My butt is always dirty...

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously, back end of my car is always covered with black dust/soot - I presume from the exhaust??? My borla tips are right at the edge of the bumper so I presume it's exahust that's causing the dusting?

Is this normal or do I need some tunning to make it run leaner?

Thanks!

Nuck

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Lots of people complain about that. I would rely on your plug color to determine if the car is running too rich, not the exhaust soot.

OP
OP
S

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nuck, good point - I changed plugs recently and it appeared to be "normal" - hot hot spots or strange pieces missing. Glad to know I am not alone. I washed/waxed yesterday, went for a 15min run, and my rear was soiled

Nuck

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dirty that fast? I wonder if the high flow cats contribute to the problem? I used to get very tiny specks on the back of my stock 03 Z06(also yellow) but that turned out to be brake dust. Yellow shows crap worse than any other color I think.

radta7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is normal. Just the aerodynamics of the car. All the dust settles there on all the GTS'2 I have seen. Exhaust is does not matter.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Don't forget that the Viper "barely" passes smog, and does have a fairly dirty exhaust, even when it was new and in good shape. If the "dust" smears like an oily soot, that is exaust gasses settling, but if its just dirt, that's the road dust picked up by the aero effect. If you track your car, you may also be ingesting valve cover overflow under heavy braking, this can account for oily residue on the rear bumper.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has nothing to do with cats. Stock is dirty. Duster comes in handy.

I hate this as well but I find the duster does not really work. There is still a rough feeling on the bumper. Need something to remove the rough "particals". Any ideas?

WILDASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I hate this as well but I find the duster does not really work. There is still a rough feeling on the bumper. Need something to remove the rough "particals". Any ideas?
Keith,I have the same problem on the back of my Vette-detailing spray seems to work on most of it;if any of the particles are really stubborn,a claybar takes care of those.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you do not want to use a car duster on brake dust! the next time you use the duster on the car you will have the brake pad friction material on the duster and be dragging it across your painted finish!!!!!

OP
OP
S

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Markus - I am sure very soon it will be bier garden time!

Trainville - point well taken ;) I've decide to wipe with z6 and towel - beats toilet paper.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Keith,I have the same problem on the back of my Vette-detailing spray seems to work on most of it;if any of the particles are really stubborn,a claybar takes care of those.

Thank. I will definitly try that.

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sylvan, I don't think that much of the soot is brake dust. But, regardless, grinding it into the paint is not a good idea. I use the duster to "dust" not to grind, between washings. I like the idea of localized washing with the windshield fluid. I'm going to give it a try.

NOTV8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just another reason for me to wash and detail the car...

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sylvan, I don't think that much of the soot is brake dust. But, regardless, grinding it into the paint is not a good idea. I use the duster to "dust" not to grind, between washings. I like the idea of localized washing with the windshield fluid. I'm going to give it a try.

What exactly is localized washer fluid by the way? Just regular washer fluid or does it say localized? I know it sounds dumb, but figured I would ask.

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What exactly is localized washer fluid by the way? Just regular washer fluid or does it say localized? I know it sounds dumb, but figured I would ask.

:bonker:

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is normal. Just the aerodynamics of the car. All the dust settles there on all the GTS'2 I have seen. Exhaust is does not matter.

I always find sand on the back bumper, no matter how long or fast I'm driving.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc