My Battery is dead ! What to buy? Are Optimas worth it? and do they fit ?

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my 96 in 2001 and had to buy a new battery then. Now 5 years later mine is finally dead (almost). I replaced it back then with a factory battery.

No complaints here since the life seems to be 5 years. I'm tempted just to go back to the dealer and get another factory one. My good friend suggested going with a Optima. I went to their website and the website said not available for the Viper (92-2002) WTH?. I called my local Sears and they said yeah I got one. I said does your book list it? He says "No but it's a group 78 (size,shape and location of post-I guess) and it should fit (red top). How much? He says $134. OK

I have another friend that owns a Acura NSX with a Optima (red top) battery and he told me that he has replaced his 2 times in three years. His car is barely driven. He says they are a POS. He tells me he now keeps a battery tender on it all the time just so it won't go dead?

I did do a search here on this subject and some say they fit,some say they don't
Some said they modified (used a bottle jack) on their battery tray in order for it to fit. WTH? I know you can mount these in different positions but if it don't bolt directly in then I don't want to mess with it. I also read the battery post(tops) come very close to the frame? I guess if you want one bad enough you can make it fit but like my post heading says.

Are they worth it?

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 96' RT/10 as well and replaced my battery with an Optima Redtop a couple months ago. So far, no problems at all. I drive my car mainly as a weekend playtoy. The battery fit without any problems at all.

OP
OP
V

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have the part# for the one you got

Just how close were the top post to the frame? That's my biggest concern.

What other benefit do they have. Lighter or ?

I guess if I buy one I could throw away the battery mat. No battery acid to worry about.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never knew the part #. I just called the battery place and had them look it up. I paid about $150 for it. Other places might sale a little cheaper, but this was the only place who had one in stock. Not sure if its any weight savings or not. I had a battery mat as well, but had to remove it to get the battery to fit. I'd say you have maybe .5" between the top post and frame. Its a tight fit, but as long as you bolt the battery down, you shouldnt have any concerns with it touching the frame.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: My Battery is dead ! What to buy? Are Optimas worth it? and do they fit

screw the optima. Get a direct replacement Interstate battery. $80 and if it fails in 18 months, FREE (not pro-rated) replacement. The optimas are nothing but [potential] trouble. Get an Interstate and it is a direct fit/replacement.

JD

96 B&W GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Optima does not fit in a GTS. You either have to put the battery in sideways or modify the battery tray. They fit fine in a RT/10.

A friend of mine bought one because he was always having problems with dead batteries (he doesn't drive his car much). The Optima did not last any longer.

The one good thing about them is that they do not leak.

Bill

trainville

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

Make sure it's a type 78 and go with it! Just make sure to get the sealed type. I made the mistake once of settling on a battery in which you could add water - BIG MISTAKE. After some spirited driving and a few potholes, the caps loosened and spilled battery acid.

Just make sure it's a series 78 and MAINTENANCE-FREE.

These guys are right, you can find a really good battery that will slip right in for $60-$90. Hope that helps.

BOGOTA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Serious, screw the optima! I have owned 4 Optimas, 2 ellow tops and 2 red tops on some of my other cars. They have always given me issues with draining, what gives??? I recently replaced two of those batteries with Sears Diehard and no issues for 9 months so far..

OP
OP
V

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for the replies.

It seems for the most part nobody thinks they (Optima) are worth double the cost of a standard battery. Money is not the issue for me as much as performance and reliability. I don't need to remind anyone just how easy it is to get to the battery(LOL) :crazy:

Then no matter what brand I buy. Nobody is going to see it anyway.

It seems the Optima is more of a technology/looks kind of thing.

Not worth it to me either. I'll just go buy a regular battery

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm almost due for a new battery. I'm just going to go down to Sears and pick one up. From what I've read Optimas are not worth it.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
.......I guess if I buy one I could throw away the battery mat. No battery acid to worry about.

STOP !! BAD IDEA. That 'mat' has a temperature sensor that takes that the battery temperature to prevent alternator overcharging during headlight / AC use and high-charging periods. BE CAREFUL to watch for fuel pump and temp sensor lines to the battery.

SEARS DIE HARD is my favorite....and I store Vipers over-winter.

OP
OP
V

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
.......I guess if I buy one I could throw away the battery mat. No battery acid to worry about.

STOP !! BAD IDEA. That 'mat' has a temperature sensor that takes that the battery temperature to prevent alternator overcharging during headlight / AC use and high-charging periods. BE CAREFUL to watch for fuel pump and temp sensor lines to the battery.

SEARS DIE HARD is my favorite....and I store Vipers over-winter.

Thanks

John B comes thru again

And I thought the mat was for battery leakage only. I was talking about throwing away my mat if I got a Optima. I'll keep my mat and will be going to sears tommorrrow.

Thanks again

Ivory

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought both the Optima Red and the Diehard today. The Optima was $149.00 and the Diehard was $89.00. The Diehard is a tight fit and the Optima is an even tighter fit.

The dealer told me that if you run stereo equipment and need a looker battery which can sit longer over winter than your average battery then go with the Optima.

I chose the Diehard. Fired first turn and works like a charm for $60.00 less. It's also a better fit.

my 02.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

screw the optima. Get a direct replacement Interstate battery. $80 and if it fails in 18 months, FREE (not pro-rated) replacement. The optimas are nothing but [potential] trouble. Get an Interstate and it is a direct fit/replacement.

JD

I just replaced my OEM--over 6 yrs. old/55,500 miles/stored in the winter battery ---at JDs advice. Thought I had an idle air control motor problem, but it was the battery. The OEM battery still had a bright green eye and read 12.62 volts. I kept it for a spare for the other vehicles.

That being said, I bought the Interstate MT-78 last Friday, as he advised, because of the perfect fit. There has been much talk of fit problems with Viper batteries. The Interstate matches up exactly. $68 + tax.

Consumer Reports did a battery test thing a few months ago. The Walmart Everstart brand came out ahead of most, including the Interstate. They had not faired that well previously in their tests. I wasn't sure how it would fit up, so went with the Interstate. Interstate is a reputable company and has been around for a long time.

Thanks for the tip JD.

Steve

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The "ease" of getting to the battery is one of the main reasons I went for a maintenance free optima redtop. I'm not sure how true it is, but the guy who sold me the battery said he's had a optima redtop in his car for 7 years with no problems. Seems like (not positive tho) my receipt said the battery has a 7 year 100% replacement guarantee if it fails

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The battery mat I was talking about having to remove was an aftermarket one I had bought from roe Racing that was only for battery acid. BUT, I dont remember seeing any other battery mat under there. Seems like the battery sat directly on the tray. Is the mat Jon B is talking about a Gen 2 thing? The battery I replaced was a OEM battery, but I'm not sure if it was the original battery, so could someone have removed the factory battery mat w/the sensor in it?

Silver98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After more than 6 years with the original, I tried an Optima Red Top for my 98 RT/10 and it didn't fit. Took it back to Costco and bought their battery which is a direct replacement (exactly the same size as the original, but with better performance and a 3-year free replacement).

I did not find any mat. The sensor is on the back wall of the tray.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too tried an Optima for my 2000 GTS...no go. I went with an Interstate as well.

I have friends with an auto parts store. They sell Optima and Interstate. Lots of Optimas come back well before the warranty is out.

I think the best thing for a Viper battery is a Battery Tender of other slow charge fully auto maintainer. I rigged mine up with a cigarette lighter plug so it's easy to hook up.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interstate: MTP-78, 85 month, about $90.00

I replaced the original (1996) battery with this one in August of 2005.
OH, DEFINITELY a Battery Tender.

Later,

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Don,

I think the MTP has top and side posts. The shop I bought mine from last week had both there. The sidepost only battery he sold me was written up as a MT-78

Battery Tender is a must for the off season. ---Not necessary during the driving season.

Steve

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve,
You are probably correct, I just read the MTP from the invoice, it was a side post only. I didn't look at the battery - a little hard to see, as you know. At any rate it is a good battery, and fits with no "post" interference (side post only).

Later,

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Battery is a group 78 side post.

Interstate Battery:

MTP-78 is 1,000 amp with 85 month

MT-78 is 825 amp with 75 month

These are side only and are same dimensions.

The top and side models end in "-DT"
http://www.ibsa.com/www_2001/content/products/product_auto.asp?mscssid=LN4V2C592RTD8N67E72JPKH3XQCTFVD9&js=1

Don,

I think the MTP has top and side posts. The shop I bought mine from last week had both there. The sidepost only battery he sold me was written up as a MT-78

Battery Tender is a must for the off season. ---Not necessary during the driving season.

Steve

TooEvil

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I put an Optima Red Top in mine about 6 months ago and it works beautifully (BTW, they DO fit in a GTS without mods - at least it went perfectly into mine).

Also, Sears Die Hard = Costco brand. Same manufacturer for both. Go to Costco for your die hard. Read that on ConsumerReports.com

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Factory battery lasted six years, no leaks or issues. Put in another OEM battery for under a hundred dollars. No mat under original ACR tray, but does have the temp sensor in back.

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I just bought an Optima last fall and kept it on the trickle charger all winter.

Drove the car twice in April, then let it sit for 2 months because I was doing some work on the car. Went to start it and it was dead, brand new battery dead in the middle of summer because the car was not started.

I say screw the Optima and get the OEM battery. I had that thing for 5 years in the car and not once did I have a starting problem, even after having the stereo and amp playing for hours while detailing the car.

In my opinion Optima = JUNK :(

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Battery is a group 78 side post.

Interstate Battery:

MTP-78 is 1,000 amp with 85 month

MT-78 is 825 amp with 75 month

These are side only and are same dimensions.

The top and side models end in "-DT"
http://www.ibsa.com/www_2001/content/products/product_auto.asp?mscssid=LN4V2C592RTD8N67E72JPKH3XQCTFVD9&js=1

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don,

Steve

Marv is correct. Must have got a bum steer back then on the verbiage. DT is the dual post model. MT/MTP are both side posts. This battery is a perfect fit.

Steve

OP
OP
V

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I just bought an Optima last fall and kept it on the trickle charger all winter.

Drove the car twice in April, then let it sit for 2 months because I was doing some work on the car. Went to start it and it was dead, brand new battery dead in the middle of summer because the car was not started.

I say screw the Optima and get the OEM battery. I had that thing for 5 years in the car and not once did I have a starting problem, even after having the stereo and amp playing for hours while detailing the car.

In my opinion Optima = JUNK :(

That opinion is the most popular. That's why I went with OEM. $75 and I know how long the factory ones last. 5 yrs. I replaced my original at 5 years and now 5 years later again. I can live with that. I don't see all the hype!

OP
OP
V

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score

[/QUOTE]
That opinion is the most popular. That's why I went with OEM. $75 and I know how long the factory ones last. 5 yrs. I replaced my original at 5 years and now 5 years later again. I can live with that. I don't see all the hype!

[/QUOTE]

Sorry
I was talking about the Optimas

roofum

Enthusiast
Reaction score

INTERSTATE ,SEARS,MOPAR,ANY ONE WILL WORK FOR A SOLID THREE YEARS THEN ITS ANYBODYS GUESS .PRETTY MUCH LIKE YOU DAILY DRIVER