandfathered "contributors" to this forum. At least get your classes of people right.

off soapbox.

ViperJay

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bugeater must be high class, I can tell from the name. Tell grassroots the truth about your car, the world needs rusted mustangs too.... Your post has no relavance whatsoever. If you wish to ***** about how you dont have a pretty little picture next to your "way cool" screen name, go shake your couch out and pay the friggen $100. In the absence of that, shut your pie hole.

Sorry to others reading this but that stuff just really gets on my nerves.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Callaghen